PDA

View Full Version : 1985 YTM 200ER engine problems..help!

yellowhammer
03-10-2004, 11:02 PM
MY ytm200 ER has a major problem and i dont know what the source could be.. when im driving her after about an hour she will seize up,, just like locks up and engine dies. i chekked the oil, she got lots, then after a minute or so, she will do it again. i dunno what it could be, now when I start her up in the shed she starts best kind but she got a nasty "ticking" noise in the head and it ticks faster at higher RPMs, and sometimes as soon as you touch the throttle, she dies. AND ( again) haha there is a hell of alot more compression when hauling her over then before all this happened. a friend told me it could be the valves, or the cam, or the rocker arms, or timing chain, im not sure myself, im no Xpert when it comes to engines, even if they are sooo small...... any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated..

tecatecrazy
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
have you rebuilt the top end lately?? I have heard of pistons swelling on fresh top ends causing seizure. usually an error of the person who did the bore work. just a thought

thefox
03-11-2004, 12:14 AM
I think that there is an oil check bolt in the top end. Maybe the oil passage is blocked preventing oil from getting up into the cam. Check on the back of the head on the right side of the intake, there should be a bolt there. You start up the trike and then unscrew the bolt, if oil come out that is good you jsut have to quickly put the bolt back in.