PDA

View Full Version : 85,86 350X stator ???s

DIGGER DOG
03-08-2004, 08:21 PM
I just bought another motor for my big X project,and its an 86 and unfortunately was full of water,The flywheel is all rusted up and the stator is too,I do have another motor an 85 with an exellent stator and flywheel,
there seems to be some little differences between the two stators and flywheels the 85 parts look a little bigger than the 86.
Will I be able to put the 85 flywheel and stator on the 86 motor??
Also considering there was water in the motor should I just rebuild the whole thing?I planned on first getting it running,run it (not ride it ) to get the oil flowing through it then change the oil and repeat the process a few times the motor seems to have good compression and was not locked up
Im sure I can have the motor rebuilt for about $800.00 but i do not have the money Ive also run out of funds for my 86 SX project too so I have to do with what Ive got for now.

hrc200x
03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I never knew of any flywheel/stator differences from '85 to '86, can you take a picture? Could it be possible that someone threw a stator and fly wheel in your parts engine from another bike? like a XL 350 or somthing? Do the plug in's on the end of the wires look the same?

Xowner
03-09-2004, 04:07 PM
yes their were to diffrent stators 86 and 85 were diffrent you can interchange them and the plugs and stuff are the same i switch my 86 350X with a 85 and it worked fine i think it even made it go faster ;)

DIGGER DOG
03-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Out frikkin standing, as soon as I get an impact gun im doing the conversion hopefully the beast lives if not itll be rebuilt.
cant take pics now and the plug ins are the same I think the differences are the stator (pick ups)?? I guess youd call em? well theres 14 on the 86 and like 17 on the 85 well lets put it this way the fly wheel and stator on the 86 are smaller than the 85 may be in an effort to save weight I dunno
but there is a differance and Im glad I got ahold of somone who has done this thanks Xowner. thank you too hrc200x

hrc200x
03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Digger: as for your other questions about water in the bottom end, if it looks clean I'd think you'd be ok to get it going and then change the oil alot, but if it has rusted the flywheel it might have also rusted the bottom end gears. So if that stuff starts flaking off you might have bigger problems. And if water could get in the bottom end does this mean that other stuff could have also? Was it stored with the top end removed? Or did the water go down the crank case breather hole?

DIGGER DOG
03-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I really dont know how the water got in there probably the breather hole
as the motor was complete and in a frame when i bought it ,so yea there is a chance other stuff is in the motor too as the flywheel cover was busted from the chain popping off it was frankensteined with JB weld the same with my 85 motor there was a little water in the 85 but not much.
I may well try to sell my 650 and my 2 500s to come up with the jack to buy a crate motor on e bay.