PDA

View Full Version : how do you change tri-z fork seals??

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-07-2004, 09:52 PM
need kind of a step by step process to change them ,and what weight oil to install,and how much,.i dont need a fork driver do i???thanks!

nipper
03-08-2004, 11:57 AM
hi i changed my fork seals last week and i will tell you how I did it (most definatly not the way u are ment to do it as i didn't use any special tools!)

1. drain oil fron drain bolt at botton of forks

2. undo (black) top cap (by the handle bars) and undo big nut and take out the two spings and seperator washer.

3.take the front forks off

4. take off fork boots

5. under boots is an dust seal and under that is an clip thing! take these out (i used nedle nose pliers for the ring and knife to leaver the dust seal up!)

6. u are ment to put oil in the forks (but no air by compressing them and putting the top bolt back on when oil is at top) and compress them till the seal pops out
but i couldent get this to work (i put air compressor on up to 210psi then thought that this was a bad idea n let air back out)

what i did was undo the alen key whole at the botton of the fork and pull the upper part of the fork up till the seal popped out!! easy!

7. there will be two metal rings n a washer
i put the bigger ring around 1/4 of the smaller ring at the bottom of the seperated fork so it would sit in its grove then banged it down so the rings seperated and the smaller ring had stayed in its groove now inside the fork.
i got the bigger ring into the fork by clamping it with my hand and putting it in its place a bit then bashing the washer onto it with a punch (i hit it hard)

8. i put the new seal in with a punch and then the clip and dust seal!!

9. befor putting spring back in compress fork and fill with "10w front fork oil" 15cm from the top for the fork.

thats how i did it and its been fine ever since
but i wouldn't recomend the hammer and punch idea as i recon i was lucky that i didn't damage it!!!!
hope this helped
nipps

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
thank you for your help!! :D