PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z kick starter problems

Groundworx
03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
I have a 1985 TRI-Z 250. I recently broke the clutch cover next to the kick starter. I have heard this is a common problem. I won an auction on Ebay for another one. Well, I pieced mine back together enough to ride it. I was just going to pull start it with another bike. Here is the deal. When we was pulling it, the rear tires were turning, but the the motor wasn't. The rear tires were not turning the crank. I pulled it back up to the trailer and noticed that the kick starter was jammed and will not move at all. Has anyone had this problem? I am guessing this is was broke my cover. I should recieve this other clutch cover this week. I wanted to know what the problem might be before I tear into it to replace the cover. So I will know what to look for.

Thanks
Scott

TRI Z Racer
03-09-2004, 11:47 PM
sorry man, i havent the foggyest idea, was the trike in nuetral or something, only way to find out is tear it part slowly and diagnose the problem

TimSr
03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
If it was in gear and had a chain on it, the only way you can turn the wheels without moving the crank is if the some gears arent meshing. It should be real obvious when you remove the cover, and until you look at it, theers not much point in trying to guess.

Groundworx
03-10-2004, 04:47 PM
As soon as I get the cover, I will take it apart and look. I know that some gears are not making connection with each other. I am afraid that something broke. Especially since the kick starter is basically frozen. I should be getting the cover in a few days. I am going to start taking it apart this evening. I will post a reply with what I see later tonight.

Scott

Groundworx
03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
I got the cover off. Everything looks to be intact. I put the bike in the air and put it in gear. When I turned the rear wheels, I could see a gear down in the tranny turning, but none of the gears behind the clutch are turning. I am not sure if they are supposed to or not, but it looks to me like they would have to. I started taking the clutch basket off, but I don't have a wrench here to take off the big nut in the center. It looks like all of the gears are lined up correctly, just not turning.

Does that help any? I am going to get the right wrech tommorow so I can get the clutch basket off.

Groundworx
03-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, I did some checking today. I found that my case is cracked and something apparently broke and has went through my engine case an into the bottom end. I am guessing this is why the kicker was jammed. I believe that my bottom end is probably trashed now. Does anyone happen to have a motor for sale? :rolleyes:

I guess my rebuild on this bike will start a little early. I was planning on doing a rebuild at the end of this summer, but I suppose there is no better time than the present. Let me know if anyone has a motor they are willing to part with.