PDA

View Full Version : please help.

cyclepsycho
03-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi al,l I am in a bit of a dilema.

I had the good fortune to pick up a 1983 250R for a good price a while back. the only thing wrong was that none of the brakes worked and it smoked a little bit. I fixed the front brakes (rears still need to be sorted) and started riding. So far everything is cool.

I have a 15 month old daughter who absolutely loves it when I put her on the seat in front of me and putt-putt around the property. Last month she came down with neumonia. We had a devil of a time getting her well again. it was after a weekend that I was riding with her. Well we were in the garage again and she saw the 250R and went berserk, she held on to the frame rail and wouldn't let go, and she wouldn't stop crying until I took for a ride on it. She has neumonia again. I put 2 and 2 together and discussed it with the doctor, she believes the smoke from the 2-stroke oil is affecting my daughters respiratory system.

So here is my question: What are any 4stroke trikes out there? I know I could get a quad, but I am an old school kind of guy and really like the way the trikes look.

Any help would be must appreciated

Thank you all in advance
Rob

Howdy
03-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Wow, this is a new problem. I hope she gets better.

Now to answer your question: There are a lot of 4stokers out there. Here are some of the big 4 makers:

Honda's: 70, 90, 110, 125m, 185, 185s, 200, 200e, 200es, 200m, 200s, 200x, 350x

Yamaha: 200e/erl, 225dx/dr

Kawasaki: 165, 185, 200, 250

Suzuki: 125, 185

I hope that helps.
Howdy

200xpointplace
03-05-2004, 10:39 AM
If i were you i would get a 200x they are nice and they have suspention!
If you like power get the 350x they are faster than the 200x!good luck

JoeSuzuki
03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
To ride your daugghter around????/I suggest a 84 BigRed or newer with high, Low and Reverse. Plus they have electrick start storing compartment(for pampers!!!) and a big nice rack to hold on too. Also they dont seem to wheelie as much coz of the fowardness of the motor in the frame. (Compared with yams)

TimSr
03-05-2004, 12:27 PM
...and something with an autoclutch! I originally got my TRX250 for riding TimJr around when he was little. The autoclutch makes it easy to curl your left arm around them while you are driving with your right hand.

I was going to suggest you might want to consult another doctor too. While exhaust fumes may cause respiratory problem with some individuals, this is the first Ive herad of it causing pnuemonia, but Im certainly no doctor. I also be reluctant to jump to the conclusion that its limited to 2 stroke fumes. You might have the same problems with a 4 stroke. If it is 2 stroke specific, you might look at your choice of 2 stroke oil. Another thing Id look at is your exhaust system, in chekcing for leaks around the header and the front end. Make sure that 100% of your exhaust is actually running all the way out the back of the pipe.

Either way though, youll find it a lot easier to transport a little one in front of you with a low geared autoclutch 4 stroke model.

Meat-BoX
03-05-2004, 01:22 PM
I dont believe it one bit. I hope your kid gets better, but I think you should get her really checked out. Reason being, when I go to the Motocross races there are a Billion kids there of all ages and they dont all get sick. Second as long as she isnt around in the garage while the machine is running and if she's riding in the wind she shldnt inhale 2 much smoke. Was it Cold outside? As for something to ride on I would get a Honda 4 stroker. A more utility- fun based one not a racer. Good luck and I hope your child is fine.

Trikeaholic
03-05-2004, 01:57 PM
yes, that sounds suspicious. I have been riding my little guy around like that since he was 8 months old! now he rides his own 2 stroke tri zinger, and he is 4. Soon as the snow melts, im gonna have the daughter 8 months old out there too!

Wickedfinger
03-05-2004, 06:45 PM
..... she may though, have an ailment that makes her lungs more suceptable to the fumes than normal kids. My 38 year old , perfectly healthy neighbor died of pneumonia - please make sure your 15mo old is in good care ..... Wish you the best.

trikerider2oo7
03-05-2004, 06:49 PM
not tryin to offend anyone but since she's a girl, i would get her a 300x not a 350x. i'm almost 15 and i got a 350x but it has thrown off a couple of grown men that have been ridin trikes since they were little.