PDA

View Full Version : still a few problems with the yt175 tri-moto

short4stuff
03-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Alright here it goes:

There are 4 bolts holding the reed valves/intake on, well the guy before me broke the two top ones off. They are still broken but i just jb welded all that stuff to gether and used the two bottom bolts to hold it on.

Now, if i start it in gear it will move a bit and if i give it gas it will drive abit or just stall. I can get it to drive sometimes if i am up and down on the throttle and rocking it back and forth. Now I think it is running way to lean, but I dont have a 13/16 socket to check the plug, i am buying that tomorrow. I am running with no airbox and no air fliter right now, do you think that would cause it too run lean?

Any help will be great. Dont say I am an idiot for jb welding the intake on.
:rolleyes:

Trikeaholic
03-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I am an idiot for jb welding the intake on.

OK, I wont say it, but someone else may..

short4stuff
03-03-2004, 07:29 PM
i know i know, it was just a quick fix though, do you have a good way to get the bolts out of the cylinder?? they are basically flush.

John mendolera
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Don't ride it ,drill out the old bolt's and get a tap and rethread or take it to a shop and have them.A lean motor won't last long!!And will cost at least $125 US to fix.Where rethread will cost $20

short4stuff
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
yeah, another reason I know its running lean is cause it runs alot better with the choke on.

The only thing is I am gonna have to take the cylinder off, is that a big deal ?? .. do I have to take the engine out of the frame? and one more how do I take the front sproket off, wont it turn the engine over? cause I think I am gonna have to take the engine out of the frame.

slippy4
03-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Yes, running it with no airbox on will cause it to run lean and run exactly like that. another thing could be compression, try to borrow one or buy one and test it. and to do top end work on it you dont have to take the motor out of the frame. to get the front sproket on you are supposed to have a sproket holder or a simple screwdriver or something along them lines will work to hold it still well you try to take it off. i would try to find someone with a different intake boot insted of trying to fix it, as it might be cheaper. you shouldnt have to take the cylinder off to fix it if you do try to go that way. however i am speaking as a trimoto 125 point of view but my understanding is that they are for the most part the same.

short4stuff
03-03-2004, 11:45 PM
alright thanks for the help, its not that the intake is cracked its just that the intake bolts are broken off into the cylinder and there are only the 2 bottom ones holding it on now. I am going to put the air box on and try that out, if It dont work then I am going to try some silicon and then see how she works.

Thanks, Chris

Dan Tenn
03-04-2004, 10:01 AM
alright thanks for the help, its not that the intake is cracked its just that the intake bolts are broken off into the cylinder and there are only the 2 bottom ones holding it on now. I am going to put the air box on and try that out, if It dont work then I am going to try some silicon and then see how she works.

Thanks, Chris

lol, Leave the air box and silicone alone, and fix the real problem. Its the damn JB job on the reed cage. fix it or put a hole in your piston. You'll have too fix it properly sooner or later. Its much cheaper to fix it sooner.

short4stuff
03-04-2004, 10:18 AM
alright but whats the best way to get ther bolts out of the cylinder?

short4stuff
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
look here is the problem now, i put it on blocks and put it in gear and it goes good shift all the way to 5th and it runs great.

Now take it off the blocks and try to drive it yea right .... soon as you hit the gas it will just stall/bog out, I checked the plug and it looks good.

ANyone?

slippy4
03-04-2004, 06:08 PM
how much compression does it have? can you rev it out and then pop it in gear and move? try adjusting you fuel air mixture, but first make sure you have everything else solved (airbox on and intake fixed) To fix the intake try to get some ez outs or something of that nature. if you cant get it, i know a shop here that you can just take the whole thing in there and they will do it that way you dont have to take your cylinder off.

short4stuff
03-04-2004, 06:20 PM
hmm ok for the bolts in the intake will i be able to do it with just a drill? and to use easy outs do you have to start to drill them out first?

ALSO:

I had it driving before, sometimes you can give it some gas and it will sometimes take off, most of the time just bog out. Yes I am pretty sure there is enough compression.

edog
03-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Wish i could help you out man.Sucks to be you.Wish the best of luck to you.If it aint broke then dont try to fix it.Then fix it all already.

Edog was here

enlightend1
03-04-2004, 09:40 PM
One way you can remove the bolts is to take a punch and sharpen it down to a point. Then with a small hammer put the punch on the broken bolt and tap it til it turns out. I know its tedious, but I have removed many a broken bolt this way.
Josh

short4stuff
03-04-2004, 10:23 PM
One way you can remove the bolts is to take a punch and sharpen it down to a point. Then with a small hammer put the punch on the broken bolt and tap it til it turns out. I know its tedious, but I have removed many a broken bolt this way.
Josh

ok well have you done this to your 175 intake bolts?

For easy outs do you have to start to drill into the bolt first and then use the easy out or?? ...

But I dont think the intake is my problem I think it is something else, when the trike is not moving it runs great.

bigred110
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I would say the intake not being on is not making it run. When my friend bought the 175 it didn't have air box on it and it idle fine until he trys to take off then it wouldn't want to run. Take your jet out and go down to your local Dealer and get a bigger jet for it.
And fix thoughs broken intake bolts

short4stuff
03-04-2004, 10:46 PM
ok well i put the airbox on and it still did the same thing.... but i dont have an air filter.

Dan Tenn
03-05-2004, 11:28 AM
It will run all day on blocks, it doesnt take any power to run it on blocks. When you sit on it, then their is a load on the engine. thats when it starts pulling air in from around the intake. Dont do any rejetting or other crap till you fix the main problem of broken intake screws. you first need to drill the screws a little way in order to use an easy out. My suggestion would be to use a left handed drill bit. no easy out required.

short4stuff
03-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Alright dan I took your advice, what a pain in the ass :?One was easy the other was not, the last guy had a problem with that one to.. he broke a easy out off inside of the bolt... I had to drill around it I know I made a mess, but then I put studs inside with jb weld (yea i know NOT again) Do you think it will hold? Also I drilled pretty deep and it felt like i went through something ?? ... is that just to the sleeve or did i mess something up?

edog
03-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Ow no!

short4stuff
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Ow no!
what ya saying that about?? jb weld should hold shouldn't it ???

short4stuff
03-06-2004, 02:12 PM
NOW I DONE IT ... $%#%

I broke a intake bolt of so that makes 3 of 4 snaped....

Anyone got a yamaha yt 175 cylinder with stock bore ??

Trikeaholic
03-06-2004, 04:44 PM
another part destroyed by the learning curve. Shame shame shame....I hope this is a lesson learned.
1. use the proper tools
2. Ask for help if you dont know something
3. be prepared to pay premium to replace the parts you ruin in your quest for a cheap fix.

short4stuff
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
no no no .... the jb weld did not help break it.

2 of the 4 were already broken, and then the one I broke is because it seems that it went in half way then started getting harder and harder to turn to i started to back it off .... SNAP ...

The cheap fix had nothing to do with it.

rob0781
03-07-2004, 03:09 AM
So what you gonna do now?

tmlman
08-23-2004, 01:47 AM
So what you gonna do now?

SHORT4STUFF...I had the identical problem man. Everything you described is EXACTLY what happened to my YT175!!! I overhauled the carb, cleaned out my airbox and filter, adjusted the pilot air screw and all that didn't change a thing. The problem turned out to be BAD GAS!!! I'm not guaranteeing thats your problem but I would drain the tank, run all the old gas out of the carb, and put new gas in. Just a suggestion...

tmlman
08-23-2004, 01:52 AM
Keep checkin eBay for cylinders, pistons, etc. There's quite a few YT175 stock parts on now with more coming regularly. Good luck...