PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200S should I buy it?

user43
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
it's $300, seller says front tire bald, needs a recoil (starts with rope), front brakes dead, back brakes need pads, etc. I haven't seen it yet but will likely look today. My guess is it's kind of grungy. Seller says its 'torquey' which I assume means it's pretty slow. My current and only trike is a Yama YT125 (no suspension) so sadly this would be an upgrade

QUESTIONS:

-What's the general impression of the 200S? I don't see it talked about much here on the boards (people seem to be talking more about the 200X, 250X, 350X. What's the difference between an 'X' and and 'S'??)

-What should I look out for on the 200S? Anything in particular that often goes wrong and is difficult to fix/cant find parts/etc??

THANKS

thefox
03-03-2004, 12:33 PM
The Honda 200s is good 4 stroke trike but not a sport trike like the x. The 200s does not have rear suspension, only front. The question is how much do you want to spend, parts are not to bad to find for it but replacing what you already said could cost almost $150. I have never ridden a yt125 so I'm not much help in compairing them. Oh yeah, the pic in my aviar is of a 200s.

user43
03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't mind putting a little money in it, I figure at this price range I'll have to do something to get a trike up to snuff. I've never had a suspension trike before, are the front shocks a pain to service?
The Tri Moto (YT125) was only $125 but needed 2 rear tires and some miscellaneous work I did myself. PS That one is a 125CC 2 stroke.
I only ride around in my yard (<10 acres) or my friend's place (30 acres) and honestly I have trouble finding enough straightaway to get up to top speed on the Tri Moto so I guess I'm no speed freak.

200S seller says it's got a trailer hitchball on it so it does seem like more of a 'utility' trike. I didn't realize it was a 4 stroke until today when I was researching it online. Also it's an overhead cam engine??
At $300, would you buy it ?

Thanks

Wickedfinger
03-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I loved my '84 ATC200S and owned it from 1991 - 2000. It was one of the most rewarding experiences in ownership I've ever had. I learned ALOT from wrenching on that trike. You can't pass it up for $300, unless he'll budge on $250 ;)

chuck
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I have a 200x, which i have not been able to ride yet, but i also have a 200s. i think the 200s is ore like a working type wheeler but it is fun to ride. i wheelie it down the road and back yard and jump it, not to high. but it is fun. i picked mine up for $500 and it needed nothing and is in great condition. i plan on using some plastic renew on it and really cleaning it up. i brought it home and it started on the first pull. i left it alone for a week and again it started on the first pull. i have been happy with it and i think i paid a bit les than it is really worth. it may not be worth to much more but for what it is, it is a deal.
sorry for rambling but i say if you think it is a good deal go for it. if yo dont like it you can always sell it.

thefox
03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
The front suspension is not hard to work on at all and not that much needs to be done, just change the fork oil when you get it and that is it. The 200s is a great trike for trail riding. It is light and small enough for it to be easy to ride. It was noe of the best trike I have onwed, actualy I ended up buying a second.

smokinp
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
My brother use to have a 200S and I loved it,it had a 12:1 wiseco piston in it and a cobra pipe and it was a peppy trike.I would buy it for $300.

JoeSuzuki
03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
300$!!!!!!go for it, cant go wrong at that price

arkantrike
03-03-2004, 08:48 PM
I have an 84 200s that is still on the original motor and going strong. Have used it during hunting season for about 10 years now and it is a tough, light weight little trike. Very easy to work on too. Goes anywhere I ask it to.

1985 200s
03-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I am not a speed freak so my 200s serves me well. It is an awesome woods trike. I have had that baby through some sh1t. I'm not much for hill climbs but it does good. I went down this steep hill about 1/2 mile long and when I got to the bottom the trail seemed to go out behind a school and I didn't want to get in trouble going on that property so I had to go back the way I came. :shock: I turned around and up I went. I had second thought's at first but I was commited because stopping on it with only back brakes would mean getting it sideways on the hill and putting on the brakes and jumping off on down hill side so I could pull'er around and get it pointed back down hill. So I just leaned forward and went for it. Right at the top about the last 50 feet it got real steep and I gunned it and up I went to the top. :-D I know it don't seem like much to alot of you guys , but I'm new at this and I gotta say for a first trike it is as fun as hell. Peace Rod

JoeSuzuki
03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Doesnt matter what trike you have, they are all crazy fun to ride.