PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED!!! Yet another reason NOT to jump a 250SX!!!

bbechtel16
03-02-2004, 10:46 PM
After some light/moderate jumping Saturday and Sunday, while washing the mud off the trike I discovered this:

http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/FrameL1.jpg
http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/FrameL2.jpg
http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/FrameL3.jpg
http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/FrameR.jpg

Trike is now for sale http://3wheelerworldforums.com/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif WITH AN EXTRA GOOD FRAME!!!

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=124047#124047

twgranger
03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
:shock: That can't be safe!

Ace Mon
03-02-2004, 10:53 PM
looks like a job for some ducttape .

smokinp
03-02-2004, 11:10 PM
that sucks

vartiak15
03-02-2004, 11:11 PM
that sucks man how big of a jump were u jumping?

250SX_rider
03-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Holy! How high did you jump?? Mmm...if you were jumping not too high, I suppose there was a problem with the frame, cuz normally, a strong piece of metal like that is not supposed to do that :shock:

jay
03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
thats an easy fix, a little welding and it will be better then new

vartiak15
03-02-2004, 11:21 PM
are you just selling because of the craked frame? what do you plan on buying?

TRI-Zbrian
03-02-2004, 11:24 PM
200X three wheeler break in the same exact spot lol i did it to my old 84 all i did was weld it up and it was good to go.

JMiller
03-02-2004, 11:34 PM
ouch!!!!!!!!!!

bbechtel16
03-02-2004, 11:38 PM
are you just selling because of the craked frame? what do you plan on buying?
It was just the last straw actually lol. I plan on buying a car (down payment) unless someone offers me an unpassable deal on a 350X (hint hint).

motoman1012002
03-02-2004, 11:47 PM
where do you live at

bbechtel16
03-03-2004, 12:00 AM
where do you live at

You're about the 10th person to ask lol. I got smart and added it to my <<<profile. Its about 20 miles North of Harrisburg.

Name Brand
03-03-2004, 03:18 AM
Wow. :shock:

mad_max
03-03-2004, 10:53 AM
:?: How big of a jump? Height? Distance?

bbechtel16
03-03-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't know. I discovered this while washing it after a weekend of riding with some mild jumping throughout. Best one for distance was probably 10 feet. Best height was probably 3 feet.

Name Brand: What is that motor in your avatar?

jay
03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
how much are you asking for the bike? if you already posted it or it is in the classifieds, i apoligize.

trikerider2oo7
03-03-2004, 01:22 PM
3 FEET?? ive had my 350X like 8 before and it aint never one anything to it.

bbechtel16
03-03-2004, 03:26 PM
how much are you asking for the bike? if you already posted it or it is in the classifieds, i apoligize.

Apoligy accepted. ;)

sportvette
03-03-2004, 04:55 PM
i would just get that welded. if you dont want to pay a welder try some bubble gum. lol. :-D

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your SX bud. Could have had a weak spot in the frame or some tough landings.

My SX has been jumped hundreds of times - as seen in my avator on my MX track in my backyard and I clear my 35 foot tabletop with the SX also.

It is NOT made for this type of abuse and I am 200lbs. However if you have a smooth landing area and can land on the downsloap I see no problems with it. I actually find the swingarm to be the weakest link in the whole trike.

Relax fellow SX riders and remember - it's not the jump that kills you, it's the landing.

I currently have no health insurance and mud a foot deep but I promise I will post pictures of the SX clearing the table top - after I check my frame that is!!!!

350XXX
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
i cant really see too good in your pic, but it looks like there is rust on the cracks. if so, that is an old break that opened up when you were jumping.

bbechtel16
03-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Could be; but if I remember correctly it was clean looking when I first saw it. Rust could be from rinsing off the trike after the crack occured.

Sup Dirtcrasher? Sorry to do it but its time to say goodbye to project 250SX.

mad_max
03-04-2004, 12:40 AM
I clear my 35 foot tabletop with the SX also...It is NOT made for this type of abuse

That settles it! I'm withdrawing my application to race my 250SX in the upcoming Supercross race in St. Louis :-D ;)

Name Brand
03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Name Brand: What is that motor in your avatar?[/quote]

It's a 4.0L TD V6 made by Detriot Diesel, it is the dream engine for my 4x4 rig. This Diesel is turbocharged. Having a diesel in my rig will exempt me from emissions testing and allow the rig to be street legal year round. Don't ask for a picture of the rig, it's only in the planning stages right now. Most likely it will be a choptop Bronco II with running a 35 -37 inch tall tire on straight axles.

Peak Torque - 375 Ft/lbs @2000 RPM
Rated Power - 235 HP @ 4000 RPM
Displacement - 4028 cc
Compression Ratio - 18.5 : 1
Dry Weight - 638 Lbs
L - 21 Inches
W - 25 Inches
H - 31 Inches

Just for comparison, a stock 5.0L V8 from a 1995 Explorer;
Torque - 275 Ft/Lbs
Rated Power - 215 Horsepower

bbechtel16
03-04-2004, 05:25 PM
That's sweet! What kind of enconomy does it offer? I think they should start selling compact pickups and midsized SUVs with motors like that.

Dirtcrasher
03-04-2004, 08:46 PM
I clear my 35 foot tabletop with the SX also...It is NOT made for this type of abuse

That settles it! I'm withdrawing my application to race my 250SX in the upcoming Supercross race in St. Louis :-D ;)

LOL!!

It frustrates me, the SX is so much fun and the power isn't too bad with a few mods but the suspension is junk.

What are your options??
A 250R that IMO is stupid fast. I cannot ride a 250R like I want to, they just seem too fast or I am still not use to it. I honestly believe a 125 or 200cc 2 stroke motor in that 250R chassis would be much more suited for my riding style and MX track. I like to nail it and stay on the throttle but the 250R launches me into the woods and the SX lands like a tank.

The 350X is a bit too heavy but the power is there for sure. Maybe I ought to give one some more test time......

I just wish Honda had an "inbetween" ATC with nice roll on power, good brakes and a suspension that takes up most of the big hits.

atcmatt
03-05-2004, 12:14 AM
I just wish Honda had an "inbetween" ATC with nice roll on power, good brakes and a suspension that takes up most of the big hits.

Maybe a pumped up 200x is the way to go :?

Matt

bbechtel16
03-05-2004, 01:01 AM
[quote="Dirtcrasher"] I clear my 35 foot tabletop with the SX also...It is NOT made for this type of abuseThe 350X is a bit too heavy but the power is there for sure. Maybe I ought to give one some more test time.......
Well its lighter than the SX isn't it?

I'll take the 250R as a B-Day present! :-D

eh_tee_see
03-05-2004, 02:57 AM
im 13, i used to have 7 SX'S now i sold 7 have 4 more ones i bought. i cant even bottom out the suspension on any of mine when i jump hahah, maybe you should go on jenny craig :D
my dad wont let me buy 250rs or 350xs or 200xs, says i might get hurt

Name Brand
03-05-2004, 04:07 AM
That's sweet! What kind of enconomy does it offer? I think they should start selling compact pickups and midsized SUVs with motors like that.

Fuel economy would depend on vehicle weight. It would probably be better than a small V8, just for the fact it has two less cylinders burning fuel. This is the engine that Ford had planned to use in the new F-150, but that deal fell through. (the contract and agreement side, not engineering) I'm not sure what smaller diesels Ford (or any company)may use in the near future. :(

The other diesel engine I have considered is the 3.9L Cummins 4BTA. It's a four cylinder with less torque and horsepower, it is turbocharged and aftercooled. It is nearly three feet tall though, and weighs about 150lbs more than the Detroit. I've heard the noise and vibration from this engine is really high. The redeeming thing about this engine is that it is used in all sorts of construction equipment, and box trucks (the vans that Wonder Bread rides in for instance), so there are plenty of people who can service this engine, and provide replacement parts.

The Detroit is the better engine IMHO, but hasn't been in enough production to have the same kind of support that the Cummins has. I need to research more on the Detroit, find out what transmissions I can mate to it mainly, where I can get one, and how much it is going to cost. $$$ :?

82atc110
03-07-2004, 01:04 AM
I have a frame for cheap if your interested, located near Danville PA

bbechtel16
03-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Trike is now for sale http://3wheelerworldforums.com/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif WITH AN EXTRA GOOD FRAME!!!
I already have a frame. Thanks for the offer though.

Dirtcrasher
03-07-2004, 07:34 PM
I already have a frame. Thanks for the offer though.

Can't say I blame ya. If you like to jump there is no sense in trying to ride an SX like it just cannot be rode. Sooner or later I will snap my frame or something else. My 85 swingarm got slowly bent until the axle didn't slide in straight - thats when the troubles began.

threewheelin-feelin
03-08-2004, 08:46 PM
dang i would never sell a bike because of a crack in the fram lol my 200s from has never broke from jumping it and i jump the hell out of it lol it has rust though 2 times welded and broke3 times my uncle welded it all up it it right now waiting for the foot brack i hit a stump to be welded back on and to spots on the fram behind the foot pegs lmao

bbechtel16
04-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Good news guys!!! :-D My one friend (Ronny) asked if him and my other friend (James) could ride my trike today if they transfered frames for me. And I was like sure w/e. And I kinda forgot about it till I got home from work yesterday and they had it pretty much together aside from the motor. They even fixed some stuff! I was quite impressed. They fixed my steering stem bearings (added some) so now the front end don't wobble and crap. They got 2 nice footpegs on it. They put on the "new" bars I got for it. And it actually ran that night too! Of course they are probably going to horribly break something riding today lol. Also Ronny says he wants to buy it but I dunno; he wants to give me paypents but he doesn't really have money and his payment track record isn't too good. I probably won't be able to let it go after I ride it a couple times lol. But my other friend (David, he sold the SX to me) who showed up later said I should sell it to him and then ride it w/e I want at his house. :twisted:

200xalltheway
04-02-2004, 05:17 PM
good work! :!:

250SX_rider
04-02-2004, 11:47 PM
That's awesome!!! These guys are really good friends 8)

Dirtcrasher
04-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Good news guys!!! :-D My one friend (Ronny) asked if him and my other friend (James) could ride my trike today if they transfered frames for me. And I was like sure w/e. And I kinda forgot about it till I got home from work yesterday and they had it pretty much together aside from the motor. They even fixed some stuff! I was quite impressed. They fixed my steering stem bearings (added some) so now the front end don't wobble and crap. They got 2 nice footpegs on it. They put on the "new" bars I got for it. And it actually ran that night too! Of course they are probably going to horribly break something riding today lol. Also Ronny says he wants to buy it but I dunno; he wants to give me paypents but he doesn't really have money and his payment track record isn't too good. I probably won't be able to let it go after I ride it a couple times lol. But my other friend (David, he sold the SX to me) who showed up later said I should sell it to him and then ride it w/e I want at his house. :twisted:

Good deal! The SX is a pain in the arse to transplant into another chassis.

How many bolts snapped off in the process - LOL???!!! Usually the front motor mount bolt is seized and the footpeg bolts break off.

Glad to hear it's going again, sometimes we all get sick of working on these things and a little help is welcome.

bbechtel16
04-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Well the motor mounts weren't a problem, since I've the motor out enough times. :x :rolleyes: I'm not sure if any other bolts were broken; I wasn't around for most of the project.

The good/bad news: I found a 350X that I'm pretty interested in, seems to be a good deal. But I found out the same day that I don't have the job I assumed I would have when I graduate, from the company I'm co-op/interning at. :( So I can't be throwing any money around, esp. since I just bought a car.

eh_tee_see
04-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Good deal! The SX is a pain in the arse to transplant into another chassis.

How many bolts snapped off in the process - LOL???!!! Usually the front motor mount bolt is seized and the footpeg bolts break off.

Glad to hear it's going again, sometimes we all get sick of working on these things and a little help is welcome.

lol thats so true, im parting out my sx and the front motor mounts are seized and 3 footpeg bolts snapped :D[/quote]

TeCaTe_MaN
04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
...all these hondas and there out of control motors and landing like tanks and stiff makes me sick...thats why i bought a tecate... :D