PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some wiring on a 84 200es

J.Blaze
04-04-2024, 09:40 PM
Need some wiring experts...

I have an 84 200es big red that the last guy fixed. He got it to run and drive but not with the original harness. It has the stator to a cdi box to a kill switch and thats it (starter aint wired, no wires for a battery etc). Just hit the killswitch, turn on fuel and pull the pull-start, It runs and drives fine, no problems with that.

The problem is i am trying to add a headlight in, now being decent at regular vehicle wiring i thought i could just tap into the power that goes to the cdi box and run me a light. Sadly no luck, if i even attempt to turn the light on the bike loses spark and dies.

I tried buying the regulator/rectifier for this year trike and it will regulate the voltage to ~14 but the engine still dies after the light comes on.
I also thought if i tapped in after the cdi box (the wire that goes to the kill switch) that its work, no.

So heres where i need some help, How can i wire a headlight in WITHOUT a battery?

If someone tells me the bottom line is i need a battery then i guess thats that and a pod light hooked to a DeWalt battery will suffice till i get everything for one (it doesnt have a battery tray).

ATC King
04-05-2024, 10:28 AM
If someone tells me the bottom line is i need a battery then i guess thats that and a pod light hooked to a DeWalt battery will suffice till i get everything for one (it doesnt have a battery tray).

The bottom line is, you need a battery. Strap on the DeWalt.

Without a battery, it's going to do things like pulsate the headlight and overwork the reg/rec, and in your case, I guess cause the engine to stall. You'll save yourself a lot of headache by purchasing a new harness. You're way out of your element on this one so eschew the DIY and focus on the BUY. It'll probably save you money overall and certainly time and headache. There's nothing wrong with that, and making the call early on in a project is what matters, before too much time is wasted and more money than should've been.

Everything cost something. Money they make more of, but time you'll never get back.

tricycle tommy
04-05-2024, 10:39 AM
It sounds like you are putting the light on the stator coil for the engine, it needs to go on the lighting coil. Battery or not the light should be isolated from the engine run coil.

J.Blaze
04-05-2024, 12:35 PM
The bottom line is, you need a battery. Strap on the DeWalt.

Without a battery, it's going to do things like pulsate the headlight and overwork the reg/rec, and in your case, I guess cause the engine to stall. You'll save yourself a lot of headache by purchasing a new harness. You're way out of your element on this one so eschew the DIY and focus on the BUY. It'll probably save you money overall and certainly time and headache. There's nothing wrong with that, and making the call early on in a project is what matters, before too much time is wasted and more money than should've been.

Everything cost something. Money they make more of, but time you'll never get back.

Gotcha yeah i guess the hondas that came with a battery didnt have a separate coil for lights as im seeing in all these wiring diagrams.

J.Blaze
04-05-2024, 12:37 PM
The problem im finding as im looking through all these wiring diagrams is that ig since mine was supposed to have a battery it doesnt have a separate coil for lights. I looked at some diagrams for other hondas that didnt have batteries and i see the lighting coil, but mine does not have that.

tricycle tommy
04-05-2024, 01:39 PM
Instead of a common ground lighting coil, you have one with a floated ground that normally goes to the regulator/rectifier. The manual says it's about 60W, which should be OK to power a headlight and taillight. You will need to locate the two wires coming out of the stator, they will be the two that aren't being used now. Polarity doesn't matter for regular bulbs, so you can use them either way, just don't ground anything to the frame (keep the ground floated for the light).