PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help identifying my vin

NS200e
04-03-2024, 05:32 PM
I have a ytm 200 that has electric start that works but won't seem to engage and a spot with an old reverse light and what looks to be a reverse button on my brake lever but there isn't any obvious spot a cable would run to for that to work so she certainly has a few mysteries to solve but I'm hoping the vin might help with that a bit.

As far as I can tell the vin(s) read 24w 008145

Thanks everyone

350for350
04-03-2024, 08:08 PM
From what I know, the Yamahas with reverse used a lever on the left hand side of the engines instead of a button on the brake lever. I don't think that the lever is original. It's also possible that someone put the wrong dash on your trike if yours doesn't have reverse. The ones with reverse are a one year only model-YTM200ER made in 1985. The ones with E start and no reverse are a YTM200E.
I would guess that your starter clutch is bad. It's located on the back side of the flywheel.
From what I could find, it looks like you have a 1983 YTM200E.

NS200e
04-04-2024, 10:08 AM
That's very cool! Thanks for the quick response. I'd imagine you're spot on with the dash being replaced as it doesn't even have a spot for the reverse lever to mount up and the throttle was swapped out with a Honda at some point in its life so I'd imagine the brake lever is the same. I'll see if I can dig into that starter clutch today, any chance it's adjustable? Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

350for350
04-04-2024, 08:22 PM
Nope. There's no adjustments. You have to replace it.