PDA

View Full Version : 83 YTM 200, Need Massive Help!!

krwoodyjr
02-29-2004, 09:03 PM
:D Hi guys, new here. I have a 1983 Yamaha 200 trimoto and I need some help on a couple of different fronts.
First, as far as I know this bike only came with recoil (pull) start. Is there a retrofit kit or anything to switch this to electric start? I know the bike runs but I am having problems with the Carb spitting gas out into the air box. Also does anyone else have a bike like this and if so have you encountered any "run of the mill" problems? Thanks for any info.

trimoto
03-01-2004, 10:40 AM
a fellow trimoto rider alright...I also have an 83 ytm200. Mine used to spit oit into the airbox, till I adjusted my carbs and changed the plugs. have you torn apart the carbs and checked it all out in there? floats etc...

thefox
03-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Welcome to 3wheelerworld. Take apart your carb. and clean it, it sounds like your float could be ajusted too high. As for electric start I ave not found a kit to add on so the best way would to take one from a Yamaha 200E. The electrical will all fit but the problem is where the starter motor hooks in. You would need to cut a hole in the case infront of the pull starter for the motor to bolt into and use the 200E flywheel and pull starter. Or use the 200E case but put in your trans. to change it over to chain drive but then you would need to make an oil seal for the output shaft. I don't think anyone else has tried to do it so keep good notes if you do. It probably would just be easier to sell it and get a 200E (which has bigger tires too). Good luck.

350x'inNY
03-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Send me your email, and I can send you the 'Parts Manual' for your bike. It will help you know if you are missing any pieces and help you order parts form the Yamaha dealer with their part numbers. Around a 600 to 800K file.

Thanks
Bruce

JoeSuzuki
03-01-2004, 06:02 PM
My Trimoto 200 is an 84, but theyre pretty much the same, great trikes with not too much to worrie about, just be carefull for overheat on those aircooled motors becoz it tends to melt the plastic slider in the recoil and without an electrik starter it can be kinda hard to jump start in the middle of the woods or in the sand.

krwoodyjr
03-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks you guys, I plan on doing a complete tear down on the carb, like theres that much to it, haha. Your probably right everyone I talk to thinks the same thing about the float being either stuck or adjusted too high. To give you a little background, I received the three wheeler for free. It was in my boss's boat shed. All three tires were flat, but I found out later still held air. after about 3 hours of serious fluid changes and carb rebuilds and tweeking I had it running. Being the overgrown kid that I am, I immediately rode it and found out the hard way that there were no brakes to speak of. Since then I have changed the front brakes had the rims professionally blasted and painted flat black. I plan on sanding the fenders down and having a buddy of mine paint the fenders camo. As this will be a hunting trike. Most eveything works, the brakes with new shoes work perfect the lights, front and back work perfect. And the gears shift with no probs.
PS, I do have another question, in the specs on the website it says this bike has 5 speeds & reverse. I have used the 5 speeds, but have yet to get any sort of reverse. Also, does anyone know if there is a special tool for removing the oil plug, it couldn't be in anymore of an awkward place.

thefox
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
The model with reverse is a YTM200ERN it also has shaft drive and electric start, yours is just a plain YTM200, well it is really a YTM200k but the k just shows that it is an '83. Go to the 3wheelerworld home page and click in the specifications link on the right, you should find it in there. The oil plug is on the side/bottom of the engine, I just use a regular socket (19mm if I remember right) with an extention.

J.D.
03-02-2004, 12:56 AM
I think I used the wrench to get mine, and the 19MM sounds right. I have a 83 also, but mines the "Yamahauler". Comes with electric start, shaft drive, and a tow hitch. Let me tell you what, this thing is a work horse. I towed a 2,000 lb trailer with 800 or so pounds on it. It wasn't easy, but it did alright, I couldn't go past 3rd gear or it would bog. Another time I towed my El Camino, with 4 flat tires, in soft dirt 1/4 of a mile. I had to have my brother help get it rolling because all the tires wanted to do was peel out, but it made it. I really abused it, but back then I didn't know about mainteneance etc. One day I got on it, went to first, and tried to shift to second but it just spun, so I decided to do a rebuild, which was actually stupid. All I needed to do was take off the right side cover, and put the screw back in the clutch basket! All that happened was it came loose and wasn't letting the clutch engage. Oh well, live and learn! Enjoy your trike 8)

chronicspacebud
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
:D Hi guys, new here. I have a 1983 Yamaha 200 trimoto and I need some help on a couple of different fronts.
First, as far as I know this bike only came with recoil (pull) start. Is there a retrofit kit or anything to switch this to electric start? I know the bike runs but I am having problems with the Carb spitting gas out into the air box. Also does anyone else have a bike like this and if so have you encountered any "run of the mill" problems? Thanks for any info.

Hi, New member to this site but a small engines mechanic for past 10 years! your floats are stuck open inside your carb either remove the carb and take out the screws in the bottom of the carb bowl and re install it sometimes you can even get away with tapping the bottom of the bowl with a screwdriver and the floats will come back down

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
^ Hopefully he got it fixed within the 5 years since he posted this :D

Macs
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
At least someone used the search function.