PDA

View Full Version : 84 tecate 3 shock mounting question

Djj624
01-02-2024, 10:37 PM
Have an 84 with an extended swingarm. The gentleman before me mounted a Chinese pit bike shock on the frame where the rocker piece should go the piece im talking about is the one that usually has one end going to the dog bone ?stabilizer? and the other to the shock (not sure on the exact names of these pieces) and the the other end of the shock going to the where the bottom of the dog bone would go. Now I recently bought the parts that are needed to put everything the way it should be and
have pretty much figured out how and where they go from googling pics but the bottom shock tabs seem to look like they were welded to the 84 85 frames but the ones I have look like they bolt between the engine and swinger? Here is what I bought off eBay. Can anyone tell me how these Mount? Thanks.

MrConcdid
01-03-2024, 03:51 PM
Go to partzilla a look at the exploded view alos you can download the service manual from http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
That will help.
Mrcbuilds.

Red Rider
01-03-2024, 04:39 PM
...but the ones I have look like they bolt between the engine and swinger? Can anyone tell me how these Mount? Thanks.
The Uni-Trak rear suspension on the Tecate is a confusing mess of brackets for this Honda guy. I'm rebuilding a friend's '86 Tecate, and when it came time to reassemble the rear suspension, after being apart for 3+ years, I did exactly what MrCondid just suggested for you to try. It took a high dosage mix of looking at the exploded view parts fiche, and the service manual, to get it back together correctly. I'm not sure how it is on the '84 Tecate, but I'm reasonably certain it is very similar to the '86 I'm building in my garage. On the '86, the lower shock mounting brackets are triangular. One corner of the bracket bolt to the frame. Another corner bolts to the bottom end of the rear shock, and the last corner gets sandwiched in between, the rear swingarm, and the engine, and has the swingarm pivot bolt running through it.

Go to partzilla a look at the exploded view alos you can download the service manual from http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
That will help.
Mrcbuilds.

Good luck. Once you figure it out, it's pretty self explanatory.

oldskool83
01-04-2024, 06:21 AM
Send it over to HRE and have it build like it should of came from the factory, if not convert it over to a NON link shock (which would be good to use a 300ex or a blaster works performance shock and talk with an shock builder to dial it in)