PDA

View Full Version : Chinese EX400 carbs + High comp Piston - Stay away or fork out for the Real deal

FrenchPaddy
11-02-2023, 04:44 AM
Hey all -Looking for a bit of advice/guidance from those that have done this.

About to rebuild my old 86 350x with a sandblast and chassis Gusset kit so was thinking about doing some performance upgrades while I am at it.
The suspension has been leaking and I'm sure the caliper pistons and swing arm bearings etc are all full of water etc so she is long due a freshen-up

The Bike is easy to start, Choke on, and 2 or 3 kicks and away. power is good through the rev range and probably enough for me under most case scenarios - although I have a plan to move to a place with more land in the future.

The bore seems to be OK so it's kind of a shame to open it but I got an inkling to fit one of those 10.25:1 pistons or more while the motor is out. the OEM compression seems more catered for Poor quality fuel which is not the case anymore
And one might say it would be a shame not to do the valve guides while in there. which leads to the question of porting too...

On the local free ads, there has been an EX400 pumper carb sitting for ages at 50 euros and I reckon 30 or 40 would buy it, it's a genuine one, seems to be missing a plastic cover or two but appears complete and the seller says was operational.. This is France so old stuff like that does not tend to rush off the shelves like it would elsewhere. People just buying new Polaris stuff with all this new borrowed money

The question is would a brand-new EX400 pumper China Carb off Amazon be better than a used and probably abused OEM EX400 Honda carb. Have tried the search but there is little info on the subject- only what people have managed to interchange between the 2. Seems one also needs the ultra-rare EX400 intake boot as well to run the pumper carb or have I got that wrong?

I have also read that there is a plug-and-play CDI upgrade .. was it the XR400? confused now as a lot of threads about XR250 / XR650 cdi and swapping flywheels etc.. surely some extra advance would be no harm on high comp better fuel.

Presently it's on standard EU exhaust ( no spark arrestor) I have a slip-on Supertrapp that seems to have about 6 discs ( was supplied with the bike unfitted ) There is also a cheap EX400 stainless header on EBAY UK which seems can be made fit easily enough. But I have no idea if it was standard or upgraded on the EX400. or even if there is a change in inside diameter over the 350x system.

Performance camshaft.. Not sure that is something I 'need', The grunt off the bottom is lovely, and without a Cdi curve to follow/ bigger valves proper ports, you surely never going to get that V-tec, yo

Final thought. E85 ethanol is available at the pump pretty much everywhere here at about 0.80c a liter.
Been running an old Saab turbo wagon on it, Big 760cc injectors dosing it in, and still melts a piston every few months :lol:
With that 12.1 piston, the trike would easily handle E85 but would need to be jetted waaay more and once again the whole goal of E85 is to run wild ign curves as it's equivalent to 105 octane, Was just an idea but for all I use it she can stay on 98 gasoline. would be a nightmare to set up and then it can never handle STD gasoline again without major backpedaling

OH yea and my kickstart pedal is starting to show signs of stress fracture. these don't seem to be available anymore. before I go welding is there a better solution?

Any thoughts or recommendations on what I should do or not do based on the above? Those who say leave it well alone will also be listened to!

oldskool83
11-02-2023, 04:48 AM
not even reading this....buy a new OEM 400ex carb 2005-2014 from partzilla.com and drill out the welsh plug. They are $240 bucks. Stop even using the word chinese, unless its food or checkers or pittsburgh tools

FrenchPaddy
11-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Frankly, that's all a bit of an arrogant response after I took my time to write a 1st thread - And no one else is gonna bother to reply now that you made it all 'Murica First angry ' Gee thanks. :confused:

There was a lot more to it than trying to 'scrimp' a few dollars which seems to be all you picked up on.

For the record I paid 5K Euro for my 350x which was about $6.3k in the pre-Brandon times, I'm a simple man with a simple wage and kids.

Every little part ordered from USA gets 50 bucks postage and then 30% customs of cost & post total and a stat levy on the tariff classification and probably 10% for the big guy.... So a brand new carb is closing on 500$ delivered and the same for a piston.
with sandblasting and paint suspension rebuild it's coming to an 8/9k bike which I will never get for it - but when you love it you can't always worry about how much - Without going crazy.

I understood that is what the forum was for - To discuss what's worth doing and not worth doing.

shortline10
11-03-2023, 07:05 AM
Save yourself a big headache and don’t buy the Chinese 400ex carburetor , I’ve had experience with plenty of them and they are junk . Purchase the later model 2014 400x carburetor . Motorsports has them for a good price .
https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/16100-HN1-A43

As for the kickstarter you can buy a trx300fw which are very cheap , heat it a little for clearance and will work and is built tough .

Scootertrash
11-03-2023, 12:46 PM
Frankly, that's all a bit of an arrogant response after I took my time to write a 1st thread - And no one else is gonna bother to reply now that you made it all 'Murica First angry ' Gee thanks. :confused:

There was a lot more to it than trying to 'scrimp' a few dollars which seems to be all you picked up on.

For the record I paid 5K Euro for my 350x which was about $6.3k in the pre-Brandon times, I'm a simple man with a simple wage and kids.

Every little part ordered from USA gets 50 bucks postage and then 30% customs of cost & post total and a stat levy on the tariff classification and probably 10% for the big guy.... So a brand new carb is closing on 500$ delivered and the same for a piston.
with sandblasting and paint suspension rebuild it's coming to an 8/9k bike which I will never get for it - but when you love it you can't always worry about how much - Without going crazy.

I understood that is what the forum was for - To discuss what's worth doing and not worth doing.

First, let me welcome you to the board!!

Second, I am intrigued and amused at your knowledge of our political environment....10% for the big guy, pre-Brandon times :lol:

Traffic here may be a bit slow, but it's a great group with lots of good information.

oldskool83 means well, even tho he may come off as a bit arrogant or snarky. Don't let it bother you. He has some quality builds he's posted up here.

My dogs ancestors originated in your region.

Enjoy your stay!!