PDA

View Full Version : Replacement carburetor for honda atc 200x.

Atc 200x 1985
09-26-2023, 02:39 PM
Hello all, I need a replacement carburetor for my 1985 Honda ATC 200x. I am skeptical of the Chinese carburetors on amazon and eBay since are so many of them; I want one that is the OEM size, and if there is a carburetor brand/supplier that everyone on here recommends, I wouldn't care to buy that one as long as it is close to the OEM size or bigger. But if there is a place I can buy a Keihin brand carburetor that'll fit my ride, I don't care to pay Keihin price as long as it is a real Keihin.

shortline10
09-26-2023, 04:24 PM
Contact Four stroke tech .
Mickey has bolt on performance carburetors for that model .
https://4stroke.wixsite.com/mysite

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2023, 04:25 PM
Doesn't look like Keihin makes your original 26mm carb anymore.

That being the case, I would consider a new GENUINE Keihin PWK28mm.

Here is a link to PJ Motorsports where they give the carbs dimensions. This should help you determine if it will fit without too much fuss.
http://www.pjmotorsports.com/keihin-pwk-carburetors.html

I would suggest you check any carb you are looking at very carefully. The counterfeiters are getting better by the minute going so far as to apply correct Sudco stickers, "star-K" stamps on jets, and the Keihin name cast into main body being correct, even convincingly correct packaging right down to the little card that said made in Japan.

I recently got burned on a fake PWK. Was a low volume seller and I thought it was just a regular guy that bought the carb, never used it for whatever reason and decided to sell it. It was cheaper than usual, but not cheap enough to throw a chi-com red flag. In most ways it was very convincing copy. But the carb being a 34mm Quad Vent non-Airstyker was the first flag. Keihin makes no such animal. Second was the seller stated it to be a 38mm AS. Nope. All of that to say, know your genuine Keihin carb models and the sizes and configs they are offered in. That should weed out a good many of the fake chinesium. Beyond that, let the price be your guide. If it's cheaper than it should be, it's likely a fake.

Anyway, were I in your shoes, I would be looking closely at a genuine Keihin PWK28 for your 200x.

ATC King
09-26-2023, 04:30 PM
Yep, stay away from the Chinese carbs on Amazon and Ebay. All the positive reviews are either paid for or by people who don't know what a proper running engine is. Of the one's I've bought, either the jet sizes are way off and/or the carb bodies weren't properly machined.

Use brand name (from a reputable seller with their own website) or a rebuilt OEM.

223cycles is another option for a new or rebuilt carb.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2023, 05:59 PM
This one looks to be the real deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225330361017?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338678874&toolid=20006%26customid%3Ds%253AGS%253Bgc%253Ae970 c3894918166673c7a69a1a4bccad%253Bpt%253A1%253Bchoc %253A1&customid=s%3AGS%3Bgc%3Ae970c3894918166673c7a69a1a4 bccad%3Bpt%3A1%3Bchoc%3A2&msclkid=e970c3894918166673c7a69a1a4bccad

Note you can see the "Plas-tech" print on the hoses. That's also a tell tale of a chinesium carb, plain hoses.
Also, the serial number looks correct.

I would buy that carb

Atc 200x 1985
09-26-2023, 06:38 PM
190 for a carburetor is insane haha. But that's the price for quality product lol. Thanks for the help

Atc 200x 1985
09-26-2023, 06:41 PM
Also. since the PWK is not a stud mount carburetor, what boot/intake mount do I need to buy?

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2023, 06:57 PM
Crap. Didn't realize you had a stud/flange mount. Apologies for giving you a bad lead.

That being the case, the suggestion to check with Mickey Dunlap (4-Stroke Tech) suggested by Shortline10 above is something I would look into.

Atc 200x 1985
09-26-2023, 08:19 PM
Will do. I'm sure there's got to be something that'll let me use the PWK carb if Mickey Dunlap can't help me.

ATC King
09-26-2023, 09:20 PM
The route you're going, with a new carb, it's highly unlikely a full setup is going to be less then $100 and could very well be over $200 by the time it's all said and done.

That's just the way it is now, especially if you want someone else to do all the leg work.

If you want to save yourself some $$, look at Sudco's catalog. Page 484 will show you some options on carb manifolds, to get an idea of getting away from the stock carb configuration. There are more manifolds in the catalog, that's just to get an idea.

They also have a good page about spotting counterfeit carbs. https://www.sudco.com/genuine_vs_fake_carburetors.html

You'll likely run into fitment issues with the stock airbox tube. There were some vintage manifolds available that may have been a direct swap but you'll have to look into that. I've been down this road before and sometimes it takes a custom adapter on the inlet side of the carb to use the stock airbox. It can be a bit of a headache but pays back dividends when all sorted.

There isn't the bolt-on aftermarket performance options for the 200X like back in the day.

Absolutely don't use any Chinese rubber manifolds. The rubber they use is horrible and just about comes pre-rotted.

If you just want it to run like stock, have a stock carb professionally rebuilt. If you want more performance in every way, then go with something else. A properly matched and tuned performance carb will even make a stock engine more lively from bottom to top.

It's not uncommon for high performance carbs to be upwards of $700 on dirt bikes and modern ATVs. On a stock 200X, or even mildly built, I don't see it being even half of that but it's still going to cost.

Remember, Mickey is probably a pretty busy guy, so taking up his time cost him money. If he gives you good advice and has the parts, it'd be the proper thing to do and buy from him.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-26-2023, 09:30 PM
Yep ..$190 isn't that bad at all, albeit a small carb. The price of a big PWK AS, FCR, or Lectron will really get your attention.

Atc 200x 1985
09-26-2023, 09:36 PM
The price to pay for quality. Thanks for the info. I would hate to be duped and end up buying a counterfeit Keihin carb. Eventually, I plan on purchasing an exhaust and a cam for it later. I'm waiting on Mickey to respond to my email right now.

ATC King
09-27-2023, 09:32 AM
While you're waiting to hear back, I done just a little bit more research that may be helpful.

I haven't confirmed it, but it looks like an intake from a CRF230 fits the XR200, which should also fit the 200X. The bend or I.D. may not be correct depending on the carb. That would allow a much wider carb selection because it's a clamp type instead of flange.

Brand new, OEM Honda part that's still available.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/16210-KPS-900?ref=f12492833c2fbd156f28aa1ac427fe975b20a0a0

Atc 200x 1985
09-27-2023, 12:25 PM
He said his carburetor is the stud-type mount like the regular carb, and it’s 30mm. He didn't say what brand it was. The regular race 30mm carb is 75, but there's one with a clear bowl for “race heads.” it seems to be the same, so if I am correct, the extra 50 is for the clear bowl. I guess you need the clear bowl so you can tune it easier. So with his, I get a bigger carb than the Keihin for less, and it's pre-jetted for racing.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-27-2023, 03:13 PM
About the only advantage I can think of about a clear bowl is the ability to see the fuel level in the bowl.

I don't know what brand Mickey's carbs are. That price plus the fact Keihin isn't making those carbs any longer makes me think they might be Chinese, but if he is going through them and making them right I might give one a try. I'm sure he will back his product if you have issues as well, unlike buying one from amazon or wherever else.

Several years ago, my brother took a chance on a Chinese replacement carb for a 125m. It ran like crap when he first bolted it on. In his case the carb readily accepted genuine Keihin brass which he swapped in, (jets, emulsion tube) along with the original slide and needle and it ran quite good. Sometimes due to lack of options, the chi-com carbs can be helpful, especially if they will accept genuine brass. But I avoid them if at all possible. Unfortunately with some models, it's the only option.

Atc 200x 1985
09-27-2023, 03:50 PM
I am pretty sure it is a Chinese carb after looking at it some more. In one of the pictures I can see the other side of where the choke leaver comes through the carburetors body and its got that metal looking cover that Ive only ever seen on Chinese carbs. would a 30mm even work that good on a stock exhaust? I reckon ill give it a shot, if it works it works. if it don't, then I guess im out 75 bucks and I can just stick it on my brothers 200s that's in dire need of a spark advancer.

Atc 200x 1985
09-27-2023, 03:58 PM
I will post some pictures of it once it arrives. Fingers crossed it isn't a Chinese carb that hes up-charged and changed nothing about it.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-27-2023, 04:30 PM
Going from a 26mm to 30mm should work pretty good but I would probably not run the airbox lid.

As far as an upcharge, if Mickey is setting it up for your machine and replacing the brass with genuine components that is worth a little something. Genuine jets run $5 each or more, jet needles run $15 or more. Not sure how much for a genuine emulsion tube but that is a part I would definitely replace with genuine as well and probably runs $10-$20.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

knappyfeet
09-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Don't be so scared of an Ebay/Amazon Chinese carburetor.

For that $75 you spent you could by 2 carbs, a cheap Chinese jet/needle kit and probably still have enough for a #2 hamburger meal at Micky D's.

These cheapo carbs are "hit n miss"....but of the last 4 I purchased.....only one was bad. That's more hit than miss and better yet....Amazon's return policy is easy to get your money back.

2 things really are a fail with these units. 1 is the jets/needles (that's corrected with a cheapo various size jet kit) and the other is bad internal castings with the carburetor chasis itself (nothing you can correct). If you got good compression and great spark and you install one of these carbs and it dosent kick to life within a kick or 2... it's the carb chasis itself...send it back to Amazon. If it's just not running right it may be jetting/bad jets....which the jet kit will correct. You buy 2...one works just send the other back.

This is my second cheapo Chinese Amazon carb on my 75 CB125S and it runs like a dream.

Good luck

ATC King
09-29-2023, 09:09 AM
"Don't be so scared of an Ebay/Amazon Chinese carburetor."

I used to suggest that, then I realized I may be doing more harm than good.

For those who've been doing this trike thing for decades, they've got a handle on what to look for on a carb and how to get by on the cheap. They probably even have enough spare parts to build a whole trike or two, so grabbing something from the shelf to try is easy and no cost.

There's a lot of people who are just trying to get into the trike fad and don't have any prior knowledge. The kind of people who don't really have any mechanical experience. If they need a carb, I'm going to suggest stock and a professional rebuild. One potential headache averted; move on to the next.

They probably bought something that wasn't running and thought they got a deal and can use cheap knock-off parts to reach their goal. That ain't happening, because at some point they'll need OE parts and current prices are through the roof. It's not a po' boy hobby anymore (never was for racers).

Dreams of a cheap trike build without any experience or spare parts is just that. Someone like that buying a junk trike then trying to cut corners because they didn't have a realistic budget is most likely going to end up a disappointment and money wasted.

The easiest way to buy the most expensive trike is to start with junk.

Then there's the situation where they can't get something to run and because carbs are some kind of mythical device anymore, they presume every issue is the carb. That is where it starts to go downhill. Wire harness issues, ignition problems, even mechanical gremlins will start to get into more cost than they prepared for and they start to scour the internet for Chinese parts that have a known history of being inconsistent, which will just cause them more stress and thoughts of ditching the project.

Stopping myself before this turns into something more than I intend, the people who've got the knowledge, parts, and experience to work on trikes can make due. People who're trying to get into it without any of that are best served by only using OEM parts when available. Either have a realistic project budget and plan or buy a good machine from the start.

It's not a gripe or complaint, I just don't like to see people try to get into trikes and end up wasting time and money on a project that should have been fun and pretty straight forward with all the knowledge on this site.

Payments on a new quad or dirt bike would be more enjoyable than how some people's projects turn out, which they never get to ride or trust.

Atc 200x 1985
10-02-2023, 04:32 PM
Well it’s here. It looks to be real and it says Keihin on it. I have some pictures and I’ll put them here and let y’all look at them. But in the back of my mind it’s saying this things a fake lol. I can’t upload them on my phone so it’ll be a second before I get to my computer. But I noticed the jets are shiny, the idle jet or pilot jet has no numbers or markings on it but the main jet does and has the Keihin symbol.

ATC King
10-03-2023, 11:50 AM
I was going to comment on the plastic fuel bowl but forgot.

I've been using one and haven't had any problems.

As long as it holds up for a while, it's nothing but positives that I've seen.

It's easy to see the fuel level, trash or water in the fuel. It can't corrode like aluminum. It doesn't transfer heat like aluminum.

Just have to remember to not over tighten the screws, like many people do with the aluminum bowls.

Atc 200x 1985
10-03-2023, 12:48 PM
Well never mind on the pictures. its not letting me upload them for some reason. I put the carb on and it runs, its just lean. he gave me some other main jets a 110 108 and 104, I have the 110 in it right now. later im gonna switch out the pilot jet thats in it now for the original and see if that fixes my issue. EDIT: Ok the I guess the computer lied to me and it uploaded one of the pictures.

ATC King
10-04-2023, 11:16 AM
It's got an adjustable float, which is nice compared to the non adjustable stock one.

I've been running one of those floats in a stock carb for a couple years now and haven't had any issues with it.