PDA

View Full Version : Tri z timing mark

6spdls1z28
08-09-2023, 10:01 PM
My z doesn’t have the mark on the case and neither does my yz case. Can someone put a up close picture of theirs. The manual picture you can’t see it either. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230810/42cfa07a3565aab97e88af8f12edfba2.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230810/61c839b3e575ca5a0ad78d139c51f094.jpg
The one without the stator is the yz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6spdls1z28
08-17-2023, 02:20 PM
Anyone? Would help out.

6spdls1z28
08-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Seriously guys where is the mark on the case supposed to be?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230818/19224c3bbb452e19eb651c34a3e8c76b.jpg

El Camexican
08-19-2023, 07:55 PM
Sorry buddy, I’m nowhere near mine, but I recall having a similar issue. Any chance the mark is on the rotor and you line it up after installing it using the slotted holes? That’s sounds familiar to me.

Worst case, set it in the middle of the slots and see how it runs. I’m sure you’ll be within 2 to 4 degrees of optimal.

6spdls1z28
08-20-2023, 10:12 AM
Sorry buddy, I’m nowhere near mine, but I recall having a similar issue. Any chance the mark is on the rotor and you line it up after installing it using the slotted holes? That’s sounds familiar to me.

Worst case, set it in the middle of the slots and see how it runs. I’m sure you’ll be within 2 to 4 degrees of optimal.

You can’t line the flywheel marks on the stator plate. It’s so many degrees before top dead center. The manual I have for the yz wants you to make a new mark on the cases. But you need a degree wheel which i don’t have. I have a dial indicator to get tdc. I just wanted the stock line so I could advance the timing a hair. I don’t know why I’m so worried about it runs fine seems like wherever I put the stator plate.

El Camexican
08-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Starting to remember thus now. I think it’s like 4 degrees BTDC or something. It’s been a long time.

6spdls1z28
08-22-2023, 11:13 AM
Starting to remember thus now. I think it’s like 4 degrees BTDC or something. It’s been a long time.

Yeah it’s something like that. I wish the flywheel had holes through it to easily adjust the stator plate without removing it.

Red Rider
08-22-2023, 01:56 PM
If I'm understanding the Tri-Z manual correctly, the only timing marks are on the rotor & the timing plate. It doesn't show any scribed timing marks on the engine case.

I wish the flywheel had holes through it to easily adjust the stator plate without removing it.The manual shows holes in the rotor to access the timing adjustment screws. Maybe you have the wrong rotor installed?

6spdls1z28
08-22-2023, 02:17 PM
If I'm understanding the Tri-Z manual correctly, the only timing marks are on the rotor & the timing plate. It doesn't show any scribed timing marks on the engine case.

The manual shows holes in the rotor to access the timing adjustment screws. Maybe you have the wrong rotor installed?

Man my memory is crap literally had the cover off a few days ago and swore there wasn’t any holes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230822/95377500fcb64fb4daa5687215788fb3.jpg
But if you can see the screw it’s still a painus in the anus to get to them. The magnets get in the way.

Red Rider
08-22-2023, 04:07 PM
Man my memory is crap literally had the cover off a few days ago and swore there wasn’t any holes. But if you can see the screw it’s still a painus in the anus to get to them. The magnets get in the way.Yeah that's a tight fit.

6spdls1z28
08-23-2023, 07:39 PM

Ok so you were correct about lining up the marks on the rotor with the plate. But I’m still missing the mark on the case to be able to put it at stock.

6spdls1z28
08-24-2023, 01:09 PM
We’ll never mind again. By the tri z manual these do not line up at all. I have a dial indicator on it at tdc these lines do not match up at all. I could adjust the plate all the way and it still wouldn’t line up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230824/680e7c852b934d6a02d583596e3edf2a.jpg
You will have to zoom in on the picture to see the lines on the rotor and the plate. I have a yz top end on it I don’t see how it can be that far off.

Shep1970
08-24-2023, 01:14 PM
Just give up and give it too me :beer

shep

wait no, then i'd be stuck just like u are.

6spdls1z28
08-24-2023, 01:46 PM

shep

shep

Hey it still seems to run strong wherever I adjust it. I just know there’s more in it!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230824/5e7f1a185e1ea8b3cb0579484f35ac48.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230824/95e3b4ea44a00339ad2854c4aac76f9b.jpg
Here’s my junker

6spdls1z28
08-24-2023, 02:16 PM
I adjusted the plate all the way as close to the rotor lines as possible. Thing runs hard has a slight little break up on top end though. Don’t know if it’s jetting or what.

Shep1970
08-24-2023, 02:17 PM
Never ridden a tri-z, passed a couple on the trail in the late 80's and i remember being like "wow" as they flew by. Maybe someday though...... its on my to-do list-

good luck Prescott AZ man.

shep

6spdls1z28
08-24-2023, 02:23 PM
Never ridden a tri-z, passed a couple on the trail in the late 80's and i remember being like "wow" as they flew by. Maybe someday though...... its on my to-do list-

good luck Prescott AZ man.

shep

They’re definitely fun I’ve had an 86 tecate I’d like to find an 86 250r but the prices are insane here. I’m packing up and moving to Tennessee. Done with Arizona it’s been taken over by the Californians.

Shep1970
08-24-2023, 04:35 PM
Tennessee is good, they have a buc-ees. Great store/fuel and everything else. If u get to stop by one try some Tiger Butter fudge its gooood.
Ok enough with your post interruption. my apologies. Sucks to hear about Arizona.

shep

knappyfeet
08-24-2023, 05:08 PM
. I’m packing up and moving to Tennessee. Done with Arizona it’s been taken over by the Californians.

Good luck with that.

There's no where to run......we are everywhere. We are like the Borg.... resistance is futile. We will eventually assimilate every city.... everywhere we go.

Been to Memphis lately? Well on its way to a San Francisco next. Austin tambien.

It's a shame.

Good luck with your move....hope it all goes smoothly.

6spdls1z28
08-24-2023, 06:39 PM
Tennessee is good, they have a buc-ees. Great store/fuel and everything else. If u get to stop by one try some Tiger Butter fudge its gooood.
Ok enough with your post interruption. my apologies. Sucks to hear about Arizona.

shep

We were there last month and we almost stopped there. No interruption at all. Yeah it’s not home anymore it’s sad.

6spdls1z28
08-25-2023, 09:50 AM

The manual shows holes in the rotor to access the timing adjustment screws. Maybe you have the wrong rotor installed?

For some reason I completely missed the first part you wrote. It is supposed to have a mark on the casehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230825/1d8cea7a6b4ff0afdb3cc007c10f5d6c.jpg
#3 crankcase mark. Mine is completely gone my yz one is missing too.

6spdls1z28
08-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Good luck with that.

There's no where to run......we are everywhere. We are like the Borg.... resistance is futile. We will eventually assimilate every city.... everywhere we go.

Been to Memphis lately? Well on its way to a San Francisco next. Austin tambien.

It's a shame.

I guarantee phoenix is worse. We’re not moving anywhere near Memphis. We’re going to a small town.

Red Rider
08-25-2023, 02:52 PM
For some reason I completely missed the first part you wrote. It is supposed to have a mark on the caseOk, I see that they reference a timing mark, on the case, in the picture, but I don't see where they reference using that timing mark as part of the "setting the timing" procedure. All the manual talks about is aligning the timing marks on the rotor and stator plate.

But I do agree, that your case looks different, forward of the wire grommet, than the one in the manual.

6spdls1z28
08-25-2023, 03:11 PM
Ok, I see that they reference a timing mark, on the case, in the picture, but I don't see where they reference using that timing mark as part of the "setting the timing" procedure. All the manual talks about is aligning the timing marks on the rotor and stator plate.

But I do agree, that your case looks different, forward of the wire grommet, than the one in the manual.

It’s confusing for sure. This z has been odd since I bought it years ago. It doesn’t have any numbers on the case so it’s been replaced at some point. It doesn’t have the 6speed either. I’ve had no luck finding a 6 speed for it.

El Camexican
08-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Good luck with that.

It's a shame.

No offense buddy, but it certainly is starting to look like the main export of California is assholes. They are running away from the progressive policies they voted for, and then, as soon as they get into red country, they realize they don’t necessarily like everything about it, and think they should “improve it”. The irony is astounding. Maybe you’ll get lucky and all the assholes will be gone soon and you’ll have a chance to enjoy the place the way you should be able to one day.

El Camexican
08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
It’s confusing for sure. This z has been odd since I bought it years ago. It doesn’t have any numbers on the case so it’s been replaced at some point. It doesn’t have the 6speed either. I’ve had no luck finding a 6 speed for it.

No numbers on the cases at all? There should be some right next to the shifter shaft, as well as the serial number close to the Kickstarter. If that one has been removed, I can’t think of a legal reason for it.

As far as your top and break up is concerned, I would check your plug and if it looks a little on the Darkside go down a size and see if that helps. Another possibility is your reeds.

6spdls1z28
08-26-2023, 02:17 PM
No numbers on the cases at all? There should be some right next to the shifter shaft, as well as the serial number close to the Kickstarter. If that one has been removed, I can’t think of a legal reason for it.

As far as your top and break up is concerned, I would check your plug and if it looks a little on the Darkside go down a size and see if that helps. Another possibility is your reeds.

I’ll put a picture of it when I get home. I dropped the jet from a 165 to a 155 it was pretty black. Haven’t done a pull with it yet. Has new carbon fiber reeds in it. Didn’t feel much of a difference with them vs the stock yz ones. Wish they made v force reeds for this year yz.

6spdls1z28
08-27-2023, 12:12 PM

It has the 5x503 by the shifter but the right side has nothing.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230827/5828cb0d129eed2116fe3362c0a27a63.jpg

El Camexican
08-27-2023, 05:46 PM
Well, that’s a first for me. I wonder if those are replacement cases back in the day?

6spdls1z28
08-27-2023, 09:02 PM
Well, that’s a first for me. I wonder if those are replacement cases back in the day?

I’m sure they are. I’m betting someone on here has the matching number engine or pieces from my z.

Danold
09-05-2023, 11:37 AM
Here is a shot of the timing mark on my cases, seems pretty much centered on the the area it is stamped on.

6spdls1z28
09-05-2023, 11:40 AM
Here is a shot of the timing mark on my cases, seems pretty much centered on the the area it is stamped on.

Hell yeah thank you! That’s what I’ve been waiting for.

6spdls1z28
09-05-2023, 12:27 PM
I still don’t know how I can get max performance from this yz top end when the marks are so far off. The dome on the yz piston is taller so it puts the marks way apart at tdc