PDA

View Full Version : Strange pulse generator 180 degrees out of align and runs Mystery....

dpop
07-24-2023, 09:14 AM
OK, yes my machine runs well...

Here is the strange situation.
A used 200S that I bought for my daughter.
Tuning it up, I found that the mechanical advance / pulse generator is 180° from what it should be.
I flipped it the right way, aligned to the marks while at TDC and then flipped it back to the way it was.

I have not been able to dig in too deep but here are my questions:
Is it possible to wire the CDI spark generating box wrong such that the pulse generator should generate the pulse when at the bottom of the stroke - but fire when at the top? (Some kind of delay)
Is it possible that the CDI spark generating box is from some other machine and that the timing is for say a 2 cylinder, it gets it's fire signal from what would be the 1st cylinder alignment and this is wired to create spark from what would be the second cylinder to fire? (In theory that could explain why mine is rotated 180°)

Has any one seen or heard of this kind of work around?
Yes I can align to have decent'ish timing, but when I flip the mechanism back 180, it is a visual alignment when i flip it as I no longer have marks to align to and I want to have it the right way, but it certainly does not run if I have it the right way around. It has to be 180 for the trike to run at all.

Footy
07-24-2023, 10:11 AM
OK, yes my machine runs well...

Here is the strange situation.
A used 200S that I bought for my daughter.
Tuning it up, I found that the mechanical advance / pulse generator is 180° from what it should be.
I flipped it the right way, aligned to the marks while at TDC and then flipped it back to the way it was.

I have not been able to dig in too deep but here are my questions:
Is it possible to wire the CDI spark generating box wrong such that the pulse generator should generate the pulse when at the bottom of the stroke - but fire when at the top? (Some kind of delay)
Is it possible that the CDI spark generating box is from some other machine and that the timing is for say a 2 cylinder, it gets it's fire signal from what would be the 1st cylinder alignment and this is wired to create spark from what would be the second cylinder to fire? (In theory that could explain why mine is rotated 180°)

Has any one seen or heard of this kind of work around?
Yes I can align to have decent'ish timing, but when I flip the mechanism back 180, it is a visual alignment when i flip it as I no longer have marks to align to and I want to have it the right way, but it certainly does not run if I have it the right way around. It has to be 180 for the trike to run at all.

I personally have not seen this on a 4 cycle engine. I have seen this with 2 strokes. Specifically a yamaha 175.

Homeless Dave
07-24-2023, 12:37 PM
I’ve never seen it on a 4 stroke. I’ve have some old 2 stoke bikes that would fire 180 out, generally due to a sheared crank key. But rule #1, if it runs fine, leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk