PDA

View Full Version : 1986 ATC 250R Rear Axle

newby200x
08-25-2022, 04:24 PM
I decided to begin replacing my rear carrier bearings as it's been on the back burner for some time. After disassembling everything, I noticed the bearings seemed fairly tight compared to how much play was evident between the axle and carrier before disassembly. I slid one of the new bearings onto the axle and it was apparent one of the journals had excessive wear and significant play. Has anyone ever had success w/ welding these up and having them turned down within spec? If not, I'm on the hunt for a good used axle. Does anyone know for certain that the 86-87 TRX 250R axles are 100% compatible? I've seen some on ebay claiming they are, although the Honda part #'s are different.

christph
08-25-2022, 11:55 PM
Yes, the TRX 250R axle is compatible. Regarding welding up the axle, it might work. Then again it might weaken it and make it dangerous.

MrConcdid
08-26-2022, 09:12 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe the axles are temper/hardened and welding on it would change the strength of that area and make it weak and brittle.

newby200x
08-26-2022, 04:25 PM
Thinking I'll just buy a good used one and keep this as an emergency spare. Thanks guys

Footy
08-27-2022, 07:55 AM
This is probably a no go but worth a shot. What are the chances that you could find a bearing shop that could match the bearing but with a slightly smaller inner race diameter? I know some places that sell transmission bearings are pretty good at that sort of thing.