PDA

View Full Version : WTF, why aren't my lights working? Help me out here yo'

J.D.
02-27-2004, 09:37 PM
I am lost here. I checked my voltage BEFORE my light switch, at idle it bounces between 3 to 5 volts, rev it up it bounces between 5 and 8 volts. Turn the switch on for my lights, same thing. This should be enough to at least make my light come on dim, right? I get nothing. Even my little temp light won't come on when I first kick it over. This is on my Tri-Z btw.

mywifeknowseverything
02-27-2004, 10:07 PM
You should have 12V....If you have less than 12 Disconnect the light/dimmer switch leads, and use the tester to check the resistance of the switch..If it is faulty you need to replace your switch...Also check your Magneto (lighting coil) Yellow/Red-Black 0.58 10% Replace if you dont get those readings.... When checking your voltage above you need to be at 1500 RPMs and measure on the Yellow/Red lead.... Good luck!!!!

J.D.
02-28-2004, 12:56 AM
If you have less than 12 Disconnect the light/dimmer switch leads, and use the tester to check the resistance of the switch
Do you happen to know what the resistance should be?

mywifeknowseverything
02-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Here you go....

Darius1502
02-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Good luck...SS...I don't know anything about checking resistance. Sorry I cant' help.

J.D.
02-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Does that say it should have 0 resistance? Sorry I can't see it well. I'll let you guys know what I find tommorow.

mywifeknowseverything
02-28-2004, 10:43 AM
It doesnt give me a number....It just has symbols and the only one I know is the OHM's one... In the off pos. The symbol is an 8 laying on its side...and in Hi and Low pos. it has the OHM's symbol with a 0 in front of it...However, for the Magneto (Lighting Coil) test you should have 0.58 OHM's + or - 10%....Hope this helps you...Wish I knew more...

J.D.
02-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok I'm an idiot. I realized last night that I was checking my voltage with the freakin' ohm meter. I set it to 20V on DC, and it holds at 2 volts. At idle, it stays there. When I rev it up, about every 2 seconds you'll see it bounce up to 12, 13, or 14 volts, and then it drops back down to 2. It does it really quickly though, like it flashes for a 1/2 second then goes back down to 2. I made sure I was grounded good, and had the positive side in there good, they were perfect so I can rule out bad tester connection. So I'm thinking my lighting coil is shot, what would you guys say?

I also did the ohm check off the yellow/red wire and the black wire, I set the Ohm meter on 20K, and I got 0.03 ohms. So what do you guys think?

mywifeknowseverything
02-28-2004, 03:01 PM
I would think so....But I am an idiot when comes to electrical :shock: Got everything I told you out of the book....You should invest in one....

J.D.
02-28-2004, 03:22 PM
I would think so....But I am an idiot when comes to electrical :shock: Got everything I told you out of the book....You should invest in one....

LOL I'm an idiot too. I've got a Haynes but they aren't very specific on electricl it seems. Thanks for the help.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2004, 06:52 PM
did ya test the voltage regulator yet,that sound like what happened to mine!

J.D.
02-28-2004, 10:32 PM
did ya test the voltage regulator yet,that sound like what happened to mine!

Do you know how to check it? I'm still thinking the lighting coil is shot though, because I'm checking the power from the stator, it's not even going through the regulator yet.

84250r
02-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I've got two regulators i would sell if you need one. ;)

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2004, 11:07 PM
you might be correct about the stator,one side does the lighting,one side does the coil,to test the reg,run the engine at about 8,000 rpm,if the voltage is above 16.3 volts at the head or tail light the reg is bad,also unplug that blue wire,clean or lightly sand it,and try it again, i also have spare regulators and a stator if ya need one

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2004, 11:09 PM
also if the reg went bad it could have blown those bulbs you talked about,did you test to see if they still work?

J.D.
02-28-2004, 11:16 PM
also if the reg went bad it could have blown those bulbs you talked about,did you test to see if they still work?

I pulled the bulbs out, and the filaments look good. I would find it hard to believe that both headlight bulbs, my overheat light, and my taillight all went out at once though.

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2004, 11:21 PM
when my reg went out on a night ride the temp light,headlight low beams,and tail light DID go out at the SAME time!it is called a voltage spike ,or surge!!! :shock:

J.D.
02-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok....if the bulb is bad, the filaments will break, right? Otherwise how could you test the bulb?

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-28-2004, 11:38 PM
try a 9 volt battery,enough voltage to light,not enough to blow,yeah the filament should move around in the bulb if she blows!

nickel16
02-28-2004, 11:45 PM
an eight on its side means infinity to those not up to electrical, most ohm readers will show like a l or full bar meaning the current that the reader is putting through is not making it back, meaning either the switcth is open and no curent coming through, i think ill have to check with mint again

J.D.
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Hahahaha! Check this out, I replace my reed gasket this morning, fire it up, and I notice my overheat light flashes like it should when you start up. So I say WHAT THE F!!!! Turn my lights on, they come on!!! I'm thinking to myself what the hell is this. Now I know what you're thinking, bad ground, right? BUT....why would my voltage have been so sparratic when I checked it DIRECTLY FROM THE LIGHTING COIL? When I changed my woodruff key on the crank, I noticed the lighting coil had like some flattened wires, and one loose wire. Wonder if they will still work next time Istart it up? :shock: :shock: :? :? :?