PDA

View Full Version : 1985 YTM 225 DX. Not starting from push button.

Sheller8
07-05-2022, 01:43 PM
Greetings,

I am new to the 3 wheeler world but not new to 80s Yamahas. Just purchased a 1984 YTM 225 DX for $250 here in PA. Got home cleaned the carb and threw some fresh gas in it and boom it runs and idles. However the electric start does not work. I can jump the solenoid and get the starter to turn the engine over but its slow. Solenoid is good, the atc came without the key and key harness. The left handlebar switch was also broke and was disconnected. I robbed one off my 1987 big bear 350 however the plugs are different. Anyways I am just trying to sort out how to get this ATC to start with the electric starter. I am not super inclined in wiring and have looked over the wiring diagram for this machine. ANY help is Appreciated. THANKS

350for350
07-05-2022, 08:27 PM
El Ca, I think you meant to post in another thread.
Sheller, I'm not much help with the switch. You can do some testing on the rest of the starter system though. First, make sure that you battery is full charged. If it seems to be, you can use a set of jumper cables to see if the starter turns over faster. If it does, then it's probably a bad battery. If it doesn't, it may be a bad starter.

El Camexican
07-05-2022, 10:41 PM
El Ca, I think you meant to post in another thread.
Sheller, I'm not much help with the switch. You can do some testing on the rest of the starter system though. First, make sure that you battery is full charged. If it seems to be, you can use a set of jumper cables to see if the starter turns over faster. If it does, then it's probably a bad battery. If it doesn't, it may be a bad starter.

LOL, yep. Thanks!

psujeepguy
07-06-2022, 02:57 PM
I, too, bought a 225DX awhile back with no key switch. I bought an aftermarket key switch for a YFM Moto 4 as 22DX key switches are difficult to track down. The plug on these should be compatible, but you'll have to extend the wires some by cutting off the plug, and splicing in some extra wire. Aftermarket key switches are cheap - give it a shot. The starters on these Yamahas can be weak, too. Also, not sure if you are aware, but there are three positions on choke. The third, or "full choke" position, is all the way back - almost kind of "hyperextended". It took me a while to figure that out - helped out with starting when cold.