PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down Stubborn tires??

207wheelin
02-24-2022, 01:49 PM
So after a couple seasons riding our ATC's with half worn, weather cracked riginal front tires I decided to pick up a couple Front Max tires. One for the 185s and one for my recent 200s project.
Last night I went to break the 185s tire down and man was that thing ever tight on the bead! After throwing every trick I know at it (manual bead breaker, bumper jack, shop press, 2×8 and driving on it) I couldn't even get the bead to budge! Ended up cutting the tire off and then carefully cutting through the bead wires on at a time. Not much fun at all!

You guys got any tips or tricks to make this job easier?
I called around to shops in our area and nobody wants to mess with these tires. If it took em as long as it took me and I paid their hourly rate I'd have more money in labor than what the tires cost!

Once I got the tire on the 185 I went for a quick ride. Wow!
What a difference. No more front end slide on the hard packed frozen snow! I could even turn on the ice! Once the front tire on my 200s is changed I need to get a set for the rear. They should come off easier though...I hope!

Take care and be well
Corey

Jim mac
02-24-2022, 02:16 PM
I've taken a propane torch to the rim, basically move it around a few inches until the tire starts to smoke. it softens the rubber up where it make it easier to come off. jim

207wheelin
02-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Thanks Jim I'll try that on the next one. I figured bring it in by the woodstove wood loosen it some but if it did I didnt notice it! I'm going to get started on the next one after supper!
Take care
Corey

ATC King
02-24-2022, 04:40 PM
Even breaking those down with a commercial tire machine can be problematic.

When using a bead breaker on a stubborn tire like that, leaving just enough air pressure to firm up the sidewall can help. It sounds counterintuitive, but it works.

I've worked in multiple tire shops over the years and ATV tires can be some of the most stubborn to replace. Besides the weight, 18 wheeler tires are easier to change.

Good choice with the Front Max. They're top of the list for a trike steer tire.

207wheelin
02-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Thanks ATC! When I originally looked into tires a year or so back you recommended the Front Max. It works very well. And should make turning easier when in the greasy mud we have on our trails here.

And leaving some air in the tire makes sense to because as I was pushing on the bead the sidewall was collapsing allowing the beaker to slide down the sidewall. I'll try this on my next tire here in a couple days.

Appreciate the tips guys! I'll let ya know how the next tire replacement goes.
Take care
Corey

350for350
02-24-2022, 09:08 PM
For stubborn tires, I use both my Bead Buster and my slide hammer style of bead breaker. I use the Bead Buster to hold down the bead while I use the slide hammer one to really hammer hard on the tire bead.

207wheelin
02-28-2022, 07:01 PM
So today I attacked the front tire on my 200s and left 5lbs of air in it. The sidewall stayed firm enough to get the bead to move. Once I had a little movement from one bead I flipped the tire and got the other side started. I also sprayed soapy water on the bead as I went around with the bead breaker. Tite slipped right off and the whole job took roughly an hour! I have a couple extra hard bars and plan to make a slide type breaker next time I have the welder out. Thanks everyone for the tips!
Corey

ATC King
03-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked for you.