PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

joenovosel
02-04-2022, 09:09 PM
My son just had his 83 250r engine rebuilt. Entire rebuild, bottom end top end was bored and sleeved. Stock piston size. Here’s the problem. We have fuel, we have spark-a bit weak if you ask me. Kill switch has been bypassed or something. It doesn’t work. This damn bike won’t fire up. Has great compression. I haven’t checked the stator out yet. Not sure if the kill switch could be the issue since I’m still getting spark. I put a new plug in and nothing changed. Switched my coil onto it and nothing. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350for350
02-04-2022, 09:41 PM
How's the key on the crankshaft? If it's bad, you may be getting spark at the wrong time.

207wheelin
02-04-2022, 10:37 PM
I have a cheap spark tester that the gap on it is adjustable.
This let's you know exactly how much power your coil is producing. I still quick test with a spark plug but when I need to check for optimum spark I grab the little tester.
I got it at Napa for around 15 bucks. Works for small engines and automotive HEI systems.
Take care and good luck

dustrunner
02-05-2022, 08:34 AM
Does the plug get wet ?

joenovosel
02-05-2022, 12:39 PM
I’m going to have to check. My son said he doesn’t think it was wet. I may have been focused on the spark part and not fuel. I
I didn’t take apart anything on the bottom end. It has maybe 2 hours on a total rebuild.

Dirtcrasher
02-06-2022, 11:46 PM
If you put your thumb on the plug hole does kicking the motor over blow it off?? If it does, I'd then look for a wet plug.

You can put a small amount of MIXED fuel in the plug hole and it will fart or sputter if the spark is good enough.

2 strokes are easy, not too much to prevent them from at least farting. Is there possibly an air leak at the carb or reed body??

To bypass the majority of Honda kill switches normally they are always hot, just unplug the lighting on/off switch.

Most Honda's use a black wire with a white stripe, that's the wire that gets grounded when you slide to "OFF" or yank a tether switch or push the button.

And last, I've seen machinists do all kinds of crazy things, but if there's enough compression to blow your thumb off it will start with some fuel.

joenovosel
02-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Seems the compression is way low. 60-65 leak down test is good. Piston and rings may be fried. This really sucks since it has 3 hours since the top was rebuilt. The old was kinda black so I’m sure it wasn’t running too lean.