PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe question

85_ATC_200S
02-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Will running a straight pipe right off my header kill the motor eventually? Is it ok to do, i mean it's not gonna hurt anything will it?

GreenLightening
02-27-2004, 12:54 AM
A straight pipe like this one? I dont know if it will hurt the motor or not. I doubt it.

Its hard to kill an old honda. this one is proof.

85_ATC_200S
02-27-2004, 12:57 AM
is that comin right off then header?

GreenLightening
02-27-2004, 12:59 AM
No. I just took off the factory silencer and added a piece of conduit . Then added the custom chrome plumbing pipe tip.

hondatrikesrule22
02-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Nope, won't hurt your motor, just your ears :D .Just don't put a straight pipe on a 2-stroke. I kinda like that pipe on your big red there. :-D

TeCaTe_MaN
02-27-2004, 03:06 AM
i ran my tecate around without the silencer one time...actually 3 times..it is soo friggin loud... ;)

nickel16
02-27-2004, 08:29 PM
shouldnt hurt it at all but if u open it up too much u will have to make sure it gets enough air, my brother had to take the cover of the air box on the 185 to make it run right with the pipe, he didnt jet it or nothing

Yamaha_Rules69
02-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Running your machine with just the headpipe will eventually crack the pipe, because of all the vibration. Having the muffler on there supports the whole pipe, because it mounts to the frame, and dosent vibrate at all really. I learned this on my 200x, when I ran it with just the headpipe for a few months, and then had to have it welded. It looks like crap now, and I wish I had never run it without the muffler. Other than that, it will do no damage to the engine itself.

Hey Tecate man, I know what your saying when you run a tecate without a pipe. Man, my ears were ringing like a bomb just went off. Im not planning to try that again. lol

ATC crazy
02-27-2004, 09:07 PM
If this question was asked 2 months ago...everyone would be saying that it would eventyally bend your exhaust valve. :rolleyes: I cant decide what is good or not anymore...

J.D.
02-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Welp, there is no "official" answer, everyone has an opinion. First off, let me say that whoever said that you shouldn't do it on a 2-stroke, is wrong. Infact, on a 2-stroke, you don't even need the silencer. The expansion chamber and the tapered piece on the end of it, take care of all the backpressure. All 2-stroke mufflers/silencers I've seen are all of straight-through design, and add no backpressure. On a 4-stroke however, the muffler has tuning properties. More backpressure adds more low-end on a 4-stroke, less backpressure = more top end. Is it safe to run a 4-stroke with just the head pipe? In my opinion, yes. But you will lose low-end power. Running with just a head-pipe makes it loud. If you run it with NO headpipe, you will warp your valves. The way this works is the valve cools down so much, because the head-pipe isn't there to help keep it warm and let it cool down slow, so it warps.

PowerTrike
02-27-2004, 10:39 PM
I care to disagree. Backpressure in the exhaust is needed with some 2 strokes isn't it? I've been running my 580cc 2 stroke rotax for a while with no pipe or silencer (insanely loud/just took it off to paint the exhaust!) and it seems to run like crap...and i know you need to rejet with a lower restrictive pipe.

Anyways my friend took the baffle out of his warrior (4 stroke) and it sounds pretty good, really throaty and not too loud. Didn't seem to loose much power either. How does your bigred sound greenlightning?

J.D.
02-28-2004, 01:04 AM
I care to disagree. Backpressure in the exhaust is needed with some 2 strokes isn't it? I've been running my 580cc 2 stroke rotax for a while with no pipe or silencer (insanely loud/just took it off to paint the exhaust!) and it seems to run like crap...and i know you need to rejet with a lower restrictive pipe.

Well no wonder! You took the pipe off. The pipe takes care of all the tuning, the silencers do nothing as far as tuning....on a 2-stroke.

GreenLightening
02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
How does your bigred sound greenlightning?

It was way too damn loud. :( I run it that way for a couple of summers. mostly swamping in the river. It ran pretty nice with no pipe, considering all the oil that thing burns. this last summer I finally put the stocker silencer back on. The novelty kinda wore off and I dont really think the guys I rode with really liked me riding too close cause it almost hurt your ears. It was LOUD.

3wheelrider
12-28-2015, 09:10 AM
85_ATC_200s what town/city of nebraska are u from?Im from norfolk,ne

LOL-not sure you'll get a responce- this thread is from '04 & his last activity here was in '06