PDA

View Full Version : Slip on muffler leaking

RadRacer203
12-08-2021, 10:23 PM
So the backstory is I got one of those factory replacement mufflers for my 200es from Dennis Kirk, and it's supposed to be slip on but has never sealed well at all to the original front pipe. I first tried using some aluminum foil to seal it, and that blew out almost immediately. Then I tried a sheet of lead, and that worked amazingly well, but only lasted for a couple months before it blew out too. I can't really find anything else that's meant for this, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. There's only a small gap, wrapping aluminum foil 2 or 3 times around fills it, but it's big enough that I can feel exhaust gasses coming out, and it lets air in and pops really loudly when I let off the gas (it's tuned fine, it didn't do that when I had it sealed up briefly)

El Camexican
12-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Brass shim stock might do it. Is it something you could cut some slots in and then clamp?

Jim mac
12-09-2021, 09:11 AM
they sell muffler gasket sealer, it's like rtv, comes in a tube made for exhaust. auto parts stores carry it. jim

RadRacer203
12-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Brass shim stock might do it. Is it something you could cut some slots in and then clamp?

That's what I was doing with the lead and aluminum, maybe brass would hold up better? I can't cut slots and clamp it cause it's such thick metal it wouldn't really clamp at all.

RadRacer203
12-10-2021, 02:19 PM
they sell muffler gasket sealer, it's like rtv, comes in a tube made for exhaust. auto parts stores carry it. jim

Cool, I'll check that out. Do you think it would be able to plug a 1/16" gap or even a bit bigger?

ATC King
12-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80335-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer/dp/B000BOAZM8

Typical auto parts stores usually have some on the shelf.

You could try the Ultra Copper if the above isn't available. It's not as heat resistant though.

RadRacer203
12-10-2021, 09:34 PM
Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80335-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer/dp/B000BOAZM8

Typical auto parts stores usually have some on the shelf.

You could try the Ultra Copper if the above isn't available. It's not as heat resistant though.

Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a shot and update on here

Scootertrash
12-11-2021, 08:59 AM
How about some thin metal tubing?

Small exhaust pipe adapter/reducer? Outside of head pipe diameter to outside of muffler pipe diameter?

That goop/paste stuff sux, gets hard and dries out.

What is the O.D of the head pipe and the O.D. of the muffler pipe? pics?

RadRacer203
12-11-2021, 09:40 PM
How about some thin metal tubing?

Small exhaust pipe adapter/reducer? Outside of head pipe diameter to outside of muffler pipe diameter?

That goop/paste stuff sux, gets hard and dries out.

What is the O.D of the head pipe and the O.D. of the muffler pipe? pics?

Really hard to get a good pic but I'll measure the diameters when I get a chance. It would have to be REALLY thin metal, only 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil wrapped around took up the space