PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try to get insurance for 3 wheelers

Trevor C.
02-26-2004, 06:55 PM
My insurance lady told me to get rid of my three wheelers. Said that if I injured some one with my three wheeler they could go after my house(which is paid for) and my earnings. Basically I have no protection from lawsuits if something stupid happens. I am all on my own. My problem. Seems these machines are totally excluded from insurance.

Makes ya think.

short4stuff
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM
umm I can get it, I live in canada, New Brunswick, I was quoted 105 CND, I think I will get it soon, being its illegal not to have it.

Never heard anything like that though.

TERBObob
02-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Where do you live at that they will not insure you ?

packhamstruck
02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
I can have my 350x insuraned, I am in ontario Canada, but since my company wont, when i go to the one who will its the only thing there in my name so it is almost 800 bucks, but my brand new quad is only 200, it is nice to have but for that much, it isn;t worth it

TERBObob
02-26-2004, 07:41 PM
( not sure why this came up twice but sorry about that )

CHAINSAW
02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Here in KS I was quoted 12 bucks a month per machine a year ago. I can give you definate facts here in the next month when I go and put it on 2 machines..

samster143
02-26-2004, 09:11 PM
When you purchase insurance please carefully read the policy or ask questions. All insurance is not the same. If it is cheaper...you probably are not getting as much coverage. All I am saying is just be sure of what you are getting. Theft/collision/LIABILITY.... The last one is really the important one . This is where you are protected if you hurt someone.

markdb420
02-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Here in Virginia it is $100 per year for full coverage on an auto policy. If you have more than one the cost per ATV goes down. They just add it as a "Off Road Unlicensed Vehicle". My 4 wheeler goes for $70 per year and has theft/collision/liability coverage. It isn't too bad!

foster
02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
If you WANT coverage because you WANT it, and if you NEED coverage because the law requires it, that is two different things.
Be careful, buddy.
I gotta get to work right now but willl post more on this later. I was in the same boat and might be able to help you out.
It will help us all if you tell us where you live.
Don't ride without insurance IF it is required where you live. It could cost you your house, your future, way more trouble than it is worth, all for a hundred bucks or less.
Depending on where you live.

bobr
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
I've got Progressive. $90 a year in NY.

CHAINSAW
02-26-2004, 11:09 PM
only reason Im getting it is for theft... Nothing is required in the states I ride,,. so its cool.

Trevor C.
02-27-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm in Minnesota. My Dad thought we were a no fault state. To the best of my knowledge I am not required to have Liability insurance. The only reason I even got into this conversation with my company was because I am thinking about purchasing some extra coverage(umbrella). My company is American Family. I have never had insurance for any off road vehicles but I am going to get it for my sleds($40 a year for liability) and wanted it for my 3 wheeler because lets face it we live in a sue happy world. My biggest fear on the wheeler is cruisin up and over a hill and getting in a head on or somthing like that. I do ride the machine very fast. I try to be careful but it is a very fast 86 ATC 250R. It's the 300cc +,piped,geared,etc. It would suck to get sued if something happened on it cause it seems like your guilty for just being on it in the first place cause it's an (outlaw bike). I also like to ditch bang with it and enjoy riding on gravel roads at extremely high rates of speed in non residential areas. In the winter it does see use on the frozen lakes. It also sees plenty of trail use and we spend a lot of time in gravel pits, sometimes there can be a lot of other inexperienced riders in these pits. I have never had any crashes with others but I suppose it could happen. I feel like a sitting duck and my insurance lady seems to think I am. My dad thinks I have nothing to worry about. This is why I wanted the Forums thoughts on this.

sportvette
02-27-2004, 08:32 AM
i have progressive insurance. no problems getting insurance just like any atv.

bobr: where in ny are you for 90?

erussell
02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
My 200es is $148 a year in Ontario. For the first year I did without insurance, but I need it to ride on some trails.

samster143
02-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Check the limits on your Liability portion. Usually it is about $25,000 for a standard policy. Think about the lawsuits you have heard about....how many were for $25,000 or less? If you get a judgement against you for $50,000, you will be responsible for the 2nd $25,000. Increase it to at least $100,000 so you are REALLY covered. $25,000 is like a chopper ride and a broken arm and leg.....NOTHING! What if you seriously hurt someone? Just things to think about.

jenndnn3
02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
I insure all of mine through statefarm. They range from $7-$12 a month. It is dependent on size. (cc) I have liability and theft.

Now my questions for those of you striking the fear of lawsuit..Are you allowing someone else to ride your atc, and is this why they will get massivelly hurt? Or Are you speaking when owner rams and/or lands on someone else via their atc? Theoretically speaking of course...

Dynofox
02-27-2004, 01:31 PM
We have all our atv's through progressive for $50 each. 83' 185s, 86 350X, 99 400ex and 03 blaster. They are all in my dads name who has a perfect driving record.

deathman53
02-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I have insurance on my 250r, cost me almost $300, first year was $380. to any nj residents, foremost insurance will do trikes, no others to my knowledge. the insurance on my trike costs more than my friends dad 2002 harley and he has full coverage, ridiculas.