PDA

View Full Version : HELP --- Brakes on '85 ATC 110

TERBObob
02-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok ... yep , I am new here and to 3 wheeling ( although I did have one when I was a LOT younger :-D )
I recently bought this 110 ATC and need to do a brake job ( at least thats what I think ... :( ) . When I went and took off the splash guard , and then the two large nuts that are right before the drum , the drum will still not budge .
Question - am I not seeing something else that is there stopping the drum from coming off , or is there a trick to doing this ?
( history - no brakes at all , brake throw moves fully , and there were some little chunks of what looked like white metal that came out from under that drum when I removed all that I did . Can't tell you anymore , cause I can't get the drum off .
ANYBODY ???? HELP ??!!

3forlife
02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Just did my 110 breaks and had the same problem. The drum was siliconed on and the silicone really had it stuck. I am assuming that mine never had a brake job in its life. You could always hit it with a little heat and then try. Once inside mine were a mess! I needed to have the drum turned in a lathe it was so bad. The spring was crap too.

TERBObob
02-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Yep ... already hit the propane torch to her and still no luck . Also went and took a monkey wrench and tried turning the section that sticks out a bit and even that didn't work . ( with a 2 foot cheater pipe on it too ! )
I also soaked the heck out of it with half a can of WD40 and nothing .
I tried loosening it , like it might have been threaded on , like those two nuts that are right there before it and nothing again .
This thing has REALLY got me bugged !
While I was doing all this , there seemed like brake shoe linings were coming out from the bottom of the drum where it meets the main section of the "shroud" ? area .
Seems the brakes must have shattered or something at one time ...
There also WAS ( I say was , 'cause when I hit it with the torch , there was an O-ring there that kinda melted ... )
But ... she STILL is not budging .

hondaATCman
02-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Try hitting it all around with a rubber mallet for a while and pry on it easy. You could always break out the sledgehammer ;)

TERBObob
02-27-2004, 10:03 AM
LOL ... yeah .. but then I would need to find me a drum also ... ;)
Does anybody know where I can find an exploded view of a picture of the brake system ? Maybe seeing one will help me understand why this is NOT coming off . And also might tell me where I can "hit" and or ????
My local Honda shop is totally worthless . Theres a woman there , that is RUDE as can be and also VERY unhelpful .

Thanks

ejc042
02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
I had the same thing happen to a friends. I used a hammer and tapped all the way around the drum while prying with a screwdriver. Finaally the rust all let go and it came off. Here is the pic you asked for.

TERBObob
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
SUPER ! ! ! Could you tell me on that part number 18 , does that just slide on or srew on like the nuts , number 14 ?

THANKS much ... that helps a BUNCH !

:-D

After looking at the pic a bit closer , that doesn't resemble mine ... I will take some actual photos of where I am having problems with . My drum is flared and using a screwdriver to pry it , is almost impossible .
I will post a couple of pics of it in a little while .

TERBObob
02-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Ok .... here are some pics of the actual brake area that I am referring to .
In the first pic , the pink arrow is where it is threaded and the two nuts came off ( #14 as in the exploded view above )
The yellow arrow is part of the hub itself ( sticks out about not quite 2 inches from the hub itself )
The green arrow show where the hub has a flange in it that kinda prevents a screwdriver being there to pry it off
And the blue arrow is there to show you where the splash guard bolts to ( brake pull is connected to the plate on the otherside )

The part that I can not get off is the big round hub off the shaft .
ANybody ????
The other pictures are there to show you different angles
The 3rd one down now has an arrow on it . I got a buddy of mine to come over and try to help and we both thought that maybe if we cut a little of the front area where you see the arrow ( 3rd picture ) , well , we did and there are threads there . So ... now we are gonna try and unscrew it .
The banging did nothing except dent the heck out of the drum .

http://home.mchsi.com/~terboinc/brake6.jpg

http://home.mchsi.com/~terboinc/brake5.jpg

http://home.mchsi.com/~terboinc/brake4.jpg

http://home.mchsi.com/~terboinc/brake3.jpg

http://home.mchsi.com/~terboinc/brake2.jpg

ejc042
02-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Using a hammer to rap on the face of the hub will help break loose the rust holding it in place. I don't know of any other way to get it to let loose. The one I did looked the same way. It just had a lot of crud that kept it from moving.

TERBObob
02-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Slight difference ... we went and tried something and found threads under that front piece of the hub that sticks out . ( view picture 3 above with the arrow .