PDA

View Full Version : 350x decompression lever ID.

Jim mac
06-20-2021, 12:09 PM
this is the decompression lever on the end of my new 350x. can anyone ID the arm?
to get it working, bolt on a eyelet so the cable attaches? are correct arms available and how far into the head do I need to get to change it? just throw a loop around the cable end? jim

shortline10
06-20-2021, 12:37 PM
Here is the original set up , not sure if my picture helps .

Jim mac
06-20-2021, 01:43 PM
thanks for the pic. I was curious what the lever might have come off of. jim

Jim mac
06-24-2021, 12:15 AM
just ordered a cable, and lever assembly for the trike. Hopefully with a working decompression cable, I'll be able to start the thing with my bad knee. jim

patriot1
06-29-2021, 09:20 AM
Jim: Update when you figure this out.

Shortline: You should show us that entire bike!

Jim mac
06-29-2021, 09:54 PM
hopefully in the next week or so I'll see about swapping the lever and installing the correct cable. There is no kicking it over easy with this trike. I went out to my other 350x with a working decompression system and I thought it was a pain to start, but find it's a breeze to start now.
The guy I got my 2nd trike from told me the head had to be replaced and while it was apart they installed a new piston, rings and timing chain. he just didn't remember any details on what was installed. Maybe a higher compression piston? that might explain why it's so hard to kick over? The seller didn't do any work himself, one reason he decided to sell it. He got tired of paying a shop to do all the work. jim

Jim mac
06-29-2021, 10:45 PM
I think the head on my trike or at least the decompression lever is a 86 trx350. I looked on bike bandit exploded view and the lever looks identical. jim

MrConcdid
06-30-2021, 01:29 PM
I feel ya Jim, I need to go through my 350x, it smokes on start up and is a pain to get started. The previous owner "was a mechanic" so that is always suspect. I am guessing he didn't replace the valve seals, I am not sure of the timing either, not sure yet.
I am interested in your findings, I hear that they should not be hard to start, but I have no reference.
Thanks for posting,
MrC.

Jim mac
07-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Success! the valve lifter definetly had the wrong end
got a lifter, bracket and cable off ebay and swapped it out. adjusted it so it had about 1/16 play at TDC and found both intake and exh valves are probably set way to loose ( but that's for another day) put it back together and I actually did the kick it past TDC with my flip flops on and kicked it to life! I actually got ticked off at the trike early in the week and threw it on craigslist for 3300 bucks. I either over priced it or people just aren't into trikes around here.
Came to my senses before anyone called and pulled the ad. now that it's easier to start, im pretty sure I'm going to keep her. the plate just came in the mail, offroad sticker is here too. I did find the plug wire socket is busted at the end so that's next. bougjt some jbweld for the stator cover. And the case saver is suppose to be here next week.. then check to see if im getting voltage to the lights since they don't come on. jim

Jim mac
07-03-2021, 09:41 AM
And as I get moving around this morning, I'm having to put my knee brace back on.......getting old sucks! jim

Dirtcrasher
07-16-2021, 10:33 PM
IDK if this is the one your selling or still working on.

Valves must be adjusted 1st, then the decomp cable.

The cable is super sensitive, sometimes a flat or 2 of those 10mm adj nuts is all it takes.

Yes, you have a 350D head on there being silver. They are not identical, not even the valve springs, but they're close and they work...

Jim mac
07-17-2021, 12:18 AM
I'm selling it, the decompression set up works great.
my knee, not so much, no cartridge in the joint so basically bone to bone. doc says a new knee is probably the best course of action. jim