PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle

chuck
02-25-2004, 12:40 PM
i want to switch me 200x and 200s to twist throttle. what bike do you get them off of? or does it matter?

samster143
02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I got mine from Motion-Pro. they have a web site. They can make custom cables for you. I have the "vortex" model which is the quick turn race type. I think with custom cable, throttle, and shipping it was like $65.00 from motion pro. You can probably get one from a junkyard I am sure. Test it by twisting it, how much it turns will give you some idea of how quickly it will pull the throttle cable. ie. 'quick-turn'. Some are slow and sloppy, others are quick and tight. I would just order from Motion-Pro. They have a cheaper ($20) model called 'turbo', it is chrome, I got that first and sent it back for the "VORTEX" which, in my opinion is worlds better. Good luck.

compaqkoci
02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
have you ever wrode a trike with a twist throttle? reason i ask is because most trike riders going from thumb to twist can't be done. i personally havenet tried to ride one but am curious i have alot of people tell me that going from thumb to twist sucks because its a trike or quad. but hell thats their opinion :rolleyes:

sportvette
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
my brother says he wont ride my kxt because it will have a twist throttle. i have read that the thumb throttle allows the rider to shift his/her weight better without worrying about accelerating. i buy that explaination. just be safe and have fun.

hondatrikesrule22
02-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Dennis Kirk has one...I have it for my zinger. Go through all the twist throttles,and it is $20. It is universal, and has enough cable. It is complete. New grips look great on it too. :-D

J La
02-25-2004, 08:36 PM
It is worth it to buy a kit for your specific machine. Even though the throttle housings will be the same for almost every machine, cables vary. getting the right cable is worth it. I've used twist throttles for years and I love them. It's just a matter of getting used to them.

tecatecrazy
02-25-2004, 09:16 PM
imo twisty's on trikes are dangerous. I wont have one on a trike again after being thrown over the handlebars. when you shift your weight side to side it is very difficult to keep the rpms where you want them. this is very bad particularly when you are handing off the left side (tends to raise rpms). I'm sure others will disagree, but I guess thats their right. :-D

mywifeknowseverything
02-25-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree with tecatecrazy...There was one on my Z when I got it. I was going through some whoops at the track and came down a little out of shape, my wrist bent the wrong way and the RPM's pegged...Needless to say the whoops section wasnt over with...Damn thing went up on its ass and jumped the next whoop by itself...Anyone have a grab bar????

tri-freak
02-25-2004, 11:17 PM
i have a tri-moto that i just switched from thumb to twist, and believe me, its hard to get used to. i still cant drift or tip up on 2 properly and ive had it on there for a month or 2. in the snow with the thumb, i could drift perfectly every time, and tip up on 2 wheels perfectly every time, and i wuz just able to hold it up for a second yesterday, and i still cant really drift well. its harder to lean over and get down enough to drift, i usually just roll now. but it is quite hard to get used to. be careful when u try to pull trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro u used to do with the thumb, it probly wont work as i found out. hope this helps, peace out, tony.

chuck
02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
i NEVER REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT the shifting weight problem. that all makes sence. i may try it and see how i like it and change back if i dont. thanks for all the replys.