PDA

View Full Version : Sticking back brakes

BigBuck308
03-13-2021, 10:53 AM
I have a 84 Honda 200m and having a problem with the rear drums. It sat for 18 yrs but was keep in a barn so it is running good. Every time I hit the back brakes they stick and I need to get off and hit the lever down to kick them off. I was told there is a aluminum part that could be corroded but I can’t seem to find where it is or to buy it. Anyone know if that could be the problem and where could I find it to buy?

350for350
03-13-2021, 09:17 PM
The first thing that I'd try is remove the brake cable and see if that's moving freely or if it's sticking. While you're doing this, make sure that the brake pedal pivots freely and not sticking. Then you can move on to the brake drum. There is an arm that the brake cables attach to at the inside of the brake drum (facing the chain, not inside the drum itself). That attaches to what is probably the piece that you were told about. Most of the time, unless your brakes are extremely bad, you can remove this, clean it up, lubricate it with a little bit of grease, and then put it back. Since your brakes will move, I'm guessing that this piece isn't seized where it passes through the backing plate and you will have good luck with the clean and lube trick.