MrConcdid
02-18-2021, 05:08 PM
one just posted in California FB market place today,
complete kit, used with battery box
sit down........
for $2,000.00

oldskool83
02-18-2021, 05:52 PM
take a 300ex motor, fly cut cylinder base .015" do up the head with nice porting and 5 angle valve job and good cam, 400ex carb and your are or more then 350x. plus e strart. no sense spending more money on obsolete parts. the mods I listed your at $500...so buy a 300ex rob it of its parts sell off everything else get the stuff for pennys.

Jim mac
02-18-2021, 06:42 PM
funny you mention your knee, my new to me 350x killed my knee last weekend, talked to a guy last night, he just sold his 350x last week because it killed his knee. jim

BOB MARLIN
02-18-2021, 07:07 PM
I have a complete GOKI that I could be talked out of.

The battery box and maybe even the original instructions too !.

badlarry
02-19-2021, 11:16 AM
take a 300ex motor, fly cut cylinder base .015" do up the head with nice porting and 5 angle valve job and good cam, 400ex carb and your are or more then 350x. plus e strart. no sense spending more money on obsolete parts. the mods I listed your at $500...so buy a 300ex rob it of its parts sell off everything else get the stuff for pennys.

Fly cut the 350x cylinder or the 300? I would assume the 350 cylinder to keep a 350¿
Is there a thread on this modification?

WIGGLES
02-19-2021, 12:34 PM
one just posted in California FB market place today,
complete kit, used with battery box
sit down........
for $2,000.00
Wow! holy smokes, ive been out of the loop for a while

MrConcdid
02-19-2021, 01:10 PM
I almost sold my 350x, I could not kick it more than a few times before my foot would start hurting.
Turns out, the decompression system was WAY out of adjustment, I was kicking a 10.5 350x at full compression.
Never working on this system I wasn't sure what was correct or not.
Once I started messing with the adjustment, it now takes a fraction of the effort, not e-start but not worth selling over.

MrC.

oldskool83
02-19-2021, 01:24 PM
Yiu cant mix 350x motir parts in 300ex. Fly cut the 300 cylinder. It just rises compression rsther than putting a heavy machined piston on a oem rod. More reliable when things are light than heavy. The porting and cam help.

BOB MARLIN
02-19-2021, 02:03 PM
My 250r kicks way harder than any of my 350x's. And all my x's have high compression pistons.
Make sure you are getting the piston just past the compression point before you kick it.
That makes all the difference in the world.

The decomp system is there just to achieve just that. It releases the compression so you can slowly get the piston in the right position before you give it a good kick.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
02-19-2021, 09:44 PM
Be sure your decompression cable is adjusted properly. My 350 was near impossible to start and kicked real hard when I first got it because the decomp cable was broke. Hurt my knee a few times. After I fixed it and adjusted it properly I could start it with slippers on.

thornton
02-20-2021, 10:19 AM
i dont ride mine very much anymore either. maybe 2-3 times in the last 5 years kills my knee and bottom of my foot i guess im just getting old to im 42 and used to ride all the time now i find my self using my ranger or my fl 350 oddesey its way easier but not as fun and i have a ton of trikes but they just sit anymore mainly conversation pieces now lol

ATC King
02-20-2021, 12:19 PM

Is the 300EX engine a direct bolt-in?

I was told I can have a complete 300EX yesterday. Running, but case damage from a thrown chain. It will likely need a total rebuild, because previous owners may have run it low on oil from not paying attention to the level with the case damage.

350for350
02-20-2021, 09:40 PM
I'm 49 and my right knee isn't the best anymore (to say the least). My 350X has never had the decomp hooked up or even had a cable. It has a stock compression piston. As long as the valves are properly adjusted, it's not terrible to kick over. I'll also add that I NEVER ride it without wearing MX boots. The last time I tried it in a pair of work boots, it kicked back and I honestly thought that it broke my ankle. Of course with the valves adjusted right, it seldom kicks back.

TSpencer
02-21-2021, 12:57 PM
The only time I ever had mine kick back was if I was giving it a bit of throttle. With my thumb of the throttle and the decomp working I never had a tough time. And I'm 50. Just make sure you're taking up any slack and getting a good kick from TDC .

350for350
02-21-2021, 08:36 PM
On mine, it starts faster with the engine hot if I give it just a touch of throttle when the kicker's about half way down. It usually starts on the first kick this way unless I stalled it. If I give it the touch of throttle too soon, it does like to kick back.

ATC King
02-21-2021, 10:43 PM
I've got 600cc single cylinder motorcycles that are kickstart only, and they aren't normally difficult to start.

Matter of fact, kicking the trailprotrailprotrailpro out of them makes them harder to start. It's all about technique.

A point in fact is this past week with the cold snap, someone couldn't pull start a 200S or kickstart a children's dirt bike. I got both started without much effort. I can only imagine the owner was wailing away at them with no progress.

The other thing that comes to mind is, if your knee is so bad you can't start it, it's time to sell. Other than parading around the yard on a trailer queen, actual riding isn't possible with a bad knee. At least not possible for very long, before major knee surgery, which will put a stop to any real shenanigans. Don't be a Pelosi; pass the torch.

Jim mac
02-21-2021, 11:12 PM
where I meet the kids to ride is really just flat dirt roads and trails. the 350x is just comfortable on a ride compared to my 185s. I would have been perfectly happy if I was offered a auto x or even a 200x with a blown motor so I could build a autox.
Now that I've got the 350x, I'm going to make it nice, use it for awhile and see if I can trade it off in tje future. I need another el camino or chevelle project or a tri 5 truck project. jim

ATC King
02-22-2021, 11:36 AM
I guess if someone is adamant about keeping one, they could try installing and using a hand operated decompression lever, near the clutch, like many of Honda's XR dirt bikes had.

I've either eliminated or purposefully misadjusted any of the auto decomp stuff on my bikes, and solely use the hand lever. It makes finding that sweet spot a little easier and if they flood when crashed, cleaning them out is quicker.

BarnBoy
02-22-2021, 11:53 AM
I'm just here to say if any of yall are getting too old to start your 350x hit me up when you want to sell. Lol.

WIGGLES
02-22-2021, 02:47 PM
i also just realized i may be to old to post pics

ATC King
02-22-2021, 06:16 PM
i also just realized i may be to old to post pics

Oh Boy!
https://media.tenor.com/images/14e66d87d6cb940e3d0ba9143fb36dbc/tenor.gif

:lol:

WIGGLES
02-22-2021, 06:46 PM
Oh Boy!
https://media.tenor.com/images/14e66d87d6cb940e3d0ba9143fb36dbc/tenor.gif

:lol:
thats what i say

ctk
02-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Wearing MX boots helps keep your foot from getting sore. Also protects you from kick back

WIGGLES
02-22-2021, 07:27 PM
thanks to all the replies they were helpful and funny, yes that means you nancy pelosi. i may look into trading it for a high end 250r because i can start that sitting down. will offer it here first before anywhere else. i can tell you its a high end 350x, all paperwork, original tires, parking brake works, that kinda stuff. 100% original

Jim mac
02-22-2021, 08:45 PM
crazy thing. guy working in the same area where I work had a 200x out a few months back. so I see him this afternoon, mention I picked up a 350x and he says text him. turns out he bought the 350x from the guy I bought the atc70 project, and we start to text pics. there 3 350x trikes and 7 frames, project 350x too.
Guy I got the 70 from, got it from my other atc go to guy and never did anything with it. small world. jim

ATC King
02-22-2021, 11:01 PM
If you can trade or sell it to someone here, you'll avoid the Ebay fees and C-list tire kickers. It'll probably stay within a group of people who know each other too.

In all seriousness, if you've got a bad knee, one major kickback from the 3fiddyX could ruin most of the year. You'd probably even have a hard time sitting on the home toilet, without installing a handrail. Learn to #2 standing up? Abstract wall art? Or, really make someone's job hell cleaning a public urinal.

XRyder
02-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Any chance I could clone your Goki starter? I got an X and kicking is almost no longer an option due to injured knees........... I am looking for 1 to clone and produce some for the guys on our forum, I would provide you a deposit till you get it back! thanks.

XRyder
02-23-2021, 07:34 AM
Any chance I could clone your Goki starter? I got an X and kicking is almost no longer an option due to injured knees........... I am looking for 1 to clone and produce some for the guys on our forum, I would provide you a deposit till you get it back! thanks.

BOB MARLIN
02-23-2021, 10:01 AM
I know no one wants to hear it again, but if you can't kick a 350x but you can kick a 250r, your not following the starting sequence for the 350x. I fought it for years until one of the members here showed me how to start a 350x.

I do have a Goki for sale now for that very reason. I no longer need it because I can now start the x with no problem once I learned how. The GOKI I have is very complete and in very good condition if anyone is interested- but it won't be cheap.

MrConcdid
02-23-2021, 01:24 PM
Bob Marlin, I have my sequence, mind sharing yours?

Also anyone running a 400ex carb on there 350x?

Thanks
MrC.

BOB MARLIN
02-23-2021, 04:22 PM
There is 3 things that make the 350x hard starting.

1) Not understanding there IS a right way to start them

2) Dirty carb

3) Misunderstanding of how the decomp system works on these particular engines

For the sequence- choke on if its a cold start. SLOWLY move the kicker trough 2 cycles. Move slowly into a third cycle taking notice of when it is on the compression stroke and builds compression, As soon as you feel it go just passed the compression stroke-just barely passed-let the kicker return back up- then give it a good kick. Should take no more than 2 or 3 kicks repeating the sequence every time. This way you are not kicking at full compression and it won't kick you back.

A dirty carb will cause way more starting problems then one that is just out of adjustment.

The decomp is not an automatic one , but rather than having a lever on the handlebars its connected through a cable to the kick starter shaft. It has NOTHING to do with making it kick easier . It is there only to make it easier to slowly get the piston to the right place BEFORE you kick it. It really isn't needed unless you have a GOKI, then it's a must. I've seen more problems caused by a "functioning" decomp then a broken one. If it is a working decomp that is out of adjustment it will hold the exhaust valve open and make it hard to start.

I have a friend that's running the ex carb. It's a tight fit. The performance increase is minimal if any over a GOOD 350x carb. But if you have an old worn out carb now it will seem like a big improvement.

Arky-X
02-23-2021, 05:03 PM

2) Dirty carb

For the sequence- choke on if its a cold start. SLOWLY move the kicker trough 2 cycles. Move slowly into a third cycle taking notice of when it is on the compression stroke and builds compression, As soon as you feel it go just passed the compression stroke-just barely passed-let the kicker return back up- then give it a good kick. Should take no more than 2 or 3 kicks repeating the sequence every time. This way you are not kicking at full compression and it won't kick you back.

A dirty carb will cause way more starting problems then one that is just out of adjustment.

The decomp is not an automatic one , but rather than having a lever on the handlebars its connected through a cable to the kick starter shaft. It has NOTHING to do with making it kick easier . It is there only to make it easier to slowly get the piston to the right place BEFORE you kick it. It really isn't needed unless you have a GOKI, then it's a must. I've seen more problems caused by a "functioning" decomp then a broken one. If it is a working decomp that is out of adjustment it will hold the exhaust valve open and make it hard to start.

I have a friend that's running the ex carb. It's a tight fit. The performance increase is minimal if any over a GOOD 350x carb. But if you have an old worn out carb now it will seem like a big improvement.

Haven't had the opportunity to kick mine off in years since I tore it apart but ^that sequence^ worked as smooth as buttah (butter.)
Didn't even realize that was what I was doing but after kicking it several hundred times, that sequence became automatic and you could 'feel' it in the kickstarter. Not sure how else to describe it (see Bob above) but they start easy if the carb is clean and you get that sequence down.
Cold starts weren't even a problem. Full choke and no throttle.

MrConcdid
02-23-2021, 09:17 PM

2) Dirty carb

And that is how you make a sticky. Thank you for taking the time to write it out in plain english. I have not been short stroking it as you suggested. Thank you.
MrC.

ATC King
02-24-2021, 12:18 AM
Ultimately, it's an anti-theft device.

Just don't park at the top of a hill.

WIGGLES
02-24-2021, 07:21 AM
thanks to bob im up and running

XRyder
02-24-2021, 10:15 AM
What is necessary to talk you outta your Goki? Thanks, Andy

BOB MARLIN
02-24-2021, 10:39 AM
What is necessary to talk you outta your Goki? Thanks, Andy

I just sent you a PM.

WIGGLES
02-24-2021, 07:27 PM
heres what all the fuss was about

WIGGLES
02-24-2021, 07:35 PM
no electric start here

jasong_10
02-24-2021, 10:15 PM
no electric start here

That's a set I love to have some day. I've got two of the three, just don't know if I could justify spending the $$ on the 350x because I'd just be grabbing it to complete the set, lol. The 200x is for riding alongside my daughter while still being able to have fun, and the 250r is for grown-up only riding, haha. The 350x is similar enough to the 250r in regards to the riding that I do that it would basically be a duplicate . . .

MrConcdid
02-28-2021, 09:39 PM
no electric start here

Man, I'd through that Grand National away if it didn't have electric start. :lol:
Very nice set

MrC.

Jim mac
03-01-2021, 08:13 AM
I did like you guys posted to start my 350x on Saturday and it worked like a charm. I was washing the machine and only had my flip flops in and still started with ease. jim

WIGGLES
03-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Man, I'd through that Grand National away if it didn't have electric start. :lol:
Very nice set

MrC.

yea im kinda stuck in the 80's