PDA

View Full Version : Plastic polish

derkperk
02-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Anyone have good luck removing scratches and haze from their fenders? Any product recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldigger
02-05-2021, 07:15 PM
If you want a really nice shine on your plastic, there's really no snake oil that will work. Wetsand starting at 320 and work your way through 400, 800, 1000, 1500 and finish with a wool buffer on a high-speed drill. It'll look like new again. Most guys won't do it because it takes a long, long, long, time.

ATC King
02-05-2021, 08:28 PM
If it's deep scratches or sun damage (is that your 'haze'), it's going to take what dieseldigger said. If they've never been sanded, some pretty rough fenders can actually turn out pretty good, but they will be thinner.

Very minor scratches, like it's almost perfect, but some rubbing from normal riding has left them scuffed, then there are some products that'll take care of that.

Most of them will work OK to good. At the very end of it, for protection and a final shine, I like Plexus. It will hide miniscule scratches, but nothing that requires sanding or aggressive polishing.

derkperk
02-05-2021, 11:07 PM
Thanks. There are some decent scratches and some dull scuffed spots. I’ll get to sanding!

BOB MARLIN
02-06-2021, 10:26 AM
If they are just kind of dull looking, the headlight restore kits they sell at the auto parts store work pretty good.

Be real careful with sanding. It takes real commitment and a lot of time. And I will caution you NOT to start with too course of sand paper. You will spend more time taking the scratches out that you just created. The only time I start with anything rougher than 800 is on the plastics that have sun damage and/or "crazing". Crazing is when the surface looks like reptile or alligator skin and if you don't get under it - it will just come back. If you have any areas that have a white line from being bent over or stressed try a heat source like a hair dryer or even a propane torch (be real careful with the torch) it will anneal the plastic and bring the color back.

ATC King
02-06-2021, 11:02 AM
If you have any areas that have a white line from being bent over or stressed try a heat source like a hair dryer or even a propane torch (be real careful with the torch) it will anneal the plastic and bring the color back.

That's what we done on the assembly line with plastic parts. The last station had a heat gun just to get any white spots out.

derkperk
02-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Started with a 600 wet and moved to 1000 on the rear fenders. It made a huge improvement. It has the surface with a white haze over it now. I’m going to get some 2000 and finish off with a polish. Still some good scratches but not looking for perfect.

I’ve used the heat gun trick on the old dirt bike fenders if they get a crease.