PDA

View Full Version : good engine paint options

Minter fab
01-28-2021, 02:01 PM
I'm rebuilding the 500 for my trike and I'm looking for high quality paint options for it. what have you guys used, good or bad

Red Rider
01-28-2021, 06:24 PM
For my 250R's liquid cooled engine, I like Dupli-Color high performance wheel coating. It's readily available, has good color options, is easy to use, and holds up nicely to heat & the occasional pre-mix spill. The heat resistance aspect may vary on an air-cooled engine though. It says it withstands intermittent temps up to 250F.

ponderinjunkman
01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Just sprayed the scrap 110 engine with the engine paint that advance auto sells. Says it's good to 500 degrees. The cases were thoroughly cleaned before assembly, and cleaned again with good flammable brake cleaner before spraying. We will see.

Minter fab
01-28-2021, 11:05 PM
I was hoping for some professional paint materials

El Camexican
01-28-2021, 11:29 PM
I was hoping for some professional paint materials

Duplicolor and VHT are “professional” quality paints in a can. The trick to getting “professional” results is to prep your surfaces properly and apply and treat the primer and paint correctly. It takes me less than an hour to paint an engine, but I probably spend 20 to 60 hours prepping them depending on what I’m starting with. That’s what makes the difference for a hobby painter.

There are engines out there with incredible paint jobs using heat baked enamels and powder coating, but if your planning on DIY that could get complicated unless you have the right equipment and some experience. Yeager Performance can do PC for you.

yaegerb
01-29-2021, 12:34 AM
I would recommend pc. If you are trying to do a spray job prep the area really well and I either use duplicolor or pj1 fast black and bake the part.

Minter fab
01-29-2021, 12:46 AM
I have painted multiple cars in my day. Prep is King I get that, but I'm sorry to say to Dupli-Color and vht you can buy in a rattle can at AutoZone are not professional products. I agree you can get good-looking results with a rattle can oh, but you are nowhere near going to get the quality of paint itself. I have thought about powder coating yes I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go but it would work. I also don't want to put a bunch of time to prepping it and it come off in a couple weeks because I used an inferior product

yaegerb
01-29-2021, 01:47 AM
Sooooooo, what are you wanting to do? Actually take the whole engine apart or spray it as it sits. If you want to spray it as it sits your options are limited as you should know being you’ve done multiple cars.

Red Rider
01-29-2021, 04:10 AM
Even though Dupli-Color is a spraycan product, it holds up really well. If powdercoated, or a quality paint & "professional" application process is used, we're still talking about painting an engine. Engine cases are subjected to rubbing & scuffing from your boots, which will have those areas looking a little worn, in short order, regardless of how good the paint or process was. For that reason, a spraycan's ability to easily touch up those areas, makes a whole lot of sense to me. PJ1 case paint is another good product as well, and I've used it in the past, but it's not as easy to find for me, but I think Dupli-Color has a better choice of colors.

El Camexican
01-29-2021, 08:05 AM

I also don't want to put a bunch of time to prepping it and it come off in a couple weeks because I used an inferior product

I have one particular well used engine that was painted on a milk crate over 10 years ago with Duplicolor. It’s worn where my boot rubs and has stone chips on the front and underside, but you’d never know it wasn’t the oem finish. Lots of gas spilt on it as well. As far as I can tell, the only difference between engine paint in a can, and the one Honda used back in the day is that it was heat baked, something you can come close to yourself with a heat gun if you’re careful.

Minter fab
01-29-2021, 10:31 AM

I have one particular well used engine that was painted on a milk crate over 10 years ago with Duplicolor. It’s worn where my boot rubs and has stone chips on the front and underside, but you’d never know it wasn’t the oem finish. Lots of gas spilt on it as well. As far as I can tell, the only difference between engine paint in a can, and the one Honda used back in the day is that it was heat baked, something you can come close to yourself with a heat gun if you’re careful.

that engine looks good

El Camexican
01-29-2021, 02:05 PM
that engine looks good

Modesty aside, ALL my engines look good :lol: Seriously, if you can paint a car, you can knock it out of the park with any name brand engine paint and a heat gun, but if you want a concourse job send it to Yeager for PC.

Red Rider
01-29-2021, 03:12 PM
Dupli-Color Silver on the bottom end & Dupli-Color Graphite on the cylinder. That Graphite color is very close to Honda's "dark shot silver" that was used on 1986-87 250R's.

BOB MARLIN
01-30-2021, 10:16 AM
Regular automotive paint with hardener has worked well for me.

wild200x
01-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Modesty aside,

"modesty aside" Ha hahahaha, I think I like this dude! I am following this thread as per my paint jobs haven't been the best. Also, almost enough time has past since I warned the wife. I may now be okay when the roller shows up. hahaha. Hey in this post, what is that KTM motor at top? Orange one?

BarnBoy
01-30-2021, 10:56 AM
Modesty aside, ALL my engines look good :lol: Seriously, if you can paint a car, you can knock it out of the park with any name brand engine paint and a heat gun, but if you want a concourse job send it to Yeager for PC.

Nico knows his stuff when it comes to painting. I used VHT on a recent engine and had a bad experience...paint flaking etc. I'm convinced it was user induced error, I have learned a bunch since then and he has given me lots of tips. If he says it'll work, he means he has done it half a dozen times before and they ALL look badass. I've seen pictures of engines he painted with duplicolour 10 yrs ago, and they still look amazing for any paint job....let alone rattlecan.

jasong_10
02-01-2021, 09:04 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, just have a quick paint question. I'm attempting to repaint my 87 200x fuel tank and have it primed and ready for paint. I picked up Duplicolor automotive paint and clear from work, and also grabbed Valspar tractor and implement paint, which is the best option for durability? Thanks.

ATC King
02-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Rattle can?

If so, DO NOT use the clear. Gasoline will destroy it in seconds. The paint itself holds up OK to fuel spills if not left on too long. If wanting to use clear, it has to be with a hardener.

The implement paints seem to hold up better, but it's certainly going to look the part. You can wet sand and wax after it's thoroughly cured, to help it look better.

jasong_10
02-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Rattle can?

If so, DO NOT use the clear. Gasoline will destroy it in seconds. The paint itself holds up OK to fuel spills if not left on too long. If wanting to use clear, it has to be with a hardener.

The implement paints seem to hold up better, but it's certainly going to look the part. You can wet sand and wax after it's thoroughly cured, to help it look better.

Yes, rattle can, sorry should have mentioned that . . .

Okay, thanks for the heads up on the clearcoat, I just assumed since it was automotive clearcoat that it would hold up to fuel decent.

BOB MARLIN
02-02-2021, 10:59 AM
If the paint doesn't use a hardener gas will eat it.

Shep1970
02-02-2021, 12:51 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, just have a quick paint question. I'm attempting to repaint my 87 200x fuel tank and have it primed and ready for paint. I picked up Duplicolor automotive paint and clear from work, and also grabbed Valspar tractor and implement paint, which is the best option for durability? Thanks.
jason if going rattle can on your tank this is a 2-part spray w/hardener. The clear will bond to just about any base coat- my sons 200x tank actually has a can of like rustolium black (cheapest i could find) then i cleared it a week later with this 2K clear and it still looks good 5yrs later- I sprayed base waited a week/ clear waited a couple days then a good coat of wax. I've had no issues with fuel- but i havent let fuel just sit there either.

shep

jasong_10
02-02-2021, 11:56 PM
If the paint doesn't use a hardener gas will eat it.

Gotcha, thank you.

jasong_10
02-02-2021, 11:58 PM
jason if going rattle can on your tank this is a 2-part spray w/hardener. The clear will bond to just about any base coat- my sons 200x tank actually has a can of like rustolium black (cheapest i could find) then i cleared it a week later with this 2K clear and it still looks good 5yrs later- I sprayed base waited a week/ clear waited a couple days then a good coat of wax. I've had no issues with fuel- but i havent let fuel just sit there either.

shep

Thanks for the info shep. Is that available at any brick and mortar stores, or just online?

Shep1970
02-03-2021, 12:05 AM
I've only seen it online-

shep

jasong_10
02-03-2021, 12:14 AM
I've only seen it online-

shep

Okay, thanks shep.

BarnBoy
02-03-2021, 01:25 AM
Jason, what you need is Eastwood 2K aerospray. It's a 2 part paint with hardener. I'd use it on my motor but it appears they do not make a high temp version. It'd be perfect for a fuel tank however.

BOB MARLIN
02-03-2021, 09:51 AM
I think this might be a good option. "Hight temp"

https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Aerospray-Ceramic-Engine-Paint/dp/B085VLJZR1/ref=asc_df_B085VLJZR1/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482464904163&psc=1

jasong_10
02-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Jason, what you need is Eastwood 2K aerospray. It's a 2 part paint with hardener. I'd use it on my motor but it appears they do not make a high temp version. It'd be perfect for a fuel tank however.

Thanks for the input but I chickened out, lol. I stopped the by the body shop in town out of curiousity and the owner said he'd seal it, paint it, and clear it for $75-$100. I came back to the house, grabbed the tank and the new front fender, went back to get a color match, and left the tank there, haha.

The body shop does great work, and has a done a bunch of motorcycle and atv/atc tanks, so that price seems like it's worth every penny.

El Camexican
02-03-2021, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the input but I chickened out, lol. I stopped the by the body shop in town out of curiousity and the owner said he'd seal it, paint it, and clear it for $75-$100. I came back to the house, grabbed the tank and the new front fender, went back to get a color match, and left the tank there, haha.

The body shop does great work, and has a done a bunch of motorcycle and atv/atc tanks, so that price seems like it's worth every penny.

You won’t regret that.

If you wanna get a little creative, ask him if he can put decals on before he shoots the clear and then ask how much more he’d charge for a couple more coats of clear. It’s expensive, but it’s nice to know you can buff, or even lightly sand scratches out for many years before you wear through your clear.

El Camexican
02-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Hey in this post, what is that KTM motor at top? Orange one?

My 2002 300 EXC back in 2009 or 10, but it’s Chevy Orange and it’s more reddish compared to the pre-2012 KTM orange.

Now I paint them Cast Iron Grey or Semi-gloss Black.

Red Rider
02-04-2021, 12:44 AM
My 2002 300 EXC back in 2009 or 10, but it’s Chevy Orange and it’s more reddish compared to the pre-2012 KTM orange.Very nice! It reminds me of the Elsinore engines, or even the 81-82 250Rs. Love those engine stands as well.

knappyfeet
02-04-2021, 01:57 AM
My 2002 300 EXC back in 2009 or 10, but it’s Chevy Orange and it’s more reddish compared to the pre-2012 KTM orange.

Nice!

Do you use a PPG low gloss clear?....if so how does it hold up?

El Camexican
02-04-2021, 08:13 AM
Nice!

Do you use a PPG low gloss clear?....if so how does it hold up?

All the paint in the three photos is Duplicolor in a can from Vatozone, no clear. The only clear you see is on the magnesium clutch cover on the black engine. It’s the same material they use on factory rims. I paid a pro to do it and after a year it started to discolor. Magnesium looks great polished, but it started to oxidize immediately.

El Camexican
02-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Very nice! It reminds me of the Elsinore engines, or even the 81-82 250Rs. Love those engine stands as well.

Those red Honda engines were wild looking! Yeagerb has done some in PC that look like they’d glow in the dark.

wild200x
02-04-2021, 08:52 AM

the reason I asked has nothing to do with paint. I have a chance at a water R roller. was once told KTM 380 would be a good choice to put in one. but I have never seen one close enough to look close and see if it may work. I just keep wondering. lol

BOB MARLIN
02-04-2021, 10:06 AM
One thing I 'll never do again is polish an engine.
It looks great-until it doesn't.

El Camexican
02-04-2021, 02:31 PM
the reason I asked has nothing to do with paint. I have a chance at a water R roller. was once told KTM 380 would be a good choice to put in one. but I have never seen one close enough to look close and see if it may work. I just keep wondering. lol

The 380's are pretty hard to come by compared to the 300's. The bottoms are shared from 1998 to 2003 amongst the 250/300/380 (last year for the 380 was 2002). The rods, crank, cylinder and heads are the only differences, but no one even makes an aftermarket rod. I'd advise you to go with a newer 300 engine if you plan to build a trike around one. Power is probably on par or more than the 380 was and a lot smoother. Just remember that the first generation of E-Start KTM two strokes used a starter that was an afterthought POS. The 300's build over the past 10 years are tiny compared to any older 250, so I'm guessing you could make one fit.

El Camexican
02-04-2021, 02:36 PM
One thing I 'll never do again is polish an engine.
It looks great-until it doesn't.

Couldn’t agree more. Anyone who wants to polish a second engine never polished the first one.

For the record, the gold “YAMAHA” is also Duplicolor, painted with the tip of a small screwdriver.

jasong_10
02-04-2021, 11:12 PM
You won’t regret that.

If you wanna get a little creative, ask him if he can put decals on before he shoots the clear and then ask how much more he’d charge for a couple more coats of clear. It’s expensive, but it’s nice to know you can buff, or even lightly sand scratches out for many years before you wear through your clear.

I don't have the new tank shrouds yet so I wouldn't have dared ask him to do the decals, but I should have asked about the extra clearcoat. He called today and it's done already . . .

El Camexican
02-04-2021, 11:18 PM
I don't have the new tank shrouds yet so I wouldn't have dared ask him to do the decals, but I should have asked about the extra clearcoat. He called today and it's done already . . .

No worries. On a smaller job like that it’s common to over mix your chemicals. You probably got some extra clear as any leftovers have to be thrown out. Put some pics up.

jasong_10
02-04-2021, 11:31 PM
No worries. On a smaller job like that it’s common to over mix your chemicals. You probably got some extra clear as any leftovers have to be thrown out. Put some pics up.

When I was talking to him about it I told him that durability was priority #1, so I can agree that I might get some extra clear. I might not get a chance to pick it up until next Wednesday but I'll post pics when I get it home.

jasong_10
02-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Picked up the tank today and I think it looks great, I really happy with it. It's not showroom, but the imperfections are due to my prep/prime, not his seal/paint/clear, and that's not what I was shooting for anyways.

ATC King
02-05-2021, 09:58 PM
A person certainly has to weigh the time and cost of things. Like what you had done, it's usually better and and less costs in the end to have a business do the work.

The biggest factor is some people don't have those types of businesses close by and shipping costs can consume any savings. It certainly helps to live somewhere that has actual industry and not just a bunch of administrative or service industry.

jasong_10
02-05-2021, 10:21 PM
A person certainly has to weigh the time and cost of things. Like what you had done, it's usually better and and less costs in the end to have a business do the work.

The biggest factor is some people don't have those types of businesses close by and shipping costs can consume any savings. It certainly helps to live somewhere that has actual industry and not just a bunch of administrative or service industry.

Yeah, I'm lucky in that regard, they do great work and I've had them do work for my cars in the past, so they take care of me.

El Camexican
02-06-2021, 09:01 AM
Picked up the tank today and I think it looks great, I really happy with it. It's not showroom, but the imperfections are due to my prep/prime, not his seal/paint/clear, and that's not what I was shooting for anyways.

266543 266544 266545

I can’t see the photo for some reason.

jasong_10
02-06-2021, 11:38 PM
I can’t see the photo for some reason.

When I uploaded them they showed as links rather than thumbnails for some reason. I'll take another crack at it.

El Camexican
02-07-2021, 12:59 AM
Awesome! Now let’s see it installed.

jasong_10
02-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Awesome! Now let’s see it installed.

I am itching to get at it but it's tough with work and family . . .

At least I've got a solid couple months before any suitable riding weather gets here, haha.

Red Rider
02-07-2021, 08:54 PM
I am itching to get at it but it's tough with work and family...Not a bad situation to be in, especially with a freshly painted tank. You don't want to get too itchy, and rush it, then regret it.