PDA

View Full Version : 83 honda 110 restomod revival.

Blmpkn
01-27-2021, 11:55 AM
Years back I got a 110atc in trade that was thoroughly clapped out. 12+ nails and screws in each tire (no joke), only had enough compression to ride it mabey twice, cracked plastics.. seat zip tied on.. it was a turd.

My (not so) favorite parts were the front axle being welded to the forks on one side, presumably because the p.o lost the nut on that side.. and both hubs being welded to the rear axle lol.

This is the story of its rebirth. Better, faster, stronger.. so on and so forth.

I half slapped a 125 manual clutch pitbike motor into it before life got in the way and it sat for a few years. This is it freshly uncovered from its slumber.

I've since stripped and repainted its forks gold, not extremely happy with the paint finish.. but its a rider.. so whatever. No pics apparently, sorry.

I've aquired new bars and bar pad, mild bar risers, grips, throttle, clutch lever, and a number plate to replace the headlight. Fresh set of dwt wheels to put on it, along with replacement axles.

Last night I made a little progress by hammering out the old steering race bearings, and the front hub bearings. Fresh ones will be installed tonight, along with replacement of the rear axle and its bearings. I need to get a new intake manifold before I can hard mount the motor, hopefully order that in the next few days.

I'll update with more pictures later today.

207wheelin
01-27-2021, 05:42 PM
Cool project Blmpkn. That manual shift engine should really liven the old trike up.
I have an 80 110 that I started to assemble for my daughter. I modified rear plastic from a 400ex and started some painting. Engine needs rings and probably could use a clutch. Hopefully in the next month or so I can start to assemble it. Best part about winter is having time for these forgotten projects.
Good luck on your project
Corey

Blmpkn
01-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Cool project Blmpkn. That manual shift engine should really liven the old trike up.
I have an 80 110 that I started to assemble for my daughter. I modified rear plastic from a 400ex and started some painting. Engine needs rings and probably could use a clutch. Hopefully in the next month or so I can start to assemble it. Best part about winter is having time for these forgotten projects.
Good luck on your project
Corey

Thank you! Sounds like someone's got a pretty sweet dad and is gonna have a bitchin little trike to rip on this summer.

---update on the trike---

Yesterday didn't go exactly as I'd hoped. It was more of a letdown than anything lol.

First, I had to go to harbor freight to grab an adjustable wrench that would open far enough to remove the "jam nuts" from the axle so it could slide out after I had cut the right side hub off.

Freshly sold out.

Whatever, went to lowes... and found that kobalt doesn't make one large enough. Sooo I begrudgingly bought a craftsman (all my other adjustables are kobalt, OCD was kicking in)

Finally got home, and came to realize that the hulk himself must of put those nuts on because I couldn't get the outer one to budge at all. I applied generous amounts of heat and penetrant spray and tried again... nothing. So out came the hammer.. still nothing. Uughhh.

The situation then escalated Into my rigging the trikes axle in to a bench vice so I could get a REAL good whack on the wrench with a hammer...

Smoked that wrench right quick. Note to self: don't hammer on adjustable wrenches -__- even in desperation.

I had suddenly come down with a horrible case of the f**k-its.. grabbed the grinder and a cutoff wheel and ended up cutting on the inside of the nuts. Two cutoff discs later.. it was all out. UNFORTUNATELY; the two nuts, along with the brake drum and the drum cover had become collateral damage in the hatred fueled whizz wheel action i laid upon it. Means to an end... just means to an end...

SO.. if anyone has a nice drum, drum cover, and two nuts they'd let go at a good price let me know!

I still need to get the carrier out, and replace the bearings. Thats likely a project for another day, but well see.

shortline10
01-28-2021, 06:09 PM
Next time use a punch and a 3 pound sledgehammer to loosen the axle nuts , I have removed hundreds of impossible to remove axle nuts this way .

Blmpkn
01-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Ahhh yes, dammit. I do have a variety of punches I could of used of course. Live and learn.

As I suspected I would, I ended up leaving the carrier where it was for tonight.

I did however get the new front hub and steering bearings installed, along with removing the seat from the fenders and tearing 1.25 seat covers off it. The pan is kinda crusty, but solid enough to skip replacing.

A few years back I bought a ryobi cordless staple gun to replace the seat cover on a dirtbike and it worked really well. It didn't have quite enough juice on the setting I had it on to punch through the trikes metal pan but after a quick adjustment (turned it up to 11, naturally) it sent a staple right though. Awesome. I'm glad itll be of good use again.. as I'm relatively sure I spent like 140 bucks on the stupid thing lol. Itll save me money eventually right?

Blmpkn
01-29-2021, 05:12 PM

So, this is as far as i can get my new fork nut on. The races are in flush with the neck/headtube.. far enough?

The nut seems to be a touch over 7/8" deep. Is this too deep? I don't have handy the one I took off it, and question my ability to find it.. does anyone know how deep the proper one is? I imagine the one I have is WRONG. The whole kit came from ebay. The only non-chinese writing on the bag the nut came out of reads cb125.. so.. for future reference.. a fork nut for a cb125 doesn't appear to work with a 110atc lol.

ATC King
01-30-2021, 05:53 PM
That is not the correct nut. Why not use the old one?

Blmpkn
01-30-2021, 10:19 PM
That is not the correct nut. Why not use the old one?

I'm not sure if ill be able to find the old one over at my old shop. I will take a look though for sure.

coolpool
01-31-2021, 11:26 AM
This thing sure is kicking you in the gnads! Sure it was ready to be waken up, lol. Little by little, part by part it will one day roar again. I like your perseverance. As shortline stated a punch or chisel on the edge of the nut may have helped. Oh well, the parts should be easy to find. I'll check my stash as I might have a few 83 110 rear end parts squirelled away.

Blmpkn
02-01-2021, 04:45 PM

Whelp, i found the old fork retaining nut.. and Its starting to look like what its supposed to look like again!

Unfortunately, while trying to re-cover the seat.. i found that my cordless staple gun doesn't QUITE have what it takes to punch through the seat pan... not consistently anyways.

I managed to get enough through to hold the cover on for now, but ill have to go back through with some short self tappers or something to get it really snugged on there good.

Progress feels nice. Perhaps tomorrow ill get the chance to fiddle around with the placement of the motor a little more and get that figured out.

Blmpkn
02-03-2021, 07:38 PM

So, I need to bring the tank over to see how itll fit with the carb where it is.. but I think that this is more or less where my motor is going to sit.