PDA

View Full Version : 250R Leaky Carb

psujeepguy
12-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Just wanted some advice to confirm if I am on the right track, or identify if I'm off base.

The carb on my 250R is leaking from the overflow when parked. It leaks even when the petcock is in the off position. So I'm thinking I have a problem with the gaskets in the petcock (ordered a new one) as well as a float needle problem - i figure it's not sealing properly when the floats rise. I recently removed the carb for a thorough cleaning. There was a some junk in the bottom of the bowl which I cleaned. I cleaned all the jets and inspected the float. The float was not stuck down or anything and there does not seem to be fuel inside the floats. Trike sat a while before I purchased it a few months back

Not sure where to go from here. I don't want to replace the carb, it's the original. Do I need a rebuild kit or can I adjust the float needle somehow?

I've got some experience with carbs, but I'm no expert. Want to make sure I treat my R right! Thanks in advance.

jasong_10
12-30-2020, 10:31 PM
I think you're on the right track. It sounds like you've definitely got an issue with the petcock so replacing it is a good first move. After that I would tear down the carb and clean it out again, and then splice in a small in-line fuel filter (clear would be best) between the petcock and carb.

When I went through mine I put a brand new Clarke tank on it and despite my best effort I didn't get all the plastic pieces (from production) out, and they would travel south and hold the float needle open. Until I figured out what was going on it was doing the same thing to me, think I tore my carb down ten times before I figured what was going on, lol. My bet is that you might have something in your tank that's doing the same thing to you.

So if everything in the carb looks good I would just throw in the fuel filter and see what happens, if it solves the issue then just check the filter every so often and run it until you stop finding stuff in it (took almost all summer for mine to clear up), if not then I would suggest a carb rebuild.

yaegerb
01-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Just wanted some advice to confirm if I am on the right track, or identify if I'm off base.

The carb on my 250R is leaking from the overflow when parked. It leaks even when the petcock is in the off position. So I'm thinking I have a problem with the gaskets in the petcock (ordered a new one) as well as a float needle problem - i figure it's not sealing properly when the floats rise. I recently removed the carb for a thorough cleaning. There was a some junk in the bottom of the bowl which I cleaned. I cleaned all the jets and inspected the float. The float was not stuck down or anything and there does not seem to be fuel inside the floats. Trike sat a while before I purchased it a few months back

Not sure where to go from here. I don't want to replace the carb, it's the original. Do I need a rebuild kit or can I adjust the float needle somehow?

I've got some experience with carbs, but I'm no expert. Want to make sure I treat my R right! Thanks in advance.

Need to rebuild the carb completely and thoroughly clean every orifice. From what I am reading this has nothing to do with your Petcock. Your Viton float needle isn’t doing it’s job. I assume it’s a PJ 34. You can buy the entire rebuild kit from jets r us. I also rebuild carbs if interested. It will look brand new when I am done.

psujeepguy
01-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Pulled the carb again and thoroughly cleaned everything. Float needle looked good but must need an adjustment.

N328
01-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Sounds like its the seat not the needle. Which is dirty or pittd. If pitted nothing you can do and needs to replace carb