PDA

View Full Version : next up. left over bits and pieces 200s frame build.

Jim mac
12-09-2020, 05:09 PM
going to start with a 84 200s frame someone cut off the rear carrier mounts. got a busted 185 frame for the donor brackets. busted frame is donating the rearend, harness, seat mount. will post pics as I throw it together. headed over to my atc parts guy for a muffler, spark advance, switch and knick knacks. jim

Jim mac
12-09-2020, 08:13 PM
made a list and went to get the parts, basically told me why weld parts to your cut frame. just take this carcass for 50 bucks and he tossed in another 185 mystery motorbthat turns over, the one in the frame is stuck.
there's running 250 big red for 500 bucks. might sell off the project 185 to make room for the Big red. jim

207wheelin
12-09-2020, 11:03 PM
I would love to have a place to go get ATC parts. They are getting harder to find around me. I hate going to ebay, the prices are crazy. I am always looking for parts bikes but have a hard time getting people to call or message me back.
Keep twisting the wrenches man.
Corey

Jim mac
12-09-2020, 11:13 PM
my spare motors are missing the spark advances and pick ups. see them on ebay for over 100 bucks, So paying 50 bucks for everything was a no brainer. I can finish my other beater 185 that just needs a seat done then its onto this next one.
the big reds really got me thinking....jim

350for350
12-10-2020, 09:00 PM
my spare motors are missing the spark advances and pick ups. see them on ebay for over 100 bucks, So paying 50 bucks for everything was a no brainer. I can finish my other beater 185 that just needs a seat done then its onto this next one.
the big reds really got me thinking....jim

I'd be thinking hard about the Big Red myself.

Jim mac
12-10-2020, 09:55 PM
I called the owner last night, said he doesn't have a key but will start with the pull start, so I'm thinking it's a 200 big red. wife nixed the idea, we don't really have any more room, 1 already sits out doors. anyone in or around tucson interested, or needing parts, I can get you Brian's number. he doesn't have any 200x 250r or 350x trikes. mainly old hardtails. And go carts, quads, anything with motors. jim

ATC King
12-11-2020, 10:04 AM
Getting a few parts machines and building a runner from those is about the best thing to do, unless buying something obviously garage kept and low hour.

You'll know exactly what you have, and won't be constantly finding surprises every time you go to maintenance or repair it.

There's a huge gap between junk and pristine trikes out there. The trikes in that gap are hard to find at a reasonable price anymore. Better off doing it like you are.

Jim mac
12-13-2020, 11:26 PM
I'm finding the biggest expense is to find tires. And if its not ridden, they go flat. I think the plan is a new front tire on the trikes, just unbolt the hubs and swap hubs and rear tires to the trike I want to work on or ride. the trike being parked will sit with the rear on jack stands.
my registered 185 has a sticky squeeky front and rear brake. pulled the good front brake off this frame and swapped it. stuck a 110 front axle with no brakes on the new project with a good tire. Rear carrier or brakes are stuck, checked my spare and its good to go, so swap the whole assembly this week and it'll roll. jim

Jim mac
12-17-2020, 09:04 PM
its never easy. pulled the carrier and axle easy enough, pressed out the axle due to crud, build up. the drum was stuck solid, knocked it out, both bearings are rusted stuck.
So it needs new bearings and seals. brake shoes fell apart, so needs new shoes too.
well I've got 2 other carriers, so grab the first one and the welded nuts are broke off on both even though both have good brakes and bearings. jim

Jim mac
12-29-2020, 12:32 AM
got the carrier bearings cleaned up, turning and greased up. I know they will need to be replaced but the machine rolls now. got tje original motor unstuck, spins really free without a plug in it, but feels like the compression is low. I swapped the stator plate and flywheel, got the cage on. next up rebuild the recoil. I have piston, rings, gaskets and a new carb on the way. Im missing some misc parts, my parts guy has another complete 185 thats been sitting for years, I was thinking of picking it up for parts, but if it comes home with me, ill be putting it back together in no time. jim

Jim mac
12-31-2020, 04:55 PM
well it starts, bought a 85 200s parts trike, got 200 motor fired up and it didn't smoke, swapped the motor, harness etc and it runs sometimes. Going to get some solderless connectors and replace all the connectors. they are all white and crusty. Sometimes I get no spark, jiggle connectors and it sparks. For now, going to shove it in the corner. original motor is getting a set of rings and lapped valves. jim