PDA

View Full Version : 350x engine question

denn
02-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I am the new owner of a 350x. Being that I am a die hard TRI-Z rider and haven't owned one of these before, I am unfamilar with some stuff.
My question is, should there be exhaust or compression comming out of the crankcase breather tube. I don't know which it is but when i put my hand near it it feels like there is air pumping out of it. I was told this motor was built a little loose, I do hear a little piston slap so I assume it was. Could it be compression blowing past the rings and into the crankcase. The bike runs great, I was just curious if this is an unusual thing. Also when you do wheelies is there any way oil can come out of the crankcase and into the plastic catch at the end of the breather tube. Any info will help.

Thanks Denn

Ddw350
02-24-2004, 11:25 PM
mine has done this since i got it in 93.i think it just like a breather to let air out of the crancase? some times mine has a motor oil smell,but never any smoke.

J.D.
02-24-2004, 11:45 PM
It is perfectly normal for air to be coming out. Ever heard of a PCV valve on a car? Same dealy-o. crankcase ventiliation is needed on 4-strokes, can't remember why right now...maybe someone else knows.

denn
02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the response guys, I feel a bit better now.

Denn

thefox
02-26-2004, 12:08 AM
You need some ventilation of the 4 strokes because otherwise when the pistion went down it would create compretion too. The crank case breather with even this out.