PDA

View Full Version : Kenda Front-Max A/T 22x11-8

ATC King
11-01-2020, 10:20 PM
I got this mounted up today and rode it around.

It replaced the Kenda Scorpion, which I transferred, wheel and all onto my ATC110. For reference in the pictures, both tires are on OEM two piece wheels, so, the same type wheel.

It's been a while since I've put a tire on a two piece wheel and I kind of forgot what a pain they are. I had the refinished wheel halves, reinforcement rings, and a new O-ring in queue for a while though. I kind of like how the two piece wheels look anyway, because there's no drop center, just a smooth tapper.

Onto the Front-Max. It's wider and more rounded than the Scorpion, that's for certain. It has a 2-ply rating, but similar to the Scorpion, it feels more like a 4-ply. That's fine for a tire on a suspended fork though and a little more puncture resistant than something thinner and softer.

On hard and dry surfaces, where traction is normally great anyway, don't expect it to improve on that. In the pasture, where I've got a hard packed, grass covered trail, there's no noticeable difference. From the little I've rode on it, there is a noticeable difference in looser material, compared to the Scorpion. On thing I didn't anticipate is how bad it throws rocks. I rode a short section of eroded gravel road with large size gravel and when turning, the gravel is constantly hitting bottom of the frame and engine. I should probably build and installed some kind of skid plate now. It's that bad. Good that it's biting in more though.

I think the mounting psi and operational psi are backwards. It is specifically mentioned they can be used on two piece wheels.

Blmpkn
11-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Good input. I was planning on purchasing the front max for both the 110, and thent he 200x when it was time. Looked like the best option for a dedicated front tire.

El Camexican
11-05-2020, 08:23 PM
I wish they made a rear tire with the elasticity of that Front Max.

ATC King
11-05-2020, 10:30 PM
For sure, the Front-Max has more give than their Scorpion. I think most of it has to do with the more rounded profile, the Scorpion is nearly flat across the tread.

The Front-Max is certainly physically larger than a Scorpion. I may need to move the mud flap to the outside of the fender, because the center lugs are rubbing on it pretty good. It's an old fender that wasn't in the best of condition, so maybe it's sagging a little.

This tire is still on the heavy side, like other Kenda tires seem to be. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but on these low power, hardtail trikes, it kind of is.

From the tire weight thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/43657-tire-weight-chart
This tire is 16lbs 14oz. Not a lightweight, but it sure does look good.

I'm happy they make this tire in the 22x11-8 size. I've seen it on the sport trikes in those sizes, but it look right at home on the trail trikes.

El Camexican
11-05-2020, 11:19 PM
That tire behaves like the original Dunlop’s did on the new Yamahas. My YTM was clocked at over 54mph numerous times with the stock tires. They would grow like dragster tires at speed. The Scorpions are horrible on a hard tail. No give, no growth and I couldn’t get over 45mph with them. My back hurts when I think about them.

If they made that Front Max tire with square knobs on them I’d buy a pair immediately.

Scootertrash
11-08-2020, 09:22 AM
I have the front max on my 84 200S. I like it.:D