PDA

View Full Version : YTM 225dx ticking

gordonj
11-01-2020, 09:36 AM
I read a post from a while back, someone had a ytm 225dx that was ticking. My '84 that I recovered from a barn has a high pitch "tinny" tick sound coming from it. especially at idle. I haven't adjusted valves yet, but I did pull the cam gear cover and the cam chain has no slop whatsoever. I mean banjo tight. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

El Camexican
11-01-2020, 10:04 AM
Get a manual and set your cam chain and valves ASAP.

My 200 ticks pretty loud (same head as 225). I can’t find anything out of adjustment, so I’ve been using it like that for 10 years. It’s quiet on startup, but once it warms up it starts ticking. I might try a heavier oil one day.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you’re accustom to water cooled engines then any air cooled motor is going to sound noisy.

psujeepguy
11-01-2020, 09:40 PM
I'd say you need to check on those valves. My DX runs silky smooth so I'm interested to see what you find.

gordonj
11-05-2020, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your advise. I adjusted the valves, they were way out. Now it runs like new, quiet and smooth. I’m tickled.

psujeepguy
11-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your advise. I adjusted the valves, they were way out. Now it runs like new, quiet and smooth. I’m tickled.
Always so fulfilling when you can get an issue like this addressed and get your machine running perfect!