PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Honda ATC 250SX

psujeepguy
10-23-2020, 11:36 PM
I came across an a listing for a 1986 250SX. Looks to be in very nice original condition. Price is $3200. Seems pricey, but pretty darn tough to find in the condition that this one is in. I'm considering buying it. Might consider selling my Yamaha 225DX to partially fund....then again I'll probably just keep them all! haha! What do you think? Too pricey or worth it?

shortline10
10-24-2020, 05:59 AM
For that price it would have to be a very nice original survivor , low hour .

350for350
10-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Too pricey for me, but I'm not everybody. I usually buy mine looking poor to just plain beat. Then, slowly, over time, I make them look better. I also don't really want one that looks like a show room piece. I'd be afraid to ride and I can't justify having a trike that I won't ride. I have to agree with shortline. If it's in that good of condition, and you have the money, go for it. If you do get it, please post pictures for the rest of us to drool over.

psujeepguy
10-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Got a little more info. It has been repainted. Tank was replaced with a plastic one and new decals were applied. It is 4 hours from me so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it and get more pics. Sounds like it was well cared for. My offer would definitely start with a "2" though, not a "3".

gimmeamidget
10-24-2020, 09:12 PM
I believe the value is in original tank and very nice original fenders no fade or cracks. If it has aftermarket fenders and tank in my opinion the offer should start with a 1!

psujeepguy
10-24-2020, 09:20 PM
I believe the value is in original tank and very nice original fenders no fade or cracks. If it has aftermarket fenders and tank in my opinion the offer should start with a 1!

The fenders seem to be original and very nice with original decals, no cracks.

Thanks for the thoughts. I need to discuss as much as I can on the phone and get lots before deciding on the trip.

psujeepguy
10-24-2020, 09:25 PM

Here's one of the pics.

shortline10
10-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Looks like a 2000 max machine to me . It’s only original once .

BarnBoy
10-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Shoot thats nothing, you should see the crackhead on Facebook trying to sell one for 9k.

Just kidding, I'd like to have one also but its not a 3k plus machine by any standard. IMO

ATC King
10-25-2020, 05:49 PM
The wheels were painted with the tires on, and I wouldn't be surprised the engine was done the same in the frame without very good prep, going by the poor tape job done for painting the wheels. The put the 'Slime' valve cap on too (or is that painting tape). I can only imagine what the inside of those wheels looks like.

It's not a high value machine, as far as originality or condition, but that isn't keeping people from pricing them like that anymore.

psujeepguy
10-26-2020, 07:40 PM
So the guy selling this sent me a video. Starts right up, and seems to be in the condition the pic shows. I thanked him, but told him it was just out of my price range. He immediately responded that he really had no idea where to price it and asked for my opinion, said he was open to offers. I told him that I felt $1800 was fair. Not necessarily an offer. Maybe I should have said a lower number - but that does seem like a fair price. I really don't like negotiating or discussing price much at all on the phone or text. I like to see in person, but this thing is 4 hours away.

patriot1
10-26-2020, 08:21 PM
The best thing on it are the Dirtrider mud flaps, +$222

ATC King
10-26-2020, 09:14 PM
I like to see in person, but this thing is 4 hours away.

That's about like everything around me. Try not to get the fever, and hold out for a good deal.

UPNATM
10-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Looks to have been cleaned up by the owner, plastic tank, painted the whole motor, etc.
Not sure as to what level of SX you are looking for, all original etc, but myself personally, I cant stand when the motors are completely repainted. It makes me think that they are trying to hide something.
I would rather have some wear and tear, as apposed to that. As far as the price, like everything else relates to where in the country you live, but $1800 still seems
rather high to me. Just my .02. :cool:

psujeepguy
10-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Looks to have been cleaned up by the owner, plastic tank, painted the whole motor, etc.
Not sure as to what level of SX you are looking for, all original etc, but myself personally, I cant stand when the motors are completely repainted. It makes me think that they are trying to hide something.
I would rather have some wear and tear, as apposed to that. As far as the price, like everything else relates to where in the country you live, but $1800 still seems
rather high to me. Just my .02. :cool:

Just read through you SX project thread. Awesome pair of SXs!

Thanks for your everyone's advice. I'm holding off on this one. Seems like it would be a nice rider, but just too expensive.

UPNATM
10-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Just read through you SX project thread. Awesome pair of SXs!

Thanks for your everyone's advice. I'm holding off on this one. Seems like it would be a nice rider, but just too expensive.

Thanks for the props, its was a fun project. Good job holding off, they are out there, and im sure another one will pop up for a much better price.

MrConcdid
10-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is perceived value.
The market will always be the ultimate corrector. Right now parts cost are up, $8 spark plugs and $45- $90 mechanic rates.
So this translate to ATC cost going up too, add to that nostalgia, rarity, and the cool factor and you can see the sky is the limit (kinda)

If the price is higher than you are comfortable with, than continue to look and walk away, as the buyer you are in control, no one is forcing you to buy it. If the seller doesn't sell it in the time
frame he thinks it should, he will drop the price or keep it, that's the market correcting itself.

If you weren't comfortable than you made the right call, give the seller your number encase he changes his mind, it won't hurt.
Only you know what your budget is. What's affordable to one person may not be to another.

Keep searching the right bike will come along, I just sold a bike to a guy who drove 6 hours to get it. He wanted it that bad.

MrC.