PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Honda atc 110 no spark at all

Powerlifter123
08-23-2020, 09:32 PM
Hey all I’ve posted a couple times here about my 125 but that’s all up and running great now. I bought a 110 and seems to be electrical or parts related. Remember I’m a complete newb. I’m going to ask questions and may sound stupid but the more I throw out there hopefully some people will answer some if not all lol

I replaced the points and set gap. I aligned the F so that when on the line the point gap just starts to slightly open. I put in new spark wire harness thing that grounds to the frame with new spark plug. I got wired the black and green wire to remove the kill switch out of the equation.
I just ordered fly wheel remover tool so I can dig deeper into this bike and look at the condenser or stater? See if that’s bad causing no spark.

Is there anything I’m missing? What parts on the bike can cause no spark so I can switch them out with new parts ? The carb is all cleaned but that doesn’t help at all cause I can’t get a spark.

Help me please!!! And thank you!

geyerman89
08-24-2020, 08:21 AM
pull spark plug out, ground it metal to metal on the fins or something. pull recoil while grounded and look for spark. if you pull stator, clean magnet areas on it and rotor

Powerlifter123
08-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Ok thank you will try that. I’ve put spark plug to bolt to ground and have held it in my hand to feel any spark or shock. Nothing.

shortline10
08-24-2020, 11:42 AM
What year 110 ?
79/80 ?
The original coil has the condenser and coil as one piece .

Powerlifter123
08-24-2020, 12:44 PM
It’s an 80. I replaced one with one off amazon that’s the unit. I tried that and I tried the oem part with new points and nothing. Tried original one with new spark cap and new plug still nothing. Now I’m back to the new replacement part back on the bike

DAM shop
08-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Finding spark on a points motor is nothing more that going through everything. It’s been our experience that most spark issues with a points motor are points, wire harness and grounding. Before you start assuming that it’s a stator or a coil check everything else thoroughly.

Powerlifter123
08-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Ok thank you very much. I’ll give it another go before I throw some parts at it. I’m stumped when it comes to electrical. All I have done is remove the wire connect points and wire brushed them to clean the surface

DAM shop
08-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Ok thank you very much. I’ll give it another go before I throw some parts at it. I’m stumped when it comes to electrical. All I have done is remove the wire connect points and wire brushed them to clean the surface

does the harness look as if it has been worked on at all? many times previous owners can't get spark and they mess up the harness with goofy connections or hook something up wrong.. snap a photo of what you have

Powerlifter123
08-24-2020, 03:41 PM
I’ll take a couple photos once I’m home from work. Harness looks stock , not tampered with. The headlight switch and kill switch look in rough shape. That’s one of the reasons I got wired the kill switch. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.

The ground black wire going to the megneto in the flywheel looks like a possible culprit but I don’t want to mess with that. Looks like it’s saudered into the magnet?

DAM shop
08-24-2020, 05:45 PM
I’ll take a couple photos once I’m home from work. Harness looks stock , not tampered with. The headlight switch and kill switch look in rough shape. That’s one of the reasons I got wired the kill switch. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.

The ground black wire going to the megneto in the flywheel looks like a possible culprit but I don’t want to mess with that. Looks like it’s saudered into the magnet?

Those wires from the mag do like to crack but hopefully it’s just the insulation and yes the are soldered into the mag. We’ve had to repair many of those wires on our share of trikes. If you do end up repairing it might I suggest that you solder on a new piece of wire, we generally do it on the inside of that rubber grommet. Do yourself a favor and use the same color and gage wire.
Another source of a spark issue some times is making sure the points wire is hooked up to the points correctly and that it’s not grounding out on the cover. My guess is that if you are not getting anything at the coil it’s that black lead wire you spoke of or a connection.

Powerlifter123
08-24-2020, 06:36 PM
Thanks so much for your replies and help. Really appreciate it. I don’t get how I could have the points installed wrong to accidentally ground them? The wire that sandwiches between the bolt with the points they had this discoloured washers in between it. ( again I’m learning lol) then the cover goes over top of that with the two Phillip screws.

If I have to solder the black wire to the mag where do I make that connection? Seems like it disappears into that coating on the mag itself? I’ll take a look again tonight or tomorrow depending on how much daylight I have after work today.

Again thank you ! If I can figure out the spark issue I’m confident on getting the rest up to snuff to get it running.

DAM shop
08-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Make the connection either on the outside of the case grommet or just to the inside. You do not want to cut to much off to close to the stator in case you screw it up. And yes the points can be hooked up incorrect maybe not by you but someone else, it’s sounds like they are hooked up right. The grounding out that I spoke of is the actual points cover touching the points wire, this generally happens when someone puts a different end on that wire that’s incorrect causing the cover to touch it when it’s installed.

Powerlifter123
08-25-2020, 12:07 PM
Thank you again for your help. Haven’t had a chance to work on it yet. I’m hoping tonight and I’ll take some pics and try and post them up

Powerlifter123
08-26-2020, 11:10 PM
Trying to add pics. If it doesn’t work can some one pm me there email that can help me?

Powerlifter123
08-26-2020, 11:12 PM
Points are set with gauge and spark plug. Ordered the damn wrong size of flywheel puller so waiting on that again now. Took the wires out from the headlight tonight. Going to do up new connections to plug in to wire harness. Sprayed carb cleaner in spark plug hole and pulled half a dozen times. Nothing. Arggggggggggggg

Powerlifter123
08-26-2020, 11:17 PM
What size flywheel puller? I ordered 24 and 27 mm. Way to big.

shortline10
08-27-2020, 06:24 AM
The Stator will come out without removing the flywheel , just remove the recoil cage and the stator bolts .

Powerlifter123
08-27-2020, 09:15 AM
You have a trick to get that out? I tried that and wouldn’t budge.

shortline10
08-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Remove the stator bolts , spray WD40 down the holes and grab and wiggle with needle nose pliers until it comes out , they can be a pain to remove sometimes .

Powerlifter123
08-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Will try tonight

coolpool
08-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Here's a thought. Does your machine have a round headlight by chance with a rubber switch on top? If it does, put the switch on the 2nd or third setting to the right. It's a combo kill switch and headlight switch. Might be as simple as that as it's deceiving what it's purpose is.

I've been corrected, it should only be a headlight switch on the bucket for that year, my bad!

Powerlifter123
08-28-2020, 12:22 PM
Yes round headlight. I sure as hell hope it’s not that! I have the wiring apart now redoing the connections. But thank you! I’ll try that!

shortline10
08-28-2020, 02:51 PM
The 1978 and older atc90 has the off switch on the headlight . The 79/80 head light switch is for lights only .

RodKnockRacing
08-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Had the exact problem and it was the wire coming off the points not making connection. Not saying that's your problem but I can also tell ya stators rarely go bad and make sure your using a OEM Honda 110 coil.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Powerlifter123
08-29-2020, 01:14 AM
Had the exact problem and it was the wire coming off the points not making connection. Not saying that's your problem but I can also tell ya stators rarely go bad and make sure your using a OEM Honda 110 coil.

May I ask why it wasn’t making good contact?

RodKnockRacing
08-29-2020, 02:06 PM
May I ask why it wasn’t making good contact?The connector was bad so I replaced the wire and connector and made sure it was making good contact on the points where the small bolt holds it on

Powerlifter123
08-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Ok thank you. I’ll be working on it today after work for a bit. Only can manage like an hr at a time, kinda sucks. Do you leave those washers in place where the wire attaches to the bolt on the point?

RodKnockRacing
08-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Ok thank you. I’ll be working on it today after work for a bit. Only can manage like an hr at a time, kinda sucks. Do you leave those washers in place where the wire attaches to the bolt on the point?Yeah just make sure there's metal to metal contact and it's tight

Powerlifter123
08-29-2020, 09:19 PM
I’ll post some new pics but man I’m frustrated! About to hand this off to someone who can diagnose this this for me. I hate electrical because I don’t know it haha.

Got the flywheel off with a new puller that came in today. Pulled of the middle magnet thing. Cleaned it and used 500 grit sandpaper to clean it. Was rusted and crap. So I thought this is probably the problem. Cleaned off the other contact points where the magneto spins along inside.

I noticed there is a notch for a spline in there and there was only this tiny half moon piece of spline that fell out. So maybe option two why this things not working. Put it all back together how I found it. Attached the headlight wire harness with new connections and still no spark. Put carb cleaner in there and pulled a bunch. Switching the light switch to each position hoping this could be the cause.

I installed the original ignition coil back on with new spark cap and cut old wire out so I could screw it in to new wire
Checked points and timing and checks out.

I’ll post up pics. I don’t know what to do next. I’m clueless. WhEn I pulled out magneto? The magnet round piece. There was no stator in there. I thought there would be?

HELP please.

Powerlifter123
08-29-2020, 09:26 PM
Here are the pics.

Powerlifter123
08-30-2020, 07:30 PM
I have a voltage meter. What should I be checking and what is normal range? Please and thank you

Powerlifter123
08-31-2020, 01:53 PM
Bump please :)

Powerlifter123
09-02-2020, 10:20 PM
What is the purpose of a spark advancer? Should it be opening and closing as it spins? Which way does it go in?

Homeless Dave
09-02-2020, 11:16 PM
A few months back a customer brought me a 1980 1110. After finding a coil for it (it was missing) i couldnt get it to spark. Then looked for spark across the points without the coil and condenser wired in. Saw spark jump across the points and knew that my coil was bad. Try that. Points ignition systems are very simple to trouble shoot, especially on a single cylinder engine.

Powerlifter123
09-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Oh nice that’s a great tip! I’ll give that a shot! Thank you ! Anything like that helps me narrow the search

DAM shop
09-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Trying to add pics. If it doesn’t work can some one pm me there email that can help me?

I exploded the pic of your point's.. They are open when they should be closed and your timing is way off..

Powerlifter123
09-03-2020, 12:33 PM
That was a random pic. I believe I have timed it correctly now. The point just starts to open slightly with the magneto T lined up to the line. Then it opens to the correct gap. Is this correct then? With the T lined up to line. The cam (pointy part) is pointing to the from of the bike.

DAM shop
09-03-2020, 05:40 PM
Sounds correct yes. The pic caught me off guard.
If you still don’t have spark recheck the wiring. A good percentage of the points motors we work on is a wiring issue.

Powerlifter123
09-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Ok thank you. How come all you atc lovers are in the states?? Lol none of that around here in bc canada

lardog
09-03-2020, 09:10 PM
Did anyone notice the wire connection on the points ? I looks to be grounded out . Re connect the wire under the washer on the right of the fiber washer , see if this helps.

Powerlifter123
09-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Where should the fibre washers be? Bolt,point,fibre washer, wire, fibre washer , washer, lock washer ,nut? I just copied how it was on before with the old one

lardog
09-03-2020, 11:23 PM
The wire is touching the the points , re connect it between the flat washer and fibre washer on the right side , the side with the nut.

Powerlifter123
09-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Ok thank you very much I’ll do that tonight. I’m learning, I had no idea that would make a difference. Why would it though? Won’t the current still travel the same way?

Powerlifter123
09-05-2020, 01:14 PM

Like this

Powerlifter123
09-06-2020, 05:49 PM
It’s ALIVE!!!!!! Thanks to everyone who helped a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro to try and get his 110 running! Appreciate it very much.
I put an add on Craigslist and I brought my bike to a hobby mechanic that works on motocross bike and atvs. Diagnosed it with multi meter working forward from the stator. Stator was good so that’s awesome. Was losing power at the ignition coil somehow. Took home a while to figure it out. But we’re the ignition coil was plugged in previously was the WRONG plug in. I assumed it was right because that’s how I bought it. Oh well. So ignition coil is plugged in to the double connector coming from the stator side.

Runs now. Revs super high and I tried dialing it in to idle smooth where it should but it won’t. Smoke everywhere from the exhaust and no kill switch cause I cut it. So I had to pull the two gas lines and let it run dry lol. Will try and use original killswitch and run it down frame to ignition coil area tucked away. The front light and rear light both work too. So I’m happy happy guy right now

coolpool
09-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Great news! Make sure your throttle cable is routed correctly and isn't being pulled and ensure you have no air leaks at your intake causing the high rev.

Powerlifter123
09-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Ok will check, thank you

Powerlifter123
09-07-2020, 08:16 PM

Got it running smooth and took it for its first ride down the alley back and forth haha. Can’t wait to work on it some more!

lardog
09-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Nice Job now you can go riding and have some fun.:beer