PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a special timing light?

StangLX302
02-23-2004, 06:02 PM
I tried to check my timing on my 185s and I don't get any flashes from my light. I'm 100% positive the light is in good working condition. I hooked the pick up around the wire, then hooked the timing lights power wires to a 12v car battery. My machine does not have a battery, so, that wasn't an option.

Do I need a special timing light? Or am I just hooking this thing up wrong? I'm thinking maybe it didn't work because of the separate battery not being on the same electrical system as the bike. Can I get the power from the headlight wires maybe?

StangLX302
03-13-2004, 06:20 PM
ttt

samster143
03-13-2004, 06:27 PM
That should work...Something else is wrong.

ATCnut
03-13-2004, 09:33 PM
make sure to connect the negative (ground) side of the twelve volt battery to the trike frame. You need to have the same reference on both systems.

bobr
03-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Any 12V source will work. As a test, try it on your car. Bob

bbechtel16
03-14-2004, 12:04 AM
What are you supposed to do with a timing light? I don't get it. :?

StangLX302
03-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Any 12V source will work. As a test, try it on your car. Bob
Yeap. It works fine on my car.

StangLX302
03-14-2004, 10:09 PM
make sure to connect the negative (ground) side of the twelve volt battery to the trike frame. You need to have the same reference on both systems.I think this might be the ticket here. Thanks, I'll try that.

StangLX302
03-14-2004, 10:10 PM
What are you supposed to do with a timing light? I don't get it. :?Ummm......check the ignition timing maybe?

bbechtel16
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
What are you supposed to do with a timing light? I don't get it. :?Ummm......check the ignition timing maybe?
I realize this; but how does it work? And why do you need to check it? I've rebuilt my SX and didn't have to worry about it. I'm not doubting or anything but I don't understand.

StangLX302
03-16-2004, 05:10 PM
I realize this; but how does it work? And why do you need to check it? I've rebuilt my SX and didn't have to worry about it. I'm not doubting or anything but I don't understand.

I'm sorry for leaving that smart ass comment. It's hard to tell 'tone of voice' from reading posts. I thought you were trying to be a wise guy.

Anyways, setting the crank on the 'F' mark and lining up the rotor with the line gets the timing close enough, but, a timing light will get it dead on. It's running fine with the timing lined up this way, but, I'm just a perfectionist about this kind of stuff, some would even say anal.

bbechtel16
03-16-2004, 10:51 PM
No problem man. But I still don't understand how the light works, ie how you use it.

smokinwrench
03-16-2004, 11:59 PM
No problem man. But I still don't understand how the light works, ie how you use it.

While the trike is running the bulb lights up everytime the spark plug fires. While using the light you point it at the timimg mark on your flywheel. Everytime the bulb flashes it should light up the timing mark. If you don't see the timing mark you know the timeing is off and you adjust it so that it is correct.

Thats the best I can explain it with out just showing someone.

bbechtel16
03-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. It all makes sense now. Thanks man.

cpalm1
03-18-2004, 12:43 AM
have you ever been in a room with a strobe light? if so, you know how it make everything appear to be in slow motion. a timing light is a strobe light that you connect to your ignition wire and it lights up every time the spark plug fires. you point the light at the timing marks and it puts them in "slow motion" the timing marks that are spinning at 1400 RPM apear to be not moving at all. now that you can see the marks, you can adjust the timing so it is perfect

thats what a timing light does.

bbechtel16
03-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Cool. A friend of mine tried to explain that part of it to me. I got it for the most part, but everything all fits together now thanks to you guys.

bigredhead
11-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey.. i wonder if one could build a homemade timing light using a flashlight without batteries 2 wires, one to the plug, one to the frame...