PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a better carb alternative for clone 70 motor...

Dirtcrasher
07-16-2020, 05:59 PM
I have a 120 - 125cc Pitster motor in my ATC70 and it has a China carb that has always left the motor underpowered. I didn't care, I just wanted a trike to play with in the yard without getting too serious.

Everytime I spend some time jetting, the carb bowl gasket disintegrates and I have no idea where to find another one, nor do I like running these China carbs; It's a formed o-ring carb with 10 turns in it.

Anyhow, the ID of the front of this knockoff is about 25mm and the motor is a 122CC motor, which seems okay IMHO; So, I grabbed a CRF110 carb and once I had it in my hands I realized that the intake hole size is about 16mm, Honda closed that bore right up for some reason.

IDK why they did that, Honda has great engineers and I'm sure they knew exactly what their CRF motors needs are/were. I guess I'll pop it on and try it but can anyone recommend a different OEM carb to run on this thing please?? Maybe an XR100 would be a good candidate?? Maybe the hole opening is as important as many people believe?? Too much is just as bad as not enough and I am SURE that I'm guilty of trying to jet as rich as possible because we often associate gas flow with HP. I think Billy G brought that up one time, but without a dyno, I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

I'm thinking a used OEM 110 or 125M carb may be a better choice for me... Or maybe a 185 detuned a bit

shortline10
07-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Those motors run good with a 22-24mm carburetor . I’d try a 200x carburetor or maybe a crf150f carburetor .

Tri-Z 250
07-17-2020, 08:58 AM
http://www.sterdyproducts.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=102
Its smaller 20mm but I’m not sure how wild your cam/exhaust ignition may be, to need an oversized carb. I’d call em on availability if it may be an option.

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2020, 03:01 PM
http://www.sterdyproducts.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=102
Its smaller 20mm but I’m not sure how wild your cam/exhaust ignition may be, to need an oversized carb. I’d call em on availability if it may be an option.

Thanks bud but it's out of stock. That must be a knock off carb too??

I'd prefer to stick with an OEM carb and "normal" jets.

All replies are appreciated!!

Edit - I must have an old 86 200X carb laying around, sometimes I forget how many parts I have because I can't see them!! Maybe I can detune it...

Not many decent used OEM carbs out there, the China ones sell like crazy!!