PDA

View Full Version : 350x timing chain trouble

BrandonRadtke
07-14-2020, 10:21 PM
So last winter one of my 350xs locked up on the ice. I just dig into it today and I’m wondering if there’s an easy way to remove the timing chain if my piston is seized. I got one of the cam gear bolts out but the other one is hidden. I tried to spin the motor with a breaker bar and got it to budge about 1/8th turn but I can’t turn it the other way because the flywheel bolt loosens. I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks or am I going to have to cut the chain and put a new one on?

badasskfx
07-15-2020, 04:42 AM
I had the same problem and ended up cutting the chain. Good luck with the tear down.

Dirtcrasher
07-15-2020, 03:07 PM
Yep, just slice it with a cut off wheel.

If you need a new OEM chain, I have a few kickin around...

BrandonRadtke
08-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Kind of funny how I ended up doing this but the bolt was almost to the point where I could get to it so I ground a wrench down on my bench grinder until it fit.once I got it loose enough the cam gear pivoted enough to slip the chain off and pull the cam out. I only didn’t want to cut it because the timing chain was just replaced last year. When I got the motor opened up I found the piston is melted, the connecting rod is bent and snapped at the big end and there are needles from the bearing everywhere in there. Cylinder is cracked too 3-4 inches long of a crack. Currently in the process of looking for a good spare motor or a bottom end and a jug. Then I can still rip my 350 and split the cases on the old bottom end when I have time.