PDA

View Full Version : Stuck caliper and master cylinder piston

agedatc
07-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Hey guys. I'm starting a revitalization project on my 85 200x. It sat mostly idle for 12 years in a shed on a friend's property. Digging into the brakes, and have stuck pistons on both front and rear calipers and the rear master cylinder. Any ideas from the gurus out there?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

shortline10
07-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Can force them out by using a grease gun screwed into the banjo bolt hole .
A little heat if needed .
Their are special pliers for removing caliper pistons .

El Camexican
07-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Compressed air can work too, but make sure to protect your eyes and wrap the caliper with a towel or rags before you blast air into them. I like to push them in a little with a C clamp to break them free first.

350for350
07-05-2020, 09:16 PM
I just ran into this on a 1983 Goldwing. I did like El Camexican said and used a c clamp to push them a little bit first. I got the pistons to move out a little bit with compressed air. I sprayed a little WD-40 on them before I pushed them in again. Then I sprayed some inside the caliper through the banjo bolt hole. I did this thinking that it would help lube up the old, dry seals. It seemed to help. I worked them back and forth several times.

ironchop
07-05-2020, 09:28 PM
I loosened the bleeder on calipers, took a grease gun with and plugged the end right onto the nipple in the bleeder and pumped grease in there until the pistons popped out.... Then I cleaned the grease out of the caliper and reinstall new seals.

agedatc
07-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Can force them out by using a grease gun screwed into the banjo bolt hole .
A little heat if needed .
Their are special pliers for removing caliper pistons .Thanks for the tips.

agedatc
07-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Compressed air can work too, but make sure to protect your eyes and wrap the caliper with a towel or rags before you blast air into them. I like to push them in a little with a C clamp to break them free first.Thanks for the advice. I was able to push them in a bit with a clamp.

agedatc
07-05-2020, 10:27 PM
I just ran into this on a 1983 Goldwing. I did like El Camexican said and used a c clamp to push them a little bit first. I got the pistons to move out a little bit with compressed air. I sprayed a little WD-40 on them before I pushed them in again. Then I sprayed some inside the caliper through the banjo bolt hole. I did this thinking that it would help lube up the old, dry seals. It seemed to help. I worked them back and forth several times.Thanks for answering. I'll keep after it.