PDA

View Full Version : 250sx rear axle assembly

bfediuk
06-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Hey guys. I recently picked up an 85 250sx.

Just finished rebuilding the front fork, including straightening the fork tubes and regreased the steering stem bearings. Front brake kinda works, but I’ll fix that up a little better when I redo the wheel bearings

So onto my problem. Just took the rear axle apart to make sure bearings and seals were good and to clean up the brake. Stripped it down and pulled the axle. Didn’t notice anything off when I did this.

After checking and cleaning everything I tried to install the axle shaft. At first, I didn’t realize the left Side bearing keeper slides off and falls inside the left axle tube. So I had to pull the tube and put the keeper back on. BUT, I can’t get both of the drive hubs on. It’s like the axle isn’t fitting properly in the housing. I’d have to pound on one of the flanges pretty hard and kinda... bend the axle to get them in.

Does the differential spline and ring gear move when you pull the axle? Will it all go back in alignment after I force it back together?

Is it possible the swing arm housing is bent?
Or is it common to force the two flanges in NB after pulling the axle?

Thanks

ChadSaA
06-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Hey guys. I recently picked up an 85 250sx.

Just finished rebuilding the front fork, including straightening the fork tubes and regressing the steering stem bearings. Front brake kinda works, but I’ll fix that up a little better when I redo the wheel bearings

So onto my problem. Just took the rear axle apart to make sure bearings and seals were good and to clean up the brake. Stripped it down and pulled the axle. Didn’t. Price anything off when I did this.

After checking and cleaning everything I tried to install the axle shaft. At first, I didn’t realize the left Side bearing keeper slides off and falls inside the left axle tube. So I had to pull the tube and put the keeper back on. BUT, I can’t get both of the drive hubs on. It’s like the axle isn’t fitting properly in the housing. I’d have to pound on one of the flanges pretty hard and kinda... bend the axle to get them in.

Does the differential spline and ring gear move when you pull the axle? Will it all go back in alignment after I force it back together?

Is it possible the swing arm housing is bent?
Or is it common to force the two flanges in NB after pulling the axle?

ThanksThat axle just slide freely in the diff... Hmmmn don't beat anything take some pictures.... I'll try to help

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bfediuk
06-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Man.... I don’t get it!! It’s got to be a bent housing.

Axle is straight. Diff seems to be in great shape (removed it and seals and splines are good and rotates very nicely. There is no play in the bearings)

Thought maybe when I put the left side tube on that it was bolted on crooked. Nope. Even tried mounting it upside down. Nope, still something wrong. In the picture I’m trying to show how it looks like the axle comes out slightly low (not quite centered). Not sure if it is or my mind wants to think that.

BUT when I bolt the left tube on and seat the axle all the way in (bearing stopper on right side sitting inside the end of the right tube), the axle is NOT centered coming out. It is below center.

I think if I leave the axle slight out to the right with the right bearing stopper out of the tube, the left side is where it is supposed to be.

BYW, if you spin the axle at any time you can see that it spins straight.

WTH!!

bfediuk
06-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Before I took the axle apart I could easily spin the rear axle by hand. I’m considering loosening all of the tube attachment points (left tube at the diff, diff to swingarm, and swingarm to brake plate), putting the drive hubs on (into the bearings and seals), then tighten everything up. If it still spins well I’m gonna run it until I can find another swingarm. I’m guessing this will wear out the bearing in the diff and the wheel bearings.

Any thoughts?