PDA

View Full Version : 84’ Yamahauler 200EL carb questions

tmyers100
04-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Hello,
As stated in the title, I have a 84 Yamahauler 200el. The carb is a Mikuni VM22SH i.d. 24w01.
The three wheeler currently will start in one pull (electric start doesn’t work, that’s my next project)
It idles good when in warm conditions but needs choke 1/2 on, will not run without choke. Seems to not want to hardly idle if A little cooler in the am. When I give it throttle, you have to ease into it and feather it to get going. Wants to die if you draw throttle too fast at all from stop or moving. I did a basic carb clean but am looking for some guidance on how to adjust these carbs correctly. Also has quite a bit of blue smoke while running. Thanks.

El Camexican
04-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Did you remove and clean the small holes in the brass tube that the main jet threads into as well as the pilot jet when you did your cleaning?

Sounds like you either have a slightly plugged pilot jet, or an air leak. Also important is your air cleaner. Do you still have the stock air filter setup on yours?

Basic settings on that carb are the needle clip in the center slot and the fuel screw 1-1/2 turns out.

tmyers100
04-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Yes, I cleaned everything very well with carb cleaner and air. I would like to put a rebuild carb kit in it but they seem impossible to find. The air filter I don’t think is the original, but is clean nevertheless. I also installed a fuel filter in line before the carb years ago. Would this be restricting flow?

El Camexican
04-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Any air filter is ok, but with none they don’t run well. Fuel filter isn’t and issue if it’s clean.

Did you check your float level?

Have to ask again, did you REMOVE your pilot jet and clean all the little holes in it?

tmyers100
04-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Any air filter is ok, but with none they don’t run well. Fuel filter isn’t and issue if it’s clean.

Did you check your float level?

Have to ask again, did you REMOVE your pilot jet and clean all the little holes in it?

Plenty of fuel coming thru the fuel filter. I disassembled whole carb again and cleaned the pilot jet really well but still seem to have some stuff inside. I called local dealer, they do ultra sonic cleaning for carbs so might give that a go. My next issue is gaskets. Some of the gaskets and very small o rings look in tough condition. Is there any gasket sets available for these old carbs? I have not checked float level, just Checked the floats for any leaks and didn’t find any. How would one check a float level?

El Camexican
04-19-2020, 12:32 PM
Go to a site called Jetsrus.com and look for similar Mikuni VM carburetors. Be assured that Yamaha didn’t have a carburetor custom built for the trike, you just need to figure out which one it is that matches the standard issue Mikuni. I can’t say for certain, but I think VM22 is what you’re looking for.

You can also look at Yamaha parts on line, there may still me some OEM stuff available, but you’ll pay mote for that than at jetsrus or Sudco.

Sonic cleaning is a great idea, there will be a lot of residue in that carburetor that no amount of carburetor cleaner will remove.

There are two ways to check your float height. Get onto YouTube and look for them. One involves taking the carburetor apart and measuring it upside down. Too much detail to get into here, but there are lots of videos to explain it. Your carburetor has a screw on the bottom that you can thread a fitting into with a clear hose and check the level that way. By far that is the most accurate, but either one will get you in the ballpark.

I can’t remember what the float height is for that carburetor, but again searching the Mikuni VM22 should find you that information.

tmyers100
04-20-2020, 10:39 PM
The carb also leaks fuel out of bottom nipple on the carb, I assume this is drain/overflow? Also does it hurt to run these engines with synthetic oil? Thanks