PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Oil Filter Cover

sweetip2000
04-15-2020, 08:28 PM
Hey guys some of the bolts are buggered up and were stripped previous to me owning the bike.
2 of the 3 bolts are holding on the oil filter cover.

Do I really need an oil filter on this motor or can I just seal up that area and redrill the cover in ?
I dont know how to heli so anyway thats it.

I hope everyone is doing ok in these difficult times we are in.

350for350
04-15-2020, 08:58 PM
I'd say that the oil filter is pretty important.

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Hey guys some of the bolts are buggered up and were stripped previous to me owning the bike.
2 of the 3 bolts are holding on the oil filter cover.

Do I really need an oil filter on this motor or can I just seal up that area and redrill the cover in ?
I dont know how to heli so anyway thats it.

I hope everyone is doing ok in these difficult times we are in.

Whats up Andy??!! Hope your well!

I wish you kept that 350X, I rebuilt the whole thing in 2 days and you sold it. I think you like switching up your rides :lol:

No, make sure you run the filter, you know all about these things. I'm assuming you don't want to tackle it...

Anyhow, even Autozone has 6mm x 1.00 threaded helicoil kits. Very easy to do and fine for that application.

I do not use helicoils with bolts that will be tightened and removed often, or support an important load like foot peg mount bolts, fork leg pinch bolts or handle bar bolts.

In that case, I use a variety of threaded inserts...

sweetip2000
04-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Whats up Andy??!! Hope your well!

I wish you kept that 350X, I rebuilt the whole thing in 2 days and you sold it. I think you like switching up your rides :lol:

No, make sure you run the filter, you know all about these things. I'm assuming you don't want to tackle it...

Anyhow, even Autozone has 6mm x 1.00 threaded helicoil kits. Very easy to do and fine for that application.

I do not use helicoils with bolts that will be tightened and removed often, or support an important load like foot peg mount bolts, fork leg pinch bolts or handle bar bolts.

In that case, I use a variety of threaded inserts...

Well I am breaking all records here. I bought this 86 250SX 3 years ago and I will keep it. I needed a playful workhorse as I burn lots of fire wood and live in an oak forest so I am always lumberjackin off. I never held onto a trike this long before but this one is a keeper. It had less than 40 hours on it from the original owner. He said his dog chewed up the original plastics in 86. I think he sold the plastics for what I paid for the bike. Everything works great on it. Just needs a few helis around the oil filter cover and new fork seals. Thats it.

I wish I could have kept that 350X you rebuilt. You did such an awesome job on it and never have I seen anyone go through a bike so fast and good. I hope you are able to rebuild that motor in the quad you got and get that into a roller. That would be an awesome trike for sure. Anyway I need the reverse gear and I am always hauling lumber so I need the 250SX or maybe someday a clean low hour original 86 or 87 Big Red.

Great to hear from you and get the damn roof fixed already !! lol

Dirtcrasher
04-25-2020, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear you're okay and still rolling on 3.

You can do a helicoil yourself, they're pretty easy...

Baba Yaga
04-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Just go up a size - drill and retap. Coils are only needed if retaining original fastener size is critical.