PDA

View Full Version : Reverse options

200Maniac
04-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I know there used to be reverse kits for some bikes (200m, etc.)

But are there any DIY reverse options? I.e. like using a gocart reverse gizmo?

I got no where to really ride an ATC , but can use one around my 1.5 acres for yard work. Reverse would be handy..

I know I can look for 200es/250sx/Big Reds, but was thinking about a 110 or something. Plus I have a trx70 I might experiment with..

Options:
- 86 ATC 125 are rare...
- A wrecked trx125 donor would be a good swap (chain + reverse), but they are rare.
- Chinese engine w/reverse?

Outside the box thinking:
- Full electric bike? The TRX with 4 electric "in-wheel" motors might be cool.. or do 3-wheel drive trike!
- Keep gas, but rig up electric motor for reverse? Put motor in trailer? 1 hp winch motor?
- Full mechanical setup with gocart reverse gear box?

Any dumb suggestions welcome..

Homeless Dave
04-15-2020, 09:12 PM
I know there we are kits for some models that changed the high range on trikes with hi/low selector to reverse. I have never seen one, but I know there are threads about them on here. You might see one on eBay once in a while.first gen trx125 swap into a 125m is probably your best bet for a small displacement machine. To save time and money, if I was you I would look for a beater 200es or 250es.

MrConcdid
04-16-2020, 12:23 PM
The only kit I know of was for the 82/83 200e that had the sub-trans with chain drive
It may have worked on any 200 bike with a sub trans. The kit consisted of 2 sprockets and some chain.
sprocket would be easy but the way the engage into the rest of the gear set would be a lot more challenging to build, the sprockets have little studs that side into the other gears on that shaft, linking them together or to separate from the other gears. Its not as easy as just welding 2 sprockets on.

I would also advise just buying a old 1984 big red, they are cheap and plentiful, they have the best options I think. High, low and reverse.
That is the only year I know of to have all there options and drive shaft is a bonus.

MrC.

Red Rider
04-16-2020, 01:38 PM
The easiest reverse kit to install is where you un-install yourself from bike and push it backwards. Doesn't cost a thing, you get some exercise, and it builds up leg muscles too. :p :lol:

SteveRoll
04-16-2020, 02:31 PM
I got a few bikes and none of them got reverse, but i only go forwards anyways. It tends to workout

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Soumnds like you think things out so I'd just grab some parts and have at it.

I've seen backyard or hillbilly engineering make some amazing contraptions...

x-rider
04-18-2020, 01:35 AM
I went with the Chinese motor with 4 speed and reverse. I had a hard time keeping it running after bad gas in the carb. I’m looking at getting a new carb and try to get her running again.

Ranvier
04-18-2020, 02:23 PM
I went with the Chinese motor with 4 speed and reverse. I had a hard time keeping it running after bad gas in the carb. I’m looking at getting a new carb and try to get her running again.

Do you have a link to that motor? Is it autoclutch? I need something for my kids buggy.

x-rider
04-18-2020, 06:24 PM
Do you have a link to that motor? Is it autoclutch? I need something for my kids buggy.

No, it’s a manual clutch. I do not have a link, they pop up on eBay from time to time. I may have got lucky when I got mine. It seems that they are hard to come by in the states. Parts seem easy to find. It had plenty of power when I had it running. Reverse is almost to fast. Just started playing with getting it running again. I don’t know, maybe I didn’t get lucky, lol. I’d check eBay and would not pay more than $500 they also have an air cooled version. Good luck.