PDA

View Full Version : Possible charging issue

Noslo_2
04-12-2020, 02:28 PM
So my 84 200es big red will start with the electric start everyday but after riding for a bit the lights become dim including the neutral and reverse lights. It has a new battery so is it the pulse generator? Thanks

Noslo_2
04-20-2020, 12:46 AM
No one? I don’t know what else could be the issue but I could be missing something

shortline10
04-20-2020, 06:26 AM
Possibly the stator or regulator .
Check the voltage while it’s running, should be 14+ volts

Definitely Not the pulse generator

Noslo_2
04-22-2020, 12:01 AM
Ol I’ll start there thanks

MrConcdid
04-22-2020, 11:27 AM
could be a bad cell in the battery.
Use a ohm meter:
1.- check battery while bike is off should be 11.6 volts to 12.3 volts if not charge and retest, if it fails after charging (replace battery)

2- check battery again while running (no lights on) should be 12.5 to 13.5 volts if it fails you have a charging problem (problem with stator)

if both of these checks are good you have a heavy draw on the system a (short)- check for any corroded or burnt wires.

MrC.

P.S. the pulse generator is.... "what makes time travel possible" at least back the the early 80s when ATC ruled the world.

Noslo_2
04-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Checking operating battery volts and it’s only putting out 7-8 volts so clearly the stator must be the issue I’m assuming

Noslo_2
04-23-2020, 07:39 PM
Is there anything I can do to the stator? Or am I stuck buying a used one hoping that it works?

350for350
04-23-2020, 08:13 PM
I'd recommend buying or downloading a service manual and doing some testing before you buy any parts. I'm not sure that a bad stator can let the engine run while not putting enough voltage into the battery. I'm guessing that it's the voltage regulator. Again, this is where doing some tests would come in handy. From my experience, you don't have to replace the whole stator it it's bad. You just need to replace the source coil in the stator.

shortline10
04-24-2020, 07:10 AM
This model doesn’t have a separate lighting and source coil , it’s one unit that works separately . The motor can run just fine while having a bad lighting coil .
Yes he should test all the components and wiring first .

I'd recommend buying or downloading a service manual and doing some testing before you buy any parts. I'm not sure that a bad stator can let the engine run while not putting enough voltage into the battery. I'm guessing that it's the voltage regulator. Again, this is where doing some tests would come in handy. From my experience, you don't have to replace the whole stator it it's bad. You just need to replace the source coil in the stator.