PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Big Red 200es No Spark

arlaunch
03-31-2020, 11:04 AM
I bought this thing a few years ago in great shape. It would not start when i bought it. A new spark plug fixed that. As the years went by with very little use we noticed it would run great with a new plug, sit for extended periods, and then it needed a new plug to get started again.

If we worked with it for a couple days it would start and run great, park it for awhile and no spark, new plug and it would run. Lots of new plugs.

Now... A new plug won't fix it. No spark.

I have done most of the basic trouble shooting to include a new ignition coil/plug wire, testing the ignition and kill switch etc.

Before i start "shotgunning" parts at it i thought i would ask you folks.

What causes a machine to go through spark plugs???

shortline10
03-31-2020, 11:59 AM
The 84 model has a one year CDI box and they are known to fail . Luckily they are still available new from Honda . Part is not testable .
Can try tapping on the CDI and see if the spark comes back .

Can be many other things as well but like I said it’s a common problem with that year machine .

arlaunch
04-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the input,

I suppose it could be bad coincidence that the plugs were going bad as the machine runs rich because i put to much gear oil on the the air cleaner.

Just all out no spark...

I will try partzilla as Honda of East Toledo seems to be closed.

SteveRoll
04-03-2020, 03:19 PM
For troubleshooting, take measurement readings of all your main parts. For a bike that pops spark plugs, most likely I’d say it’s your carb set up. Improper combustion will cause plugs to foul up. Aside from that, you could have a intermittent spark issue. I’d check all connections, measurements, check the carb for cleanliness. Also pop off the pulse generator cover and ensure it’s properly gapped and clean

arlaunch
05-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Thank you fellas,

I picked up a new OEM CDI from Partzilla. Now I have spark, and a good running machine again.