PDA

View Full Version : 1981 ATC Honda 185s performance aftermarket exhaust options?

StangLX302
02-20-2004, 08:57 PM
My exhaust is getting kinda rusty and leaky on my 185 and I figured instead of buying a new or good used 'stock' system, I might as well go ahead and get some type of better performing aftermarket system.

What are my options? I'm on a budget, so, I don't need something super trick, just maybe something that is a little better/slightly louder than stock.

I see the Cobra systems advertised for about $120.00. That would be within the budget. Are those any good? Are there any others? Where is the best place to order an exhaust from?

Thanks,
Matt

Kaysen
02-20-2004, 11:08 PM
I bought a cobra 185s pipe, and needless to say, I hate it. I have not run the bike so I can't tell you how the pipe helps performance wise, but the fit is awful. The pipe comes outside of the frame on the right side (like on a sport model), and hangs out the back, past the grabbar about 6 inches. To fix this and to get it inside the frame I have cut about 4 inches out of my header, and will soon cut right in front of where the silencer starts to taper to get the silencer straight in the frame, then grind off the mounts, make new ones, fill a hole, make a new one, re-install the core and packing, make sure it looks and fits good, take it back apart, sand it down to bare metal, paint it, put a decal on it. Then I will post some pics. So, if you want a factory fitting exhaust system, I would go with a factory exhaust system. Kaysen

Kaysen
02-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah, also I get my pipe from Western Honda and the tip is bent under, so I send it back to get another, and have to pay to ship it back, WHY??? I didn't bend it... Urgh!! Had to vent. Kaysen

leprogle
02-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Can you post some pics of your bike with the cobra on it?
I would like exhaust that comes out to the side like the sport models, I have a rack that sticks out quite far (good for not going over backwards in a wheelie!!!! :rolleyes: ) I am also pondering about a suspension kit, and would like to know what exhaust will be out of the way
thanks
Jon

Kaysen
02-20-2004, 11:26 PM
I have no pictures because I started cutting right away. But I can send some when I am finished. I would think that it would work if you had suspension because there was plenty of room. I should have it done by this time next week unless I get side tracked with my show pigs. Kaysen

Grant2k
02-21-2004, 04:06 AM
this is my 185 frame with rear suspension and i am using the rear section from an '81 XL200. i am just showing you what it might look like, this system sucks, don't think about it, but here's how it might look.

and as for the cobra, it's not a stock system so it's not made to be stock. you likely are not going to find a stock fitting upgrade exhaust, i mean one that exits through the stock location. and from what i hear neither the Cobra or DG actually add any performance, but they both add a lot of noise. and those are your only options.

sorry but this is the best shot i have.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p134136c932f49eb1a75ff9c96ce47433/f9f29f7f.jpg

Da_Catt
02-21-2004, 05:41 AM
i put the old stock exhaust off my 85 200x on my old 82 185s. header and muffler. it fit and i do not remember it sticking out past the grab bar. the dg with suppertrapp on my 200x sticks out past the grab bar.